cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Add steps without mounting box?

hsq91
Explorer
Explorer
Our Wildwood 263bhxl was "upgraded" with the solidsteps which we hate.

I'd like to add the regular fold up steps underneath, but it looks like there's no "box" to mount the steps. The only thing under the trailer are two triangular pieces of angle iron which don't look like there's enough material to even drill mounting holes.

Anyone done this before? Any options other than having them welded?
7 REPLIES 7

jolvi
Explorer
Explorer
Our new trailer has the Step Above on it and like it up to a point. We usually have sites that allow pretty easy use of it, I can see where it could be a problem on a really steep site. As far as replacing the step with regular folding step I looked at our unit and thought I know why they did this as the folding step would end up in a wheel well which probably would not work. Looked at Torklift website and same issue would not fit.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
I'd call the Torklift customer support folks -- they actually answer the phone and will help you develop a strategy. For example, maybe weld mounting plates to those triangular brackets, which will then give you a place to attach the steps.

Torklift will custom design the steps to fit into the available space. Their steps are not cheap, but they are good.

I second this as well, we have them on our unit and they are the best of both worlds being able to fold up outside and solid. Not really sure why the RV industry thinks everybody wants these steps when a lot of us don't.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
hsq91 wrote:
Our Wildwood 263bhxl was "upgraded" with the solidsteps which we hate.

I'd like to add the regular fold up steps underneath, but it looks like there's no "box" to mount the steps. The only thing under the trailer are two triangular pieces of angle iron which don't look like there's enough material to even drill mounting holes.

Anyone done this before? Any options other than having them welded?

If it was a factory option, I would suspect that the frame is the same regardless of the steps installed. Any chance you can get a look at your model with standard steps? At a dealer, maybe? Or use this excuse to attend an RV show?
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd call the Torklift customer support folks -- they actually answer the phone and will help you develop a strategy. For example, maybe weld mounting plates to those triangular brackets, which will then give you a place to attach the steps.

Torklift will custom design the steps to fit into the available space. Their steps are not cheap, but they are good.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
TorkLift has replacement steps for the fold-up ones. The Torklift steps I have are more adjustable than the MorRyde/Lippert solid steps.

Maybe check them out and see if they're better for you before you go cutting into the body panels to install old-style steps.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Wouldnโ€™t a stool with wide legs be easier, cheaper, faster and adapt to any campground?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with you, those steps are designed for those who stay in one place, not for people who travel. Our 2020 Grand Design Imagine came with the solid steps. I looked underneath at the frame and it looks like the frame has the mounts for fold up steps. I'm pretty sure I'l have to cut some sheet metal to clear the new steps, but I'll be happy to do it.

Doug.