Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foot pedal spring, Thetford Aqua Magic 2

dshinnick
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all-

I removed the foot pedal from our Theford Aqua Magic 2 toilet and the spring that "powers" the foot pedal sprang out. I recovered it, and I can see exactly where it goes, but to re-install it requires that it be "wound" quite tightly as it is forced into its correct location. I worked with it for half an hour before giving up. Thetford says it can't be reinstalled, that I have to buy a whole new base. Easy for them to say. Before I spend $80 on Amazon for a new base, which has the spring pre-installed, I thought I'd run it by the geniuses here and see if anyone has a solution. I called an rv service center and apparently there is no magic tool for this, you just have to crank it around with a pair of pliers, which I couldn't do. Anyone have any success with this critter?

thanks-

dave
10 REPLIES 10

dshinnick
Explorer
Explorer
I'm the original poster. I know now that I need a new base, which I could get from Thetford, but now I guess I'm just being lazy. We push down on the flush lever to flush, and lift on it from the bottom to put it back in position. Works fine. I'll change it sometime. Maybe. Probably. :0)

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same issue last year and messed around 2 days. The Theford will tell you it can not be put back in & I watched YouTube and researched. I replaced the Theford Aqua Magic 2 with the Dometic 310. After about 9 months use I would never go back to a Theford, the 310 actually flushes the bowl all the way around. About $120 with every thing you need. I did add a shut off valve in the water supply behind the bowl.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Did you get this sorted out?

My toilet doesn't always 'close' completely - it's like the spring is weak.

We've been sliding our feet off the pedal when depressed so it snaps fully closed.

I was wondering if a new ball and gasket would fix the problem or is it something deeper?

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
🙂 Hi, since I own the same toilet, I will not be taking it apart.
🙂 Bob 🙂
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:
🙂 Hi, if a man put it together, then a man should be able to put it back together. Need to figure out how it was installed in the first place.

My guess would be special machine/tool that cost way more than $80. Toilet is essential in RV and if you can fix something essential for $80 then that's what I would recommend.
Kevin

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:
🙂 Hi, if a man put it together, then a man should be able to put it back together. Need to figure out how it was installed in the first place.

Most likely installed by a machine, which is why it cannot be re-installed by man. $80/ free delivery/ done! Lesson learned....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Jack_Spratt
Explorer
Explorer
Dometic 310 is the cure for your problem.
The plastic shaft that the pedal rides on is probably worn.
Leprechaun 260 DSF
2017 Big Horn FL3750

'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
🙂 Bob 🙂
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked for a uTube video? You would be amazed at what you can find

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
If you can get by for $80 I would say go for it
Your other options don’t seem to be working out.
If it is a torsional Spring like on a garage door I can see where it would be extremely hard to do.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer