cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

El Paso Wally docking

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
If all goes well, we're planning a trip that includes passing through El Paso, TX.
My question is; is anyone on here concerned for their safety if parking at a WalMart in the area? We've stayed many times at Wallys, but am somewhat concerned about this area, given the recent shootings and being so close to the border.
I know this isn't a PC question, but I'd really like to know your thoughts.
23 REPLIES 23

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Van Horn.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We spent the night in Van Horn TX which was about an hour east of El Paso then drove thru El Paso at about 11am. We stayed at the Walmart just off I-10 in Las Cruces. They have 24 hour security and welcome rvers. Security was not because of any problems and we had a very quiet peaceful night.

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
Another good place for overnighting in the El Paso area is at Cattlemans Steakhouse outside of Fabens (I-10 Exit 49), North about 5 miles on TX 793. The restaurant is located on the Indian Cliffs Ranch (a working ranch) and you can dry camp for free in the upper parking lot. We have camped there numerous times over the past 20 years, last time in 2015. Enjoy a meal in the restaurant (which sits on a bluff) in the evening and watch the lights come on in El Paso, 25 miles away. Road up to the restaurant from TX 793 is a bit steep but we have seen all sizes of RVs in the parking lot over the years. 1st time we stayed there we were driving a 39' DP with a toad.

Best steaks anywhere at reasonable prices.

See http://www.cattlemansranch.com/ for more info and menu.
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Anytown, USA has multiple homicides every week. El Paso, Beverly Hills, Spokane, you name it.

Focus on the negative and live in fear if you wish.

live smartly and don't ask for trouble, is what I wish. My friend lived in el paso for years, how much experience do you have there?
bumpy

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks to all----.I too, have spent some time behind the badge, and try to avoid issues with my fellow man. Just travel'in down the road.
The comment about meth cookers in MT is funny. What isn't cooked there come up from the Golden State, through Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana to the oil fields. Those people are the exception up here.
I did check out the WalMart in Las Cruces and the truck stops.
Hopefully, I won't get banished for the above comments--I'm very sensitive.
Happy New Year

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
PNW_Steve wrote:
Blazing Zippers wrote:
Well, we have a couple "wild & crazy guys" we travel with. You know--Smith & Wesson, and they bring their friend, Rugar. We don't want trouble at all, just traveling through.
Thanks for the tip about Anthony.

🙂 Apparently we run in different social circles. I spend my time hanging out with Colonel Colt 🙂

I have to laugh at this. I joined IRV2 a couple of weeks ago. A comment like this got me banned.

Retired LE and my German friend Sig, is always with me.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

reluyog
Explorer
Explorer
La Tuna Federal Penitentiary,... another staycation destination !
Damian
1983 KW W900, 3406B Cat, RTO14615, 355's
1995 Carriage by Carriage triple axle 22K

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Anytown, USA has multiple homicides every week. El Paso, Beverly Hills, Spokane, you name it.

Focus on the negative and live in fear if you wish.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
years back I asked a friend at work to recommend an area/ RV park in the el paso area as he had lived there in the past. his advice, go 50 miles in either direction to stay. and to boondock.???????????????????
bumpy

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Blazing Zippers wrote:
If all goes well, we're planning a trip that includes passing through El Paso, TX.
My question is; is anyone on here concerned for their safety if parking at a WalMart in the area? We've stayed many times at Wallys, but am somewhat concerned about this area, given the recent shootings and being so close to the border.
I know this isn't a PC question, but I'd really like to know your thoughts.

El Paso is in the Top 10 for safest Border cities proportionate to geographical size and population. It's also in the top 10 safest cities of similar sizes in other parts of the US. There's a lot of fear mongering concerning crime along the border and most of it is pure BS made up by people.

Now with that said, like anywhere else in the US, (North, South, East, West, Border towns, inland town, coats or mountains, Big city or small village), crime can be a problem for many reasons. Would you feel safer in a upscale retail store parking lot in El Paso (still a border place) or in some Wally World parking lot in Montana with a bunch of meth-heads cooking next to you? Safety is not based only on how close to a border you might be.

Like anywhere else in the US, use common sense and planning.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
I typically stay at the KOA on the west side of Las Cruces when traveling through there. For free, maybe the truck stops at the Texas/New Mexico line are an option. I worked in El Paso for two years and wouldn't consider overnighting in any shopping centers, Walmart or otherwise.
Currently Between RVs

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I wouldn't say that if someone succesfully stayed there over night without getting hurt or killed then it must be safe.

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Blazing Zippers wrote:
Well, we have a couple "wild & crazy guys" we travel with. You know--Smith & Wesson, and they bring their friend, Rugar. We don't want trouble at all, just traveling through.
Thanks for the tip about Anthony.

🙂 Apparently we run in different social circles. I spend my time hanging out with Colonel Colt 🙂

I have to laugh at this. I joined IRV2 a couple of weeks ago. A comment like this got me banned.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
after thought on this, There is a Walmart in Las Cruces just off I-10 if that's what you looking at. I believe it is off the 140 Avenita De Mesilla go the the stop light (Valley & turn rt. There are two truck stops at 139 a TA & Loves, food decent at the TA.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold