Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: My perception on real gas
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> My perception on real gas

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/20 10:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe I should tell my buddy to change his car from an alkie car to a gasoline car if gas makes more power.

There is a reason alkie makes more power than gasoline. Especially in supercharged cars. Alkie has O2 in it and gasoline does not.

Alkie (or gasoline with alkie) also has higher octane which does wonders with power on supercharged vehicles.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/20 11:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not an engineer or even have a college degree.... But, have done well with life and I've run regular gas in my 13 F150 Eco since day one..

Towed a #5000 GVWR TT for 5 years on reg and tried premium a couple of times, but never really felt or saw any difference.

Back in Aug 2019, towed the new #7000 GVWR TT and had reg gas in it.. Took the same grades and routes I've taken for years and found the truck getting hotter, having to run one gear lower up the grades and it sucked the gas..

Next trip, I filled up with premium a tank before towing again and went over the same grade and route and with the 92 premium with 10% eth in it did much better.. Back to my normal grade hauling performance with the old trailer.

I have a ODBII phone app and can monitor my boost and temps that the dash gauges does not show and noticed running the 92, I had lower boost and temps for whatever reason..

Been running the 92 since then and I'm seeing about a 1 mpg better overall mileage in my daily commute so dunno??

No proof, just my own butt feelings and I know I'll be ripped on posting this, but what the heck.. It's my butt and my truck! ha, ha!! [emoticon]

Mitch

[image]

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/20 05:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Mitch, I agree, you know your truck best, and butt feelings are reliable. I am curious why you buy premium, with 10 percent alcohol added. IMO, pure gasoline is a better choice, and will give best mileage. I do realize, that pure is hard to find in some areas. I have a couple places near me, that sell pure regular, and a couple that sell pure premium. The Holiday stations near me have a lot of pumps, but only one with pure 92 premium. I use it for all my small engines, motorcycles, snowmobiles, and yard equipment. I fill the truck with it when towing, and my butt can feel the difference too.[emoticon]

Jerry

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/20 05:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ethanol has about 2/3 the energy content of gasoline. If your comparing 93 octane ethanol free to 93 octane E10 you'd expect the ethanol free gasoline to perform about 3% better. A 3% increase in fuel economy could maybe be measured but I don't believe any of us could "feel" a 3% gain in power or fuel economy. Any actual studies that I have read have found more like a 1% reduction in fuel economy and no change in power when using E10 fuel vs ethanol free gasoline. Some engines have been measured to perform slightly better on gasoline with ethanol.

I believe the perception the op had with regard to how his engine performs on one fuel vs another is about like someone saying he finds it easier to walk up a flight of stairs when he has waffles for breakfast vs pancakes.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/20 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Maybe I should tell my buddy to change his car from an alkie car to a gasoline car if gas makes more power.

There is a reason alkie makes more power than gasoline. Especially in supercharged cars. Alkie has O2 in it and gasoline does not.

Alkie (or gasoline with alkie) also has higher octane which does wonders with power on supercharged vehicles.

You're 100% not comparing apples to apples. While your statement is correct, for the application(s) you're referencing, you're just baiting the crowd with it in the context of the thread.....and your wrong in this context.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/20 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

Ethanol has about 2/3 the energy content of gasoline. If your comparing 93 octane ethanol free to 93 octane E10 you'd expect the ethanol free gasoline to perform about 3% better. A 3% increase in fuel economy could maybe be measured but I don't believe any of us could "feel" a 3% gain in power or fuel economy. Any actual studies that I have read have found more like a 1% reduction in fuel economy and no change in power when using E10 fuel vs ethanol free gasoline. Some engines have been measured to perform slightly better on gasoline with ethanol.

I believe the perception the op had with regard to how his engine performs on one fuel vs another is about like someone saying he finds it easier to walk up a flight of stairs when he has waffles for breakfast vs pancakes.

You would be correct if only the fuel was considered and there was total disregard to engine design and computer mapping.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/20 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

You would be correct if only the fuel was considered and there was total disregard to engine design and computer mapping.

Very true, but just another bait post, although I do think the cakes would set heavier in your stomach than the waffles.

As to mapping, I had a snowmobile at one time, that changed the mapping by using the key switch position. It was obvious, when the key was in the regular use position, even when using premium. Seat of pants, felt like a 500cc with low grade fuel mapping. It was in fact a 700cc engine, and felt like it, using premium map setting.

Jerry

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/20 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

You're 100% not comparing apples to apples. While your statement is correct, for the application(s) you're referencing, you're just baiting the crowd with it in the context of the thread.....and your wrong in this context.

LOL, really?

Here's a statement I will make:

ANY engine from -1/8" cubic inch to 10,000 cubic inch + will make more power if it gets to burn more O2 AND fuel in any given time frame.

IOW's if a liquid fuel has O2 within it's structure, (like alcohol, and nitro does) it will make more power than "straight gasoline" EVERY SINGLE TIME in ANY engine.

E10 is an ox fuel. That why the EPA invented it. O2 fuels burn better and more complete.

The reason you can get more power out of E85 than E10 is the O2 content of the fuel. The same goes for "straight gasoline" and E10. You WILL get more power out of it! It's a given!

The reason you get more power out of nitromethane than ethanol is because nitro has over 50% O2 built into it, even though it has way, way, way LESS energy in it.

That is why a TFD burns 12+ gallons of nitro in 4 seconds.

And that is why you will burn about 3 to 4% more fuel on E10 than "straight gasoline" but you WILL make more power with any ox fuel.

Here is a little article about Oxygenated fuels and how they can make more power in ANY engine.

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/20 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pretty sure with 10% ethanol you lose 25% MPG. So it has to be something like 50 cents cheaper to break even?

Jayco-noslide

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/20 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hadn't planned to buy the premium, and then pure gas premium. The pure gas premium came at only a slight increase in price, which is why I jumped at it. 3rd tank was also pure gas.

Made no provisions for measuring MPG.

WRT Turbo on my F150, I would see turbo spooling up to 3/4 range on long uphill climbs. It never got above 1/2 on the premium. Also while deep into the turbo, I perceived more drive train NVH on regular ethanol vs premium pure gas.

Was it financially worth it, probably not. Would I do it again given the same price differential, absolutely. It would probably be a year before I'd have the same opportunity to test, but the problem would be not the same route. I do have an OBDII monitor + Torque on my smart phone, so I could set up some screens and data monitoring. Did not have the OBDII with me on this trip.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> My perception on real gas
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.