cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

04 Cougar M301 bhs by keystone

Socom
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought this 04 cougar travel trailer. Slide out is only working on battery. I disconnected the battery, plugged up to service and slide doesn't work. Is this supposed to be like this or not.Any suggestions on where to start looking for the issue would be helpful.
21 REPLIES 21

ajnolefan
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone had good luck in finding brake drum kits for these 4400lb AL KO axles?

Socom
Explorer
Explorer
Great it worked perfect thanks!

Socom
Explorer
Explorer

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you will follow these directions exactly, it is very easy to post pictures on our forums. One of our moderators, 1492, developed this photo posting app to post your pictures. It works for other internet sites also. There is no need to have a separate hosting site for your pictures in order to use it.

It is very simple to use.
1. Upload your picture from your computer to the app.
2. Copy the resulting URL.
3. Paste that URL into your post

without ANY changes

. No additions or deletions.

Your picture will then appear in your post and be properly sized for use on our forums.:)

If you wish to try it out I started a Picture Posting Test Thread in the DIY forum for members to test the app. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Socom
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure how to post picture. If someone can tell me I will post what brakes I have I believe they are 5 hole

Socom
Explorer
Explorer
Another question...
I have al-ko electric brakes need to order new ones. These are the ones I'm thinking

Ei Trailer Brake Assembly Electric Trailer Brakes 12" x 2" - 2 right & 2 left 5200 6000 7000 lb axles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013779BT8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_XSDhEbNZN7XVZ

I currently have 1003 516/ PRI-GG / SEC-GG ELECTRIC 12X2 AL-KO

Will the new one work?

Socom
Explorer
Explorer
Ok what is the best way to check converter operation status? Multimeter? Or run slide in and out a few time see the battery reaction. The current battery is having no issue opening or closing slide. I was under the impression it should work when plugged into 30amp service,until you all gave me the correct answer it should only work on battery. So how do I check converter?

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
MFL wrote:
Sometimes, just plugging into tow vehicle may add enough juice to battery, to operate slide, if RV battery is low. Hooking jumper cables direct from TV to RV battery will work for an emergency to move slide.

Other question...yes those senors do go bad, and will activate as a reminder, and also activate when battery is low. They have an estimated date of life on the back side, usually about 5 yrs from date of manuf.

Jerry

Same with smoke detectors. Need to be replaced every few years. FWIW, I had the same issue with my LP detector, and it was a low battery causing the issue. Somehow, my converter got blown and wasn't charging my batteries while plugged in at a CG, though it was producing 110v. When I went to leave, I had to fire up my truck and plug it in for about 30 minutes to be able to move my slides in.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Socom wrote:
Just bought this 04 cougar travel trailer. Slide out is only working on battery. I disconnected the battery, plugged up to service and slide doesn't work. Is this supposed to be like this or not.Any suggestions on where to start looking for the issue would be helpful.

Many, if not most, slides run directly from the battery. You =have= to have the battery connected for the slide(s) to work. 12v from the converter runs through the battery to the slide motor(s). If you have a dodgy battery, the converter may not supply enough juice to both charge (or attempt to charge) the battery =and= run the slide motor at the same time. Charge the battery for 24 hours, then have it load tested. If it fails, replace it.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Socom wrote:
Thank you for all the help and answering these beginner questions very very helpful

You're Welcome!

Socom
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the help and answering these beginner questions very very helpful

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sometimes, just plugging into tow vehicle may add enough juice to battery, to operate slide, if RV battery is low. Hooking jumper cables direct from TV to RV battery will work for an emergency to move slide.

Other question...yes those senors do go bad, and will activate as a reminder, and also activate when battery is low. They have an estimated date of life on the back side, usually about 5 yrs from date of manuf.

Jerry

Socom
Explorer
Explorer
My other question is about the propane sensor inside the rig. When travel trailer is plugged into service, no propane on rig at all. The sensor for gas inside rig keeps going off every 2-3 mins with load continue ring. I hit test button it stops and will go off again. Again there is no gas hooked up to this rig right now. It is hard wired into rig. Do these go bad and time to replace or is there another issue I'm unaware of?

Socom
Explorer
Explorer
So best case scenario charge day before leaving, connect battery at camp site plug into service, move slide out. Keep battery connected. Move slide in when leaving. Worst case have to buy battery while camping to get slide in?