Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Winegard Wingman
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Winegard Wingman

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/20 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes and YES. I ran that way from about 2008 till about a month ago. Then I forgot to lower it one day and put on a Sensar IV (With Wingman built in) That too turned out to be an "UPGRADE"

But the wingman by itself is well worth the cost.. There were additional issues with my older Batwing that may have contributed to the difference between a III+Wingman and an IV. in theory there should not be that much difference.

But when I added the wingman I noticed a big difference in range.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/20 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll add my "yes" to all those above. Makes the antenna just about the best you can get. Only takes about a minute not counting climbing up on the roof.[emoticon]
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
2019 Ram Limited 1500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, SB
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/20 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would do the whole thing. Doing so you will get a chance to clean up all the connections. If you don't and you have one corroded connector you will gain very little.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/20 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure that you have room for it, RV manufactures can't read the directions that tells them to allow 10" of clearance.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/20 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, I could not use the Wingman sticking out, so I went with a Jack. I am getting good long range with that, no complaints, but haven't tried the Wingman to compare ranges.

I started with an OEM batwing and eventually, the amplifier in it died (hence the Jack on the Winegard mast), so I agree if you are going to add a Wingman to an older batwing, don't do that. Get all-new.

EDIT--now that I have played with putting the Jack on and off, I think you can just put the batwing with Wingman on the other way around so the Wingman sticks out the other side. Not sure. I am not going out in the dark and rain to see if that is so, but pretty sure.

* This post was edited 01/07/20 07:22pm by BFL13 *

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/20 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got plenty of room for the Wingman

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/20 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Wingman is a definite plus for UHF reception, although the current FCC mandated channel repack has a number of stations moving down to both VHF high and low channels where the batwing already shines.

Repack Plan

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

snowpeke

Nevada City California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/20 08:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Throw the bat wing away and get a jack. The wing gets caught in wind and will break the mount.

2002 Chevy DuraMax
2014 jayco eagle
Two Pekingese dogs

Tom_M

New Hope, MN

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 04:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

EDIT--now that I have played with putting the Jack on and off, I think you can just put the batwing with Wingman on the other way around so the Wingman sticks out the other side.
The Batwing can not be turned around.

When I installed my Batwing there was no room to stow it to the rear so I mounted it so it stows to the side. It has been this way for 9 years and have had no problems.

The Winegard Sensar IV aka Batwing is considered the best RV antenna. It has the best VHF performance of the lot. About 25% of US TV stations are now broadcasting on the VHF band. Because of its small size the Jack does a poor job of receiving VHF. Here's a link to an extensive test that SCVJeff did a few years ago:

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27171026.cfm

The Sensar Pro is a great improvement over the basic wall plate but is not required. It has an adjustable amplifier that can give you 10 db more gain and also has a display for signal level which allows you to find the best direction for the antenna.

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/20 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

Yes, I could not use the Wingman sticking out, so I went with a Jack. I am getting good long range with that, no complaints, but haven't tried the Wingman to compare ranges.

I started with an OEM batwing and eventually, the amplifier in it died (hence the Jack on the Winegard mast), so I agree if you are going to add a Wingman to an older batwing, don't do that. Get all-new.

EDIT--now that I have played with putting the Jack on and off, I think you can just put the batwing with Wingman on the other way around so the Wingman sticks out the other side. Not sure. I am not going out in the dark and rain to see if that is so, but pretty sure.

There is only one way the Wingman will work. You can't turn it (or the Batwing) the other way.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Winegard Wingman
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.