cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LTVA "storage"

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in a small but beautiful LTVA. There are 3 rigs in here with nobody home.. for weeks.

I've spoken to the hosts about this, about what I perceive as people using this place for cheap storage. They have cited no rules about not actually occupying a campsite, nor do they really seem to care. They said one couple had an 'emergency' at home, was supposed to be back by Christmas, and another is on a cruise. The third.. they don't know. I don't have a problem with 'storage' per se, but these rigs are in the nicest spots in the place. It looks to me like they've created their own reservation system by simply dumping their rigs here, only to return whenever they feel like it.

I know I wouldn't feel right about doing this. Thought I'd get your take on this before elevating this to the local BLM office.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman
19 REPLIES 19

Vette_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
Last year at Imperial Dam LTVA there was 2 campers across from us that were sitting vacant the entire time we were there. According to a camper down the road they were using the site as a place to keep their trailer for the winter as it was cheaper to pay for a season pass at the BLM than to pay for storage in Yuma. Imagine that! FYI, don't know if that was true or not, just what we were told.
KE5NCP
2016 Ram CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2018 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

Wergeled10
Explorer
Explorer
thanks

was_butnotnow
Explorer
Explorer
We are in northern Montana at the Fresno Res. on Rte 2 on BLM land high up over the Res. and all around were campers that looked they had been there forever. Later a game warden stopped by and we asked him what the deal was, He said the BLM office is so far away they never get out here so the locals know they can just leave their units without any hassles. We got the last decent spot.

Now in a 05 Monaco Cayman DP 36 PDQ
Traveled many years in NuWa Hitchhiker 5th wheels.
Travel Journals and Adventures of people living this lifestyle

Hitchitch.com

Personal blog with our own travels. www.fulltime.hitchitch.com

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sorry that didn't work out very well. Better luck next year!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Lady next door came home, runs generator for hours, leaves yappy dog in C. Guess it's time to go.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Well, how else were you to know what was going on? for all you knew the host had a family emergency of their own and hadn't been paying attention, and would hop right on it when you said something :-).

But it is too bad, of course, that now they know you are the person who has a problem with it and is willing to speak up.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
keep a written record, in case you want to notify the higher-ups at some future point.
Yeah, that's good. I probably shouldn't have said anything to the hosts, because it's obvious they aren't doing (what I suspect should be) their jobs.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
It's a shame about them being in the best spots.

One thing you could do is keep a written record, in case you want to notify the higher-ups at some future point. It seems like people are more impressed by that kind of thing then just by your word that it was several weeks. You could get a calendar, or a little notebook, and by each date write "still vacant" when they are...

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
I expect it will make your relationship with the host pretty uncomfortable if you elevate it.
That is my concern. I come here several times a year. I'm not sure this is a big enough deal to elevate it. Not that I need any kind of relationship with the hosts, but I do like being allowed in.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I expect it will make your relationship with the host pretty uncomfortable if you elevate it. You could wait till you're ready to leave, but there's a chance people will come back before then.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be here awhile, I'll watch this.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
ItsyRV wrote:
Contact the appropriate regional office of BLM's Law Enforcement Desk. Tell them you want to report some long term unoccupied RV's being stored in an LTVA....

I would use the term abandoned.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Please keep us posted

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
That could very well be true.