cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6 gal electric hot water heater upgrade

Mattsosby
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 18 ft Jayco and hot water heater went out. Wanting to see if anyone has ever replaced the original with a smaller electric one. Don’t really like the use of propane for anything inside.
31 REPLIES 31

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
You can probably add an electric heater to your existing WH via the drain plug.
If the propane part is the only problem, it could be a cheap fix for you.

"Hot Rod" is what you are looking for here. It's a simple install. Saves you time and money over a conversion.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bad idea.

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Hot-Water-Hybrid-Heat/dp/B0024ECCJW/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=camco+electric+water+heater+add+on+element&qid=1579187005&sr=8-5

This will solve your issue. Just make sure you shower FAST and leave a little time between showers...
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
I know it's propane but we love our Girrard instantaneous water heater. Tiny in size but big in performance. Its pricey,but never running out is priceless.

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
I know it's propane but we love our Girrard instantaneous water heater. Tiny in size but big in performance. Its pricey,but never running out is priceless.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
How do you guys get it out of the heater in your home? My water heater is in the basement and there is not enough overhead clearance to get the anode rod out without destroying it. To get a new one in, I had to disconnect the entire heater and tip it on its' side so the anode would slip in the hole.

What am I missing or doing wrong? Does anybody make an anode rod with a hinge in the middle? I can see two joined together with some kind of eye bolt like a Numchuck. Is that kind available anywhere?

You should have pulled up the old anode and cut it, repeat as many times as necessary to get it out, of course prevent dropping the remainder with something like vise grip pliers.

It is hard to find anodes at local stores because folks just don't do the service. Dedicated plumbing shops should have them, and Amazon or eBay has tons of them.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
How do you guys get it out of the heater in your home? My water heater is in the basement and there is not enough overhead clearance to get the anode rod out without destroying it. To get a new one in, I had to disconnect the entire heater and tip it on its' side so the anode would slip in the hole.

What am I missing or doing wrong? Does anybody make an anode rod with a hinge in the middle? I can see two joined together with some kind of eye bolt like a Numchuck. Is that kind available anywhere?
Barney

Edit:
Found one here !
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
I’ve not seen a residential water heater without an anode. The 6 gallon in my shop needs the top removed to access it. Before installing a new water heater, remove the often over tightened anode and reinstall with Teflon tape and do not over tighten, this is so future service will be easy. Water conditions will determine how often an anode needs replaced.

I replaced the one in my DD house, after a few tries with a 24' breaker bar, I just got out my impact wrench!

I bought a GE hybrid water heater and didn't "just" get out an impact wrench, I got out the 1/2" electric impact wrench, followed by the 1/2" air powered impact wrench and finally a borrowed 3/4" impact wrench. I shouldn't have waited to remove that one.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
I’ve not seen a residential water heater without an anode. The 6 gallon in my shop needs the top removed to access it. Before installing a new water heater, remove the often over tightened anode and reinstall with Teflon tape and do not over tighten, this is so future service will be easy. Water conditions will determine how often an anode needs replaced.

I replaced the one in my DD house, after a few tries with a 24' breaker bar, I just got out my impact wrench!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Guy Roan wrote:
I would do it in a heart beat.
We have a 40 foot two year old trailer with a Suburban gas/electric water heater, and as soon as it quits I'll replace it with a 6 gallon residential all electric one like I have at home.

I figured I would maintain this in accordance with the book, and the first year I pulled out the anode to check it and it was still good.
When I put it back in no matter how tight I snugged it, it leaked.
I finally gave up and put a cheater bar on it and figure I would just leave it until it wears out and then replace it with something that is not junk.
My electric one at home is 30 years old and has no anode. I have another one in a guest house that is 20 years old with no anode.

On my last two trailer they were gas/electric with no anode and each of those were just drained once a year and I never had a problem like with this present piece of junk

Guy

Wow! You really hate gas hot water!
I love having gas range and hot water, yes use electric for heat as we get it as part of the campsite. That said I love gas hot water, for the extremely fast recovery, even with two ladies taking showers before me I always had plenty of hot water, even with a 6 gallon tank.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
I would do it in a heart beat.
We have a 40 foot two year old trailer with a Suburban gas/electric water heater, and as soon as it quits I'll replace it with a 6 gallon residential all electric one like I have at home.

I figured I would maintain this in accordance with the book, and the first year I pulled out the anode to check it and it was still good.
When I put it back in no matter how tight I snugged it, it leaked.
I finally gave up and put a cheater bar on it and figure I would just leave it until it wears out and then replace it with something that is not junk.
My electric one at home is 30 years old and has no anode. I have another one in a guest house that is 20 years old with no anode.

On my last two trailer they were gas/electric with no anode and each of those were just drained once a year and I never had a problem like with this present piece of junk

Guy

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I check the anode rod in my residential water heater every year. I thought everyone did.
If you change to all electric, you are restricted to camping CG with electric or carrying a gen set or being without hot water and heat. I like boondocking to much for that.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
You could always swap out the element for a lower wattage one.

Long time between showers ! Of course if the shower is big enough, you could always "shower with a friend" !

Lynnmor wrote:
If you do downgrade to a residential water heater, remember to have double the height available so you can pull the anode rod out the top. Yes, it has one.

You must be a plumber ! Never heard of ANYONE changing an anode, not that it is bad idea.

I just thought it would be better to have an element that could be powered as opposed to one that trips the breaker and provides no heat.

It is true that very few have a clue. The major big home improvement stores quit stocking anodes because folks are irresponsible and destroy much of what they own.