cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

State route 89A from Flagstaff to Sedona

davidbt
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about taking this route from the South rim of the grand canyon to Sedona. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks
17 REPLIES 17

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
These 3 members know how to drive in the mountains. Others have trouble on a straight Interstate with 16' lanes. Know your capabilities and your limitations and learn from those more highly skilled.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
I guess it depends on the person, I took a 30' class C motor-home to the top of Pike's peak. Just need to look ahead so you can swing wide on the narrow switchbacks
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

skipperjon
Explorer
Explorer
I drove that road dozens of times in a 45' motorcoach. Nothing to it.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We did it in 1999 pulling a 24ft TT. Make sure you're breaks are good and take it easy.It's a beautiful drive.

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
The posts above describe the route fairly accurately except for a couple of points. First, and most important, the route is restricted for TRUCKS over 50'. I've checked with ADOT and use by RV's, either towed or Class A's or Class C's is not restricted although it is not recommended. Read the signs CLOSELY. This applies to 89A from FLagstaff to Sedona and also from Clarkdale to Prescott. I have run both segments in a large Class A pulling a pickup toad and the route is tight, but doable. On the Flagstaff to Sedona section if you are going south, the route is easier to drive than northbound. The segment along side Oak Creek has a fairly high road crown and if northbound the cliff's on the right are very close to the shoulder. Unless you are careful, it's possible to clear the lower parts of the cliff but hit the upper area or awnings while fully in your lane. Southbound you will see some cliff faces to your right on the hairpin turns, but clearances are not as tight. Overheated brakes and transmissions are possible so if you have a compression brake or Jake brake, use it and control your speed. There are occasional turnouts on both 89A segments, but you'll probably pick up a line of traffic behind you between turnouts. Traffic through Jerome on the southern segment can be tight and busy in tourist season. People don't expect big rigs. There are no runaway ramps on either segment.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I went down 89A to Sedona towing a 32-foot fifth wheel with no problem--I just used ordinary care by taking each curve at the recommended the speed and swinging wide to keep trailer wheels inside my lane. As you near Sedona there are likely to be a lot of people walking along (and in) the road, so watch out for them.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
There is a sign just before you drop into the canyon stating 50' limit. Don't know how well that is enforced, but would be a long trip back if you were not allowed to go thru. And the curves, switchbacks, and narrow highway mean there are places where you will be taking up your lane and part of the oncoming lane. Or scraping the rocks along side.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
we are driving it tommorrow with a 35' 5er and a second trlr with the sxs. Going to Bouse and the Q. no problem.

Your rig sounds like it is well over 50โ€™ and that makes you illegal. Expect to be stopped and cited. Probably have to disconnect the sxsโ€™ trailer as well. IMHO: No reason to do it and lots of reasons not to.

:h

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
The only real obstacle is the 3 mile section of 7 percent grade and switchbacks. The remainder is alright. Most don't recommend going through with a large rv. We did it in our toad. Here is a video of the trip. The switchbacks start at about 10:40. Its beautiful country around that area. One of my favourites. This isn't my video, just one I found on YouTube. Cheers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCIx1TtDDu4

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I commuted on it for awhile. It is steep in places and windy. There can be some traffic. Few places to pull over. Very scenic and a great ride. If you have skills pulling it is no big deal.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
There are easier routes. Did it once in 35 ft MH towing Jeep Wrangler. Wife had her eyes closed all way down. Make sure brakes are in good shape and use engine braking as much as possible. Once you get into canyon there isn't any pull outs for rig that size. Beautiful scenery.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
For about the first 10 miles from Flagstaff south to Oak Creek Vista, no problem. After that, the road has about 2 miles of switchbacks dropping into Oak Creek Canyon. Then you're pretty much on the floor of the canyon driving alongside the creek. Fairly narrow, rocky walls and trees bordering the road. Nothing over 50' allowed through Oak Creek Canyon.

So as others stated, it's doable for an experienced driver with a rig that's not very large. My partner used to drive our Class C through there without issue. We drove through once with our previous Class A and nicked a side mirror. I'm never going to drive our current MH through Oak Creek Canyon. Few months ago, I saw a Class C parked on the side of the road. Two people were holding the awning (with hardware) apart from the MH. Awning must have just ripped off.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
davidbt wrote:
Thinking about taking this route from the South rim of the grand canyon to Sedona. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

It's a fairly easy road. From the GC to Flag is nothing and usually the only issue is congestion. From Flag to Sedona is a tad bit more winding, but a nice drive none the less. The only concern on 89A south of Flag would be if you're driving or hauling an RV. Size and skill will be a major factor in deciding to take 89A from Flag to Sedona. A small RV is doable, but anything larger can cause indigestion. As an FYI, there will be a couple of steep grades on hairpin curves.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
we are driving it tommorrow with a 35' 5er and a second trlr with the sxs. Going to Bouse and the Q. no problem.