Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: "Death Wobble" updated, fixed
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> "Death Wobble" updated, fixed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
GWolfe

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've heard about it but never experienced it until recently.

We have a 2017 F250 4wd at work with around 26,000 miles on it, gas engine. At any speed above about 45MPH the steering wheel will start to shake, some times pretty bad. It takes a bump, like an expansion joint on a bridge, to get it started, sometimes it will be a little wobble in the steering wheel that goes away, other times it gets bad enough that it is hard to control the truck until you get it slowed down to under 35MPH.

We had it into the dealer who told us that a fix had just been figured out and that we were waiting on parts and sent us on our way. The service adviser said that he hoped a recall would be coming but he wasn't holding his breath.

I was just wondering if any of you had experienced this and what you did to fix it? Right now the truck is stuck to city streets with no highway driving which really adds to the drive time when you have to go across town.

We have four F250s in our fleet ranging from a 2005 with the 6.0l Powerstroke, an 08 with the Triton 5.4l, and two 2017s with the 6.2l gas, this one truck is the only one with this problem. Funny the other three are used as plow trucks in the winter, this one just sits.

* This post was edited 02/10/20 06:01am by GWolfe *

2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/20 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Steering stabilizers are pretty much a sure fix for any vehicle that starts doing that from Jeep size to Class A. They are not that difficult to DIY and just work every time, even if the front end is totally worn out.
https://www.amazon.com/Rough-Country-8749130-Steering-Stabilizer/dp/B07CTVKY1V/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=steering+stabilizer&qid=1578492551&sr=8-7

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/20 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

According to the answered questions this only works on lifted trucks, minimum 2 inch lift.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

librty02

Western Pa

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Steering stabilizers are just a band aide to any death wobble issue. The cause is always worn drag link, track bar ends, ball joints, or the caster being off. The super duty pages on Facebook are blaming it all on the degree of the caster shim and changing that out to the correct one is supposedly fixing this issue. You many want to look at the FB super duty pages and search for more info on this.

2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

Vw triker

Millboro

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the same thing happen with my 2001 Dodge truck, different brand I know,but it relates. Running 70 mph crossed a bridge and thought the fenders were going to fly off, stuff in the cab flew all over.
Pulled over checked what I could found nothing missing. Decided to go to the next exit, much slower of course. Next bridge, same thing.
Anyway, made it to the next exit, looked truck over, checked tire pressure, all tires 15 pounds low. Aired tires up to proper pressure and have not had anymore problems,that was a couple years ago.turned out my pressure gauge was bad, that's why all tires were low.

* This post was edited 01/08/20 08:41am by Vw triker *

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/20 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Rams were famous for this issue. We have 140 K miles on our Ram, and it showed “zero” evidence of front end issues......never even have done a front end alignment! Then, 2 1/2 weeks ago .....we experienced a tie-rod separation! Thankfully, we were going very slowly on a snow covered dirt road, and we weren’t towing our 20K pound 5th wheel.....only a utility trailer with our Polaris Ranger onboard! It’s a bit unnerving when you have absolutely “zero” control of your rig!

I said all of that, to say all of this..... “get a good mechanic to do an inspection of your truck! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heavy duty steering stabilizers do NOT always cur death wobble and they absolutely don't address the root cause.
In short, the cause(s) can be any number of things and it seems dw is one of the more difficult things to diagnose sometimes. And while it typically is a function of worn out steering or suspension parts, often a combination of parts, it doesn't have to be. I recall a very low mile 09 F350 we had on the job that death wobbled. This "phenmomenon" while exclusive to solid front axles is not exclusive to any brand/model of vehicle.
Possible causes (that I can think of):
-Tires out of round, broken belts/separated tread.
-Tire pressure (sort of, like shocks, it doesn't cause it, it exaggerates an already faulty condition)
-Bad aftermarket steering or suspension geometry
-Worn tie rod ends/pittman/idler arm bushings.
-Worn or loose track bar bushings.
-Not enough positive caster in front axle/bad alignment.

In less pronounced cases, a front end may seem fine until the right set of conditions/oscillations get dw started. In more pronounced cases, simply getting up to speed kicks it off.
Shocks and steering stabilizers can help mask or exaggerate the condition, but in and of themselves, they are not the cause, therefore replacing a bad set of shocks or slapping on double stabilizers is not the answer, as it might just cover up the real problem (for a while).

Given the lack of wear n tear on the truck in question, I'd start with the first and last item on that list.

But why even mess with it, warranty, right?
What "parts" are back ordered? You've apparently had it to the dealer and diagnosed, so you have more info than us already.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought death wobble was pretty much just a thing with Jeeps and older Rams but I guess not. I'd say worn front end parts are often the culprit but that wouldn't make much sense on a 2017. Make the dealer fix it under warranty.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Iraqvet05

Greenwood, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/20 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the death wobble on my F-250 last year. It occurred with 29k miles on the odometer. My dealer applied the latest TSB at the time, replacing the stabilizer and adjusting the caster. Within a few weeks of that, I added an aftermarket dual stabilizer and replaced the tires. I'm at 40k miles now and haven't experienced the wobble again. If you look at the threads on the Ford Enthusiast forum, you will find guys with low mileage 2019s experiencing the issue. Not sure if Ford has really found a fix but the stabilizers always seem to be on back order for the TSB.

2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

NJRVer

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/20 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memtb wrote:

The Rams were famous for this issue. We have 140 K miles on our Ram, and it showed “zero” evidence of front end issues......never even have done a front end alignment! Then, 2 1/2 weeks ago .....we experienced a tie-rod separation! Thankfully, we were going very slowly on a snow covered dirt road, and we weren’t towing our 20K pound 5th wheel.....only a utility trailer with our Polaris Ranger onboard! It’s a bit unnerving when you have absolutely “zero” control of your rig!

I said all of that, to say all of this..... “get a good mechanic to do an inspection of your truck! memtb

Did your truck fall under the drag link recall?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> "Death Wobble" updated, fixed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.