Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: "Death Wobble" updated, fixed
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> "Death Wobble" updated, fixed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/20 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NJRVer wrote:

memtb wrote:

The Rams were famous for this issue. We have 140 K miles on our Ram, and it showed “zero” evidence of front end issues......never even have done a front end alignment! Then, 2 1/2 weeks ago .....we experienced a tie-rod separation! Thankfully, we were going very slowly on a snow covered dirt road, and we weren’t towing our 20K pound 5th wheel.....only a utility trailer with our Polaris Ranger onboard! It’s a bit unnerving when you have absolutely “zero” control of your rig!

I said all of that, to say all of this..... “get a good mechanic to do an inspection of your truck! memtb

Did your truck fall under the drag link recall?

NJRVer, Yes it did, and was inspected! Unless there has been something of recent, we weren’t aware of. Ours was inspected quite a few years ago! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 05 Super Duty and drove it to around 180k miles and with a couple sets of BF Goodrich AT tires and a couple sets of KO tires I never had a death wobble incident. My current 12 Super Duty experienced the death wobble twice in close proximity of each other that occurred at the end of life on BF Goodrich AT second generation tires at around ~80k miles. Once I replaced those tires I never had a death wobble incident and I'm currently at ~180k miles. Still have the original steering dampener and all suspension components and alignment are still original except the shocks.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

I had a 05 Super Duty and drove it to around 180k miles and with a couple sets of BF Goodrich AT tires and a couple sets of KO tires I never had a death wobble incident. My current 12 Super Duty experienced the death wobble twice in close proximity of each other that occurred at the end of life on BF Goodrich AT second generation tires at around ~80k miles. Once I replaced those tires I never had a death wobble incident and I'm currently at ~180k miles. Still have the original steering dampener and all suspension components and alignment are still original except the shocks.

BFG's are the one of the big causes of DW in Dodge/Ram trucks as well. Much more so than any other tire.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/20 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

BFG's are the one of the big causes of DW in Dodge/Ram trucks as well. Much more so than any other tire.

Scott, is this the same guy that is always bashing RAM about death wobble?

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

The last tires I had on my truck were KO2s and I never had any DW issues with them, but they wore really poorly so I am trying something else now. I'm at about 60,000 miles currently.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

ScottG wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Not sure who that is (I've probably blocked him..) but the tire matter is common discussion on the TDR. When someone reports DW, that's the first question that rings out; Do you have BFG AT's?. Surely part of the problem is the squishy LR D sidewalls of those tires. OTOH, there seems to be no end to the number of parts that can cause it.

Flashman

Tucson, Aizona, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 04:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

ScottG wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Yes sir - thats him.

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any solid axle 4x4 can death wobble. If it didn't do it when new, something is worn out or out of adjustment. So many people struggle with this instead of just replacing the parts and moving on.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

We were experiencing the death wobble in this 2-ton Hino.

A set of new front tires cured it.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd Regular cab.
What real trucks really look like.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

shum02

Burlington ON CDA

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

twodownzero wrote:

Any solid axle 4x4 can death wobble. If it didn't do it when new, something is worn out or out of adjustment. So many people struggle with this instead of just replacing the parts and moving on.

180k miles on a OEM steering stabilizer? On my FX4 the factory Rancho was shot way before that. Replaced it and all the related front end gear and have never had an issue with mine with over a quarter million miles. As a note even the good aftermark parts don't last more than 100k miles with these truck even if hiway driven. When one part goes just replace everything, you're going to do it eventually anyway.

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> "Death Wobble" updated, fixed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.