Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Requesting solution from knowledgeable RV.NET collective
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Requesting solution from knowledgeable RV.NET collective

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
RAS43

Littleton,CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV-1/2n-FUN wrote:

Again, thanks for all replies.

Group 29DC at Walmart for $100.00 each with 2 YEAR FREE REPLACEMENT and a pair in parallel will fit.

p.s. -- not too concerned about being WET since if I roll the MH pretty sure other issue will arise.

Good choice, that is what I have and will begin the third year this spring. I have dry camped for a couple days due to a power failure and they did fine.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/20 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

MDKMDK wrote:

Yes, they are. And you can mount them upside down if you want. Try that with your "wets". [emoticon]

Guess what happens if you forget to recharge them to 0.5a/100AH at 14.x volts until amps taper that low. (see that guide and the other brands' guides, same thing.) You need an ammeter and a charger that will hold 14.x volts for as long as needed to get that done, which many chargers/converters can't do.

Also AGMs can be mounted sideways but not upside down.

Hmm ... we've been over some of what you say above, before.

Keeping lead acid (liquid or AGM) batteries as close to fully charged as much as possible is what makes them serviceable for the longest possible time. I've seen nothing in print from the experts as to why voltages above 14 are required - if one has the time to let them fully charge up using less than 14 volts.

My 2nd set of AGM RV batteries in 14 years is doing as fine as the 1st set did (for their first 8 or 9 years) using only the stock 13.6-13.8 volt converter in the RV and the engine alternator when traveling to charge them. While in storage both sets of AGM batteries were/are continuously hooked up to the converter, since the RV is plugged in all the time during storage.

I'm still looking for my first technical paper detailing the reasons why voltages greater than 14 are required to fully charge lead acid batteries - assuming that an ammeter shows the batteries have reached the low 0.5 amp fully charged current acceptance rate at whatever charging voltage was used.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't help you there, Phil. I understand the question. The various AGM guides say to charge at 14.x where x depends on brand/type, and the AGM battery specs give 14.x for use when "cycling" and 13.x when in use as a UPS.

Mex once said something about needing the 14.x to force more into the glass mats ISTR, but not sure what he meant.

I suspect you are getting enough 14.x from alternator time to satisfy the requirement somewhat plus you do the right thing for fully recharging them.

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Requesting solution from knowledgeable RV.NET collective
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.