cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 Silverado 2500

Marine0311
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased a 2020 Silverado 2500 with PUCK system for hitch placement. Told dealer that I would be using it as a tow vehicle and was assured that this vehicle would be all I needed. Turns out that Chevrolet moved the puck system back behind the rear axle for the 2020 year model. If anyone out there has one of these trucks with PUCK system, what hitch are you using? I've contact several hitch manufacturers and they say they are aware of the issue, and are designing new hitches. Can't find anyone yet at Chevrolet to tell me why they moved the location. The way it is now, the weight of the king pin will be just aft of the rear axle, a condition which I would think would raise the front end some. If I had to do it over again, I would of bought a truck with out the PUCK system.
28 REPLIES 28

joelabq
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am using the Standard B&W non-slider on my 2020 Silverado 2500. I left it configured straight up instead of adding the extra 2", and I can do near 90 degrees on unlevel terrain. Coming from a long bed I was concerned, but I do not feel its a problem with this longer short bed.
2020 Chevy Duramax 2500
2013 Wildcat 312bhx-ok

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Bedlam wrote:
What does the engine block heater plug have to do with selecting a puck compatible hitch in the bed?

Opps, wrong link posted.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
chiefneon wrote:
2001400ex wrote:
chiefneon wrote:
Howdy!

You may want to consider going to a Reece Goose Box instead. With it you change the pin box and use a gooseneck ball. Leaves you with a clean truck bed. I did it las year an I’m very pleased with the way it tows and we are fulltimers.

Reece Goose Box

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

How do I check to see if this is compatible with my lippert frame? My buddy converts his to gooseneck and he likes it. But I've read they can do damage to the frame. This one says it's compatible unlike others.

Howdy!

The Reece Goose Box is different from the typical gooseneck. It has a airbag and shocks in goosebox pin box. It is the only one approved to be use by Lippert to not void the warranty.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-158663.html

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

Maybe Lipert figures the reduced shock stress provided by the airbag somehow makes up for the added torsional stress due to the extended torque arm.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Squirrel!!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bedlam
deltabravo wrote:
I like This Feature on the 2020 GM trucks

What does the engine block heater plug have to do with selecting a puck compatible hitch in the bed?

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

smithrhjr
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't state the length of your bed so I am going to ask a similar question. I purchased a 2020 Chevy 2500 HD crew cab with the new length bed 6' 8" From all indications, I will need a slider for my 5th wheel trailer. I much prefer an auto slider and right now the only company offering one is DEMCO. Do I really need the slider and if so, what other suggestions do you have?
2018 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 34' 8"
2020 Chevy 2500 HD 6' 8" bed new this year 6.6L V8 gas engine (That's right, not diesel)

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Toolguy5 wrote:
I purchased the 2020 3500 GMC Sierra.
The lengthen the bed and wheel base.
I am using the B&W companion hitch.
I already had a B&W companion slider I just had to purchase the base to fit in GM’s puck system.

So you had the B&W slider. You used the head from it and bought a new base. What are you doing with the slider base? Should have sold the slider, used they go for a pretty penny.

I had a similar situation. I had a 18k Companion that attached to the B&W Gooseneck post. I could have bought the puck base and used the old head. By doing that I would have been left with a boat anchor. Instead I sold the 18k Companion on CL first call and then bought a complete new 25k companion puck setup.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased the 2020 3500 GMC Sierra.
The lengthen the bed and wheel base.
I am using the B&W companion hitch.
I already had a B&W companion slider I just had to purchase the base to fit in GM’s puck system.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
2001400ex wrote:
chiefneon wrote:
Howdy!

You may want to consider going to a Reece Goose Box instead. With it you change the pin box and use a gooseneck ball. Leaves you with a clean truck bed. I did it las year an I’m very pleased with the way it tows and we are fulltimers.

Reece Goose Box

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

How do I check to see if this is compatible with my lippert frame? My buddy converts his to gooseneck and he likes it. But I've read they can do damage to the frame. This one says it's compatible unlike others.

Howdy!

The Reece Goose Box is different from the typical gooseneck. It has a airbag and shocks in goosebox pin box. It is the only one approved to be use by Lippert to not void the warranty.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-158663.html

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
As mentioned call B&W. You want facts, they will be happy to help.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
How many inches back?
I played around with my Andersen and B&W and 2-4" made no difference in handling.
It also will depend on heavy your pin is. Mine was only 1800 lbs.

Not to be a wise butt head, but 1800 pounds really won't make much of a diff as you stated. When you're pushing 3500-4000+, that's where you're king pin location makes a diff. Especially for steering. Just look at folks towing TT where truck's headlights could guide in 747's, sparks from safety chains would make Smokey the bear cry and only front brakes on tandem axle trailer work right (or too much). Oh, not to mention the rear of TT high enough that a 'Vette can easily fit under it.

Agree thats why I said what I said in my post. I never saw what the OP's pin weight was.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^^ Exactly. It's no big deal. I've got my B&W adjusted to place my pin weight as far back as possible on my Ford to gain as much cab to trailer clearance. Adjusted this way it puts the pin directly over the rear axle. On the Chevy you could adjust the B&W to place the pin forward and you'd likely be directly over your rear axle.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
At a wheelbase of 160 inches and 4 inches behind the rear axle a 2500 lb pin will only remove 63 lbs from the front axle.