cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How much 5th Wheel can I tow with my truck

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Currently I have a Forest River Hemisphere GLX that weighs in the neighborhood of 8500LB dry and about 9500LB loaded. I do not travel with water other than a couple of gallons in the black tank to slosh around. It tows fine and my truck handles it with ease but I'm not very happy with it (poorly and cheaply built). I'm beginning to look at new 5th Wheels but I have no idea what my truck can handle and we all know how a dealer will tell you anything to make a sale. I'm not in a position to change trucks for another three years so I have to stick with the truck I have. I understand that a Dually Diesel is a preferable tow vehicle but not in the cards for me right now. As for the math, everything gets so confusing to me that I need some help. Can someone please give me an idea of the dry weight and max weight of a 5th wheel I should be looking at? Also, what else should I be paying attention to on the sticker of a new 5th wheel? I know I need to look at Pin weight but what else? I'll be adding the same amount of stuff I carry in the rig I have now so please keep that in mind too. We're going to the Tampa RV Supershow on January 16th to browse. Below are the specs of my truck. Thank you for any help you can give me.

From the manual
2017 Ram Crew Cab with 6'6" box. 6.4 Hemi with 3.73 rear end GVWR 10,800 Max Payload 4010LB GCWR 19,900 Max Trailer Weight 12,640

From the Stickers on my truck
GAWR Front 5500LB GAWR Rear 7000LB Max Payload 3900LB

My weight additions
Me 225LB Wife 130LB Spray in Bed Liner 50LB Folding Tonneau Cover 60LB 31 Gallon tank = 186LB when full. B&W Patriot 16K hitch with rails weighs about 175LB total. Then figure I'm going to be adding "Stuff", about 1000LB.

If I forgot anything let me know please and Thank you!
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
25 REPLIES 25

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jayco-noslide wrote:
Are you all sure the sticker on the door area is specific for a 5th wheel?

Most of the time the payload on the door jam sticker when placed in the trucks bed (think 5th wheel pin weight) will overload the RGAWR(AKA rear axle). That is some of the weight needs to be carried on the front axle, to be able to handle the payload number.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Are you all sure the sticker on the door area is specific for a 5th wheel?
Jayco-noslide

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:

Actually, the answer's on the driver's door pillar, where the weight placard is, =not= the manual. That placard is specific to =that= unit. Whatever that sticker says, is what's the payload for =that= truck. That's the numbers you need to work from.

Lyle

Yup the payload sticker on the truck, and the shipped weight sticker off the trailer are the only 2 real numbers. Everything else is just best guess.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Jayco-noslide wrote:
I know that tow capacities can be hard to nail down in the owner's manual but that's where your answer lies. Get help from the truck dealer or manufacturer, not an RV business. Off course nailing down the actual total weight you will be towing is crucial. Find a scales or at least estimate the weight of each item; passengers, fluids, food; the whole works. Then, don't tow 100% of the rating. Allow for error; maybe stick to 80%.

Actually, the answer's on the driver's door pillar, where the weight placard is, =not= the manual. That placard is specific to =that= unit. Whatever that sticker says, is what's the payload for =that= truck. That's the numbers you need to work from.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I know that tow capacities can be hard to nail down in the owner's manual but that's where your answer lies. Get help from the truck dealer or manufacturer, not an RV business. Off course nailing down the actual total weight you will be towing is crucial. Find a scales or at least estimate the weight of each item; passengers, fluids, food; the whole works. Then, don't tow 100% of the rating. Allow for error; maybe stick to 80%.
Jayco-noslide

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
Thanks for everyone's input so far. I'll look at 5th wheels 11000-12000LB with a Pin weight of 25% or less. I should be ok then. I'm looking forward to the Tampa show. I've been to a couple big shows up North but never one that advertises having trams to get people around if needed. It must be huge!

I think you're going to want to shoot for a trailer that is more like 9-10k empty with a 12-14k GVWR.

Loaded pin weight is what matters. Virtually any trailer is going to have an empty pin weight below 25%, but that doesn't really matter. What matters is going down the road.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Coach-man wrote:
laknox wrote:
Coach-man wrote:
OK, a 5th wheel is not a โ€œtrailerโ€ and it is not have anything to do with โ€œhow much can my truck towโ€! A couple of years ago, they had a ยฝ ton Toyota towing the space shuttle! A 5th wheel puts approximately 25% of its loaded weight on your rear axel. You understand, it is loaded weight, with water, propane, food, beverages, clothes, even batteries are not included with โ€œpublished dry weight figuresโ€. Also, note that your weight capacity on the trucks door sticker does not take into account gasoline, gear, 5th wheel hitch, and passengers! Subtract weight of passengers, (use 200 pounds each), fuel, weight of hitch from your weight capacity. Then take 25% of the published dry weight of the 5th wheel, and add propane, dual 30 gallon tanks about 120 pounds, clothes food and gear add about 1,500 pounds. Water would be a little tricky, depends on how much you plan to carry, figure 7.5 pounds per gallon, I used to travel with only 10 gallons fill when I got to the site. Also, where the tank is, if behind the rear axel it could subtract weight, in front it would add! Finally, add that all up, and 25% of that total would be in the bed of the truck, how does that add up to the โ€œadjustedโ€ capacity? If that โ€œfitsโ€ you should be ok, front rear axel weights can only be determined using scales, which you should do after everything is set up! Good luck, enjoy your new rig!

Last I knew, a truck's weight placard includs full fuel and a 150lb driver. I know that Jayco's cango placard includes full propane and 1 battery.

Lyle

Lyle, Not sure if they changed that! Always dry weights, for both the truck as well as the trailer! That way everything is equal. What driver weighs 150 lbs? Propane, 20 gallons, 30 gallons? 40 gallons? How many tanks ? One battery, or 2 6 volt golf cart batteries, Trailers do no ship with batteries in them, the dealer installs the batter(s)! Are you a full timer, or just a weekender with a couple of 6 packs and a ham sandwich! Way too many variables! By listing the dry weight, you can easily customize the weight by adding your actual!

I'm talking the placard placed on the truck/FW at the factory, that shows the cargo capacity for that =specific= unit. Industry standard was to show trucks' payload as net of all options plus a 150 lb driver and a full fuel tank. When I was shopping for a new FW several years ago, I looked at any number of Jaycos, and every placard I saw, specifically stated that the net cargo included full propane tanks FOR THAT UNIT and 1 battery (this is a pretty standard # for any "marine" 12v battery, within a few lbs.). It also listed the weight of a full fresh water load, but it was not calc'd into the net CCC. Again, this was specific to THAT unit. You make any changes after the FW's manufactured, then that's on =you= to figure out. I'll look at my KZ next time I'm out and see what it, specifically, says about cargo.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
RobWNY wrote:
laknox wrote:
RobWNY wrote:
Currently I have a Forest River Hemisphere GLX that weighs in the neighborhood of 8500LB dry and about 9500LB loaded. I do not travel with water other than a couple of gallons in the black tank to slosh around. It tows fine and my truck handles it with ease but I'm not very happy with it (poorly and cheaply built). I'm beginning to look at new 5th Wheels but I have no idea what my truck can handle and we all know how a dealer will tell you anything to make a sale. I'm not in a position to change trucks for another three years so I have to stick with the truck I have. I understand that a Dually Diesel is a preferable tow vehicle but not in the cards for me right now. As for the math, everything gets so confusing to me that I need some help. Can someone please give me an idea of the dry weight and max weight of a 5th wheel I should be looking at? Also, what else should I be paying attention to on the sticker of a new 5th wheel? I know I need to look at Pin weight but what else? I'll be adding the same amount of stuff I carry in the rig I have now so please keep that in mind too. We're going to the Tampa RV Supershow on January 16th to browse. Below are the specs of my truck. Thank you for any help you can give me.

From the manual
2017 Ram Crew Cab with 6'6" box. 6.4 Hemi with 3.73 rear end GVWR 10,800 Max Payload 4010LB GCWR 19,900 Max Trailer Weight 12,640

My weight additions
Me 225LB Wife 130LB Spray in Bed Liner 50LB Folding Tonneau Cover 60LB 31 Gallon tank = 186LB when full. B&W Patriot 16K hitch with rails weighs about 175LB total. Then figure I'm going to be adding "Stuff", about 1000LB.

Does that 1,000 lbs of "stuff" go in the truck or in the trailer or split between? Seems a lot to carry in the truck alone...

Lyle

The 1000LB of stuff is mostly in the trailer. Maybe 100LB extra pounds in the truck so 900LB in the trailer

OK, so the FW will carry the majority of that weight, so figure 350 lbs of the 1,000 lbs (100 lbs + 250 lbs {25% pin}) that might go on the truck. I agree that a 12k max GVW rig would really be all you'd want to look for. Not knowing how you camp, or how frequently, I'd look at something like the KZ Durango 1500 (if used) or Durango Half-Ton. The current Half-Ton line has one model at 11,750 GVW and another at 11,995 GVW. 2 are 9k GVW and the other 4 in the line are 10.5k GVW. My '17 1500 model is one of the 10.5k GVW rigs and my '02 Duramax 2500HD handles it just fine.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Coach-man wrote:
OK, a 5th wheel is not a โ€œtrailerโ€ and it is not have anything to do with โ€œhow much can my truck towโ€! A couple of years ago, they had a ยฝ ton Toyota towing the space shuttle! A 5th wheel puts approximately 25% of its loaded weight on your rear axel. You understand, it is loaded weight, with water, propane, food, beverages, clothes, even batteries are not included with โ€œpublished dry weight figuresโ€. Also, note that your weight capacity on the trucks door sticker does not take into account gasoline, gear, 5th wheel hitch, and passengers! Subtract weight of passengers, (use 200 pounds each), fuel, weight of hitch from your weight capacity. Then take 25% of the published dry weight of the 5th wheel, and add propane, dual 30 gallon tanks about 120 pounds, clothes food and gear add about 1,500 pounds. Water would be a little tricky, depends on how much you plan to carry, figure 7.5 pounds per gallon, I used to travel with only 10 gallons fill when I got to the site. Also, where the tank is, if behind the rear axel it could subtract weight, in front it would add! Finally, add that all up, and 25% of that total would be in the bed of the truck, how does that add up to the โ€œadjustedโ€ capacity? If that โ€œfitsโ€ you should be ok, front rear axel weights can only be determined using scales, which you should do after everything is set up! Good luck, enjoy your new rig!

Last I knew, a truck's weight placard includs full fuel and a 150lb driver. I know that Jayco's cango placard includes full propane and 1 battery.

Lyle

Lyle, Not sure if they changed that! Always dry weights, for both the truck as well as the trailer! That way everything is equal. What driver weighs 150 lbs? Propane, 20 gallons, 30 gallons? 40 gallons? How many tanks ? One battery, or 2 6 volt golf cart batteries, Trailers do no ship with batteries in them, the dealer installs the batter(s)! Are you a full timer, or just a weekender with a couple of 6 packs and a ham sandwich! Way too many variables! By listing the dry weight, you can easily customize the weight by adding your actual!

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
zcookiemonstar wrote:
Wow you made the biggest weight mistake ever. You publicly listed your wife's weight!

LOL You should hear what she says about me!

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
RobWNY wrote:

From the manual

My weight additions

Does that 1,000 lbs of "stuff" go in the truck or in the trailer or split between? Seems a lot to carry in the truck alone...

Lyle

The 1000LB of stuff is mostly in the trailer. Maybe 100LB extra pounds in the truck so 900LB in the trailer

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
Wow you made the biggest weight mistake ever. You publicly listed your wife's weight!

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Coach-man wrote:

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
RobWNY wrote:

From the manual

My weight additions

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A