Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: It could have went bad!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> It could have went bad!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
SAR Tracker

Central Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a wheel bearing self-destruct on the trailer. AAA to the rescue, flatbed'ed (is that a word?) 85 miles to home for free.

Another time had everything loaded in the truck (quads, gas, gear, etc...) happened to look in the wheel well, and one of the bolts holding the rear leaf spring was backed out almost all the way. No idea where the nut went!

Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 09:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have forgotten to install the sway control bar. and when I got home found it laying on the trailer tongue. Didn't bother the way it pulled, but could have fallen off, and hurt someone

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 11:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SAR Tracker, you reminded me of another incident.....

Coming home from a fishing trip out of Falkland BC, heading down a long hill towards the highway to Kamloops, towing a 25 foot TT, did a usual mirror check....

Gee, the TT looks off kilter. Can't put my finger on it, something's not right. Why can I see more of the trailer on one side than the other? And it's not parallel to my truck... Look again, again, back and forth in the mirrors and yup, something is wrong.

I pulled over into a roadside pullout i just happened to be close to and got out for a look. Back and forth, side to side, I see nothing wrong. Hitch is good, tires ok, hmmmmm.

Got back in, hit the highway again and same thing. Something is not right at all. My trailer is towing crooked. It's dog-tracking real bad.

Pulled over again, same thing, I see nothing wrong. Check check check everything. Nothing out of the ordinary. One side to the other, looking back and forth at the wheels.

And then I noticed, one pair of tires are nearly touching, the other has about 5 inches between them. Strange.....

Climbed under for a peek and one spring is right out of the shackle and just floating! Egads! [emoticon] The nut and bolt were gone! The whole axel walked forward until the tires nearly touched! No wonder it was dog-tracking so bad!

Again, a truck full of tools and hardware to the rescue. Found a bolt, nut, a little undersize, and some washers. Had a miserable time trying to get the axel back and the spring in the shackle, but got it done and back on the road again so I could tow it in to get a proper bolt.

Another close call that could have been disastrous!

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

1997 Triple E Topaz 27' Bunkhouse TT

I do
Precision Guesswork
based on
Vague Assumptions
&
Unreliable Data of Dubious Accuracy
provided by persons of
Questionable Intellectual Capacity

Now, What would you like done?

southernsky

Ponchatoula La.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/20 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about close calls with wildlife? Traveling out west coming around a curve in a mountian road. See a big tan thing in the road, too close to hit brakes. Thinking it was a elk but wait, not an Elk, a huge boulder in the road. Just enough room to go between it and guardrail by inches. Traveling in Wind River area, Pronghorn decided to shoot across the road, missed by inches. Don't know who had bigger eyes, wife or pronghorn. Driving through northern Arkansas, telling wife that there were elk in the area. She said yeah right while munching on her sandwich. You guessed it....elk crossed right in front of us. Thought she was gonna choke to death on that sandwich. Just a few of our close encounters. Think I might invest in a big bumper with grill guard.

2019 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW Crew Cab 6.7 H.O. CTD 4X4
2016 Grand Design Solitude 369RL 5th Airborne

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Once we had trailer brake shoe retainers let go, allowing the shoes to wad up inside the drum and causing clouds of smoke to billow from the wheel. Pulled the drum, removed the shoes, continued on our way.

Another time I was carrying a 250 lb dirt bike on a bumper rack attached to the rear of the TT. It was all good when the fresh water tank was full, but on the way home lack of tongue weight set up a sway event that nearly put me in the median. I found a place to fill the water tank and change my underwear, and made it home. Never used the bumper rack again.

Last year we were barely a mile from the driveway--first intersection, in fact--when the brake pedal goes to the floor. Went home, replaced the rusted out brake line, and was back on the road in a couple of hours.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've lost count. Entered an exit ramp and saw the towed car in my left outside mirror. That's not right I thought. One side of the tow bar had disconnected allowing the car to run right up behind the MH. Bent the tow bar. Officer helped disconnect and wife followed in car the rest of the way home. New $900 tow bar with some insurance help. I'll never know how or why the safety pin was not in the tow bar connection. Was it my error, vandalism at a stop or did it break. Obviously could have been worse.

Jayco-noslide

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/20 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not an RV and not my error. I was working at one of the larger trucking companies in the Carlisle Pa area. Breaking down a set of doubles that came into the yard I noticed a problem. The pin of the second trailer was not in the fifth-wheel like it was supposed to be. It was sitting in an indentation in the top of the plate. The unit came from Dayton Ohio to Carlisle like that.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bought an Andersen 5th hitch a few years back. Hitched up for a trip and took off down the interstate. Got to our camp spot, backed in and when I went to pull the release cable it was already released. I drove 70 miles down the interstate at 65+ mph without the Andersen coupler secured to the ball. It was mostly flat except for a few bouncy overpass bridges.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When newbie I didn't know that stopping an RV is tougher than getting it to go fast. Didn't end up hitting/hurting anybody but did have to change my underwear.

Kevin

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I scene a deer, almost hit it. That could have went, or gone, bad.

* This post was edited 01/09/20 10:58am by 2oldman *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> It could have went bad!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.