Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: It could have went bad!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> It could have went bad!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Cocky_Camper

Rock Hill, SC

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

*Knock on Wood*, I think the worst thing that I done was left the awning rod in the strap. It flopped in the wind and along the side of the motorhome for about 50 miles before I noticed it! Luckily it didn't come off in traffic, which could have ended bad.

My uncle was removing his load levelers, and had a piece of steel pipe that he unlatched them with. His phone rang and he went to answer it, after he remove the load level pin, The bar came flying down and gashed the front of his pants and and leg open. He just knew that it cut his "man goods" in two. He went inside and his wife checked, and the bar barely scraped his thigh. That could have ended real bad!

2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

rollexx

Vancouver, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/20 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were about 5 miles from our destination when the TPMS alarm sounded. Rapid pressure lose. Right rear tire flat. No big deal, had room to pull over to put on spare.
Pulled tire off and noticed a deep groove around the rear sidewall of tire. It’s then I discovered the problem. The shackles holding the rear axle leaf springs to the center equalizer had broken. The tire had been rubbing up against the shock absorber bracket.
Since we were so close I put the spare on and we limped the final few miles. It was then I discovered that the shackles on the other side was broken also. So basically the only thing holding the rear axle on was the two rear leaf spring bolts. Can’t say how long it had been this way. Shudder to think what could have happened.

Lightning55

Pleasanton, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm almost too embarrassed to share this. My FW was brand new and I was in the storage yard trying to back into a narrow space and had the FW in a tight angle to the truck. I apparently had my brake cable hooked up with not enough slack for the tight turn and it unplugged from the trailer. The rig came to an abrupt stop. I quickly jumped out of the truck to see what happened and saw the cable was disconnected. I climbed into the bed and plugged it back in. What I didn't realize was that I didn't put the truck in park when I jumped out - it was still in gear! Next thing I know is the rig is driving itself across the lot with me in the bed. I about broke my neck jumping out the bed and scrambled to the open door to slam on the brakes before it hit a building. OMG was I lucky! I could have hurt myself or got tangled up under the rear wheels of the truck when I flopped out of the bed to the ground. I beat myself up pretty good for being so careless and stupid. The RV god was watching out for me that day. Looking back I should have just unplugged the brake cable and it would have stopped the rig but I was panicked at the time and didn't think of it.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago, When I had my first Travel Trailer it had a single axle. The door was toward the front. I unhooked it at the campground walked inside and toward the back. When I did the jack on the front of the trailer came off of the ground and the trailer started to roll down the hill toward the lake !!! I ran toward the door on the front of the trailer and the jack came back down digging into the dirt.

After I got it reset on the camping spot I drove to town and bought some wheel chocks.

It's funny now but, at the time it was scary and embarrassing.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> It could have went bad!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.