Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: It could have went bad!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> It could have went bad!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
cougar28

Lowell,AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What's the single worst thing that you did or didn't do that could have really went bad but didn't?
Couple years ago first trip of the year. One of those spur of the moment trip-got in a hurry because getting off work late. Get home the DW already loaded most of the stuff. I jumped on the tractor and use the bucket to load and install the 5th wheel hitch. Get that done hook the rv up -do a walk around all is good and hit the road to the camp ground.
Get there all is good for the weekend- pack up head home. Get home park the rv in the carport-unhook and notice on a little table I have there my 4 hitch bed rail pins! Yep pull the rv 40 mile round trip with the hitch not pined to the bed rails.

2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

Lwiddis

Kern County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/20 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Which one of the ten or so should I pick?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/20 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

several years ago we were on a narrow 2-lane country road (no shoulders) in alabama. we were rounding a right-hand curve at approx 15-20 mph. at the apex of the curve we see that the right half of our lane is not there. no typical pothole. no pavement. period. approx 3’ wide, 20’ long and 6-8” deep. i slammed on the brakes but no way was i gonna stop in time. we rocked..twice. right front wheel went down and then back up before the right rear wheels went down. all i could holler to my wife was “hold on!” i won’t go into all the damage this caused but the pucker factor was significant.

flash forward about a year. i had the damage to the slides, fridge mount, etc. repaired but not for a moment did i consider the tire alignment. the parking asst at our winter quarters was guiding us into our spot in Mesa, AZ when he suggested i take a look at my front tires. each had severe rubbing and tread loss and the steel belts were starting to protrude. shocked is an overused word but i was shocked. we put a lot of mileage on those tires since the encounter...central alabama to home (Chicago burbs), a trip from home to Dayton and back and then home to Mesa. lots of miles at interstate speeds. neither of my service shops alerted me and my pre-departure check of tires was cursory at best. i’ve decided to believe that most of the damage was done on that trip from home to Mesa but i have no one to blame but me and my stupidity. i had the front tires replaced (rears were ok) and a whole body alignment done. each side was approx 3/4 inch out of alignment. and i call myself a pilot. my pre-flights ARE thorough but after 34-seasons in the MH i became complacent. that will kill you.

we were lucky. i shudder to think what could’ve happened...what i got away with...on the drive from Chicago to Mesa. my pre-departure tire inspections are a lot more thorough now.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/20 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've only been RVing for about 4 years. Fortunately, I have not yet had one of those moments. I'll have to bookmark this thread just to remind me once in a while to take my time and double check everything.

Coming home and finding the pins sitting on the table would freak me out.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Lwiddis

Kern County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/20 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“I've only been RVing for about 4 years. Fortunately, I have not yet had one of those moments.”

IMO yes you have. That’s what is scary...you don’t always know how close you came to....

romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back in my youth we were stock car racing on a budget. We towed the car on a heavy trailer designed for farm equipent behind a Chevelle, the trailer brakes if it had any weren't hooked up (no controller in car) and no safety chains. We figured if the trailer left we weren't going with it.
One night we returned from a track 75 miles away at around 80 mph. The next morning looking at the car I noticed a weld broken on the hitch, The end of the ball stud and a portion of the nut were ground off from hitting the pavement, we could only imagine the light show that caused.I am amazed we didn't kill ourselves that summer.

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago, coming home to Surrey BC from Grande Prairie Alberta, towing a small old Estavilla TT.

I got within about 200 miles of home, and did a usual mirror check. Hmmmmm..... something looks off kilter... Checked the rearview mirror, TT appears to be sitting on a weird angle. What the heck??

Checked the tires, nope, no flats. What the???? I was cruising along about 65-70 MPH, slowed it down a lot, checking the mirrors more as I did. Better pull over. No pullout available, only guardrail both sides. Drove about 40 for the next few miles until I saw a rest area. Pulled in, got it safely stopped.

I got out of my truck, did a scan of things, tires ok, but why is the nose nearly dragging on the ground?

And then I saw it! One side of the A frame front hitch on the TT was broken nearly right through just under the front of the trailer! Metal completely fractured, hanging on by a prayer and a song! [emoticon][emoticon] Other side was bent under the stress too. The whole front of the TT was nose down, nearly on the pavement.

Holy friggin doodle! I literally broke out into a cold sweat from the knowledge of how this could have ended!

Fortunately for me, I was towing with my work truck full of cordless tools. I got out my recip, drills, bolts and some pieces of aluminum extrusions in the back of the truck, and a nearby angle steel sign post that somehow... well, sort of mysteriously... you know, just came out of the ground and fell over right by my truck.... Not sure how that happened! [emoticon][emoticon][emoticon][emoticon]

Several hours later, got it all jacked up and fish plated together as a temporary fix to get it home. Made it back home, keeping under 50 and my eyes constantly in the mirrors. Took it to a professional steel fab shop and had it properly repaired.

Whew! That was scary!

Edit fix typos...

* This post was edited 01/08/20 10:45pm by BobsYourUncle *

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

1997 Triple E Topaz 27' Bunkhouse TT

I do
Precision Guesswork
based on
Vague Assumptions
&
Unreliable Data of Dubious Accuracy
provided by persons of
Questionable Intellectual Capacity

Now, What would you like done?

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

after reading the above posts I see I've lived a sheltered life

cougar28

Lowell,AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walaby wrote:

I've only been RVing for about 4 years. Fortunately, I have not yet had one of those moments. I'll have to bookmark this thread just to remind me once in a while to take my time and double check everything.

Coming home and finding the pins sitting on the table would freak me out.

Mike

When I seen those all I could think about was what if that had came loose and hurt or killed someone! The rv one thing but someones life!

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/20 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old Guy! Hilarious! We've had numerous mishaps, Always with a prayer, and a dutiful and deserved kick from DW. Forgotten hitch pin, compartment left open, door latched open, drain not closed- no matter how you check it, you usually check it without fully paying attention.

Da Moose:2001 31' E450. 30k in 3yrs.
PartyOf5: Driver's DW & 3 pre-teens -trying to connect, learn, appreciate creation & the Creator
May you find Peace in all that you endeavor

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> It could have went bad!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.