cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Front suspention

myface
Explorer
Explorer
+Hi all.New guy here. I purchase 2001 Winnebago Brave SE 29A. Runs good, but my front of vehicle is low. It have workhorse chassis. There are no airbags in front. Could it be my shock?.
20 REPLIES 20

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I would definately get the front weighed, as said above you want to get the correct springs for your weight or you are just shooting in the dark! I can't remember which springs I put in my Brave and I am not where I can check. I think it was 5 or 6 thousand. but it doesn't matter because I am longer and a different model than you have.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

myface
Explorer
Explorer
Visually is low and then when I hit a bump or dip in a road it rub my front tire. Going across a bridge is nightmare - bunch of bumps. After I put a bags in springs, I will take it to a scale. Right now is not good to drive.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
myface wrote:
1.25 and 58.000. I saw a springs for $360 pair with 6000lbs.
Your MH is short probably lighter than many of us that installed the HD Henderson springs.You already ordered the air bags, they will increase your ride height. I would try them first seeing you already paid for them. You really need to know what your front axle weighs, a spring that is too stiff will put a lot more pressure on that upper A arm than it was designed to take, which is only stamped steel and over time can cause fatigue cracks in that arm. Also how are you checking how level your MH sits ?

myface
Explorer
Explorer
That what I am planing to get

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.hendersonslineup.com/supersteer-products
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

myface
Explorer
Explorer
1.25 and 58.000. I saw a springs for $360 pair with 6000lbs.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
How much less than 1.5 ins are they? 1.25 in or.5 in? How many miles on the MH? I would either use the HD springs or the bags not both.

myface
Explorer
Explorer
I do not want to drive 25mil to near scale. Can I just buy the 6.000lbs springs?. That what my sticker said or should I buy 3.000?.

myface
Explorer
Explorer
I got "brave" and crawl under front to measure the distance from A to bumper. It is less that 1.5. I guess that my coils are weak. No I got another challenge - find repair shop that will not charge me arms and legs. I did order the air bags too. That guy from that shop never called me back -good.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
myface wrote:
I told the guy about the springs and he said that shocks will raise the front.
Find a different "guy" to give your money to. Anyone who says that shocks will raise your vehicle is lying or stupid. Your shocks may also be shot, but they will have no effect on ride height, only damping.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check your ride height first before changing anything. Just measure the gap between the upper A arm and the stop right below it you should have about 1.5 ins or more. If the A Arm is resting on the bumper stop with no space in between I would replace them with new HD springs. If you have some space you may get away with just adding new air bags. How many miles are on the MH? The bags will only add another 500 Lbs capacity when fully inflated. As others have said new shocks won't increase the ride height.

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Hello and welcome.
Shocks do nothing for ride height. That's in he springs. If it is sitting low, the springs are probably worn out. You will need to find the ride height specs and measure from the frame to the ground.

No shocks will not but being a 2001 the springs maybe be weak may need to be changed if shocks came with coach need to be changed with them.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

myface
Explorer
Explorer
years back ( around 20) I was mechanic and work with suspensions. I did have to (on occasion) change the springs and was not a pleasant job. I told the guy about the springs and he said that shocks will raise the front. Right now, when I go too fast (5mph) into a dip in road, my tire will rub on body. For last 15 years, I was OTR truck driver and do not mind to go to a cat scale, but driving with the nose down is difficult. I will let them change the shocks and bags. See if this will raise my front a bit.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
"The springs are fine but we'll put air bags in"?
That right there is a warning sign.
BTW, after you get the ride height corrected, you'll want to get it alligned.