cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Issue with phone

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
I have an aftermarket Nav/phone unit in my truck (2012 Sierra).

Everything has worked correctly in the Nav as well as the phone (through my cell phone) until a couple months or so ago.

I started to notice that, when I visited, to pick up my son, I would call him from the truck to his cell phone to let him know I had arrived. As mentioned, up until recently, no issues.

And then, a call to him would go through and I could clearly hear him, but he could not hear me. Initially, I thought it had something to do with his location (second floor of a cement apt building).

In trying to sort this out, I ensured he could be called by others, including my cell through the wife's vehicle phone system (not same system as mine, though) and that I could call/receive calls from everyone else, through my phone/truck system, without issue. I am able to make successful calls to/from him using only the two cell phones.

I even took him to a few different locations and tried calls from truck to his phone, without success.

Regardless of location, my son's phone cannot hear my calls through the truck, I can hear him and others, talk to others through my truck and he can call/receive and hear/speak with others.

Texting works fine.

I have contacted the manufacturer of the unit (now out of production, but not due to the noted issue), with no luck in solving the issue so far.

Any ideas as to why this happens and whether there is a setting in either cell phone that could cause this? Seems weird that it only occurs under the noted circumstance.

Marv
10 REPLIES 10

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
My iPhone sometimes acts up after I've had the ear buds plugged in. when I call someone they cannot hear me. But if I put it on speaker they do. the fix is to either plug the earbuds in and remove them again, or reboot.

As an aside, rebooting your iPhone is easy.

Just press and hold the power button on the right side about 5 seconds until it gives you an option to power it off.

Power it off, and wait about 30 seconds and push the power button to turn it back on.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

billyboy
Explorer
Explorer
Not the same kind of thing but, our new phone works good, but we could not hear the ringing of the person we are calling in our ear piece. Finally grandson tried turning the Bluetooth off and we started to hear the other phones ringing. He said it was interacting with the Bluetooth in the car outside, even though the car is not on. I don't understand how that can happen.
09 winny adventurer 32h 33 ft towing 015 focus

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had the same thing happen to my wife and I back in the days of flip phones. Only calls between her and I when she used Bluetooth and we were also NOT on the same cell tower would it fail. One of us couldnโ€™t hear the other. The Verizon store even swapped my phone for a new one with the same result. They first tried the new phone with a different phone number and it worked but when they put my number on it, no go.

What finally fixed it was my wife deleted my number from her contacts and suddenly it was fine. Something must have gotten saved under the hood that messed things up. After it worked, she created a new contact and all was well.

I know this was on much older phones but your issue sounds just like ours.

After reading opnspaces suggestion, heโ€™s recommended exactly what happened to work for us.

MrWizard
I think
It's on your end, the audio from your call is silent
Call him turn the phone Microphone On , the Mic is in Mute mode
Like you might do, when you want to converse with somebody in the truck , without the person on the call hearing your discussion
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the replies. To answer a few:

Both phones are iPhones. To my knowledge, neither has been rebooted.

The issue only occurs when I call through the hands-free Nav to my son's phone - he can't hear me but I can hear him. All other calls to/from either of our phones (Nav or not) to anyone else works as expected.

We will try to work through the suggestions and see what happens.

Thanks again,

Marv

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Just to clarify. If you pick up your phone and call your son he can hear you just fine. If you are in the truck and use the hands free Nav system which is linked to your phone you son cannot hear your? This problem only occurs when calling your son through the Nav system and everybody else can hear you just fine calling through the Nav system?

Here's what I would try if it was my system.

• Write down all your sons contact information on your phone.
  • Delete your sons contact out of the phone.
  • Reboot your phone.
  • Sync your phone to your truck and access the phone book.
  • Call someone from your nav system.
  • Reboot the phone again.
  • Add your son back into your contacts.
  • Call your son
  • Sync your phone with your Nav system.
  • Call your son from the truck to test.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
AND turn OFF the Bluetooth on your phone and then turn it back ON and re-connect it to the radio (pair).
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
What kind of phone? When was the last time you rebooted the phone? Even the best phones need to be rebooted from time to time just like PCโ€™s and IPads... Have son reboot his phone also.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
One inconvenient thing to try. Disconnect the battery in your truck and leave it that way overnight. When you hook it back up you will have to reset everything. You may even have to repair to your aftermarket Nav/phone unit. That may get you back to the original condition of working.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

MrWizard
Have him check his phone
Have him check for blocked numbers in his contacts or phone settings
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s