Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: BMW vs KTM vs Triumph vs Honda Adventure motorcycle
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> BMW vs KTM vs Triumph vs Honda Adventure motorcycle

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 09:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out the KTM 790

BMW 1200 GS / Adventure is a HUGE bike. Adventure is gigantic.
A long time riding buddy has the Adventure model and he calls it the DEATH STAR. He's thinking of selling it get move to something small / lighter.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2015 Nash 17k (bought pre-owned 5/23/18)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KTM's are great bikes, but high maintenance and very high parts costs. Personally unless I was racing I'd stick with the Japanese bikes just for ease of maintenance and parts.

My grandson had a KTM and the motor held 1.2 quarts of oil, two oil filters, two oil screens, and required oil/filter changes at 6 hour intervals.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/20 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, if I do use it to commute, it's a 70 mile round trip and last night it was 70-80 MPH.

The KTM 790 looks interesting, but it's so new that there are few on CycleTrader nationwide and the price isn't too far off MSRP on a new one

On the KTM website, some of the bikes say they have a 10K KM service interval. Does that mean a service that needs to go to the dealership to get a major service done?

Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It could be, but you'd really need to talk to the dealer to find out for sure. Be advised they are very tall bikes, not really made for slower trail riding.

Since you haven't ridden for a few years, I'd have two bikes: street and trail. You can do that easily for the price of one popular "adventure" bike.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/20 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just as an example, my riding buddy bought a new KTM 690. He is a big strong guy, many years riding/racing. He works as an exec in the motor sport industry, knows many dealers, to help with service, parts discounts, and latest info. Here is a pic of him, with his new bike, happily giving it a hug. Too big/tall, even him being 6'1"s tall. It would cruise on the freeway at speed, but not smoothly. After one year, it was gone. He has 3 other bikes in his arsenal much more suitable for their purpose.

Jerry

[image]

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I worked on my grandson's KTM which he bought after it had been converted to a "supermoto" type. It was quick, but very tall and pretty darned fragile, and would put your hands to sleep within a couple miles. After he blew it up twice he got rid of it. Parts prices were outrageous, if you could find a dealer that had them in stock. Most had to be ordered.

As you can tell, I'm not a fan of KTM. [emoticon]

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/20 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just an example of a sweet off road model, here is a pic of the same buddies recent purchase. It is super lightweight, easy to handle, gobs of endless power.

Jerry

[image]

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/20 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having access to a good dealer/good part supply, is the reason I am not a fan of any of these, exotic models. I have a Honda CRF 230, for my off road, lots of single track, and creek crossings, steep climbs. It's pretty weak, as delivered, but with added Honda factory power up kit, a whole different story. I am only 5'10"s so seat height works great. I did need to add bar riser, especially for standing. The suspension is not race ready, but neither am I anymore. Here is a pic of me taking a break, dang camera cut me off. [emoticon]

Jerry

[image]

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I enjoy my cruiser and carry it on the back of my fiver. It works for the little bit of gravel that I ride on. For my next bike I wrestle with whether to go full touring such as a Goldwing or something like the BMW R1200GS. I think if off road was a significant part of my riding I'd go with the Africa Twin.
[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/20 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A full dress touring bike is pretty job specific. I put 35K on a full dressed wing used only for it's intended use. At the same time, I had a CBR600 canyon dancer, and a KDX200 for off road fun. I think the cruiser is a better choice, for you 4x4ord, if you intend to haul it, ride it short to medium distance.

A cruiser would be my suggestion for the OP, just getting back into the sport, and like I and Howard suggested, get a second bike for the trails.

Jerry

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> BMW vs KTM vs Triumph vs Honda Adventure motorcycle
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.