Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: BMW vs KTM vs Triumph vs Honda Adventure motorcycle
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> BMW vs KTM vs Triumph vs Honda Adventure motorcycle

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/20 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Triumph Tiger

KTM Super Adventure

Suzuki V-Strom

Africa Twin

Triumph Tiger

BMW

Indian

The last one caught my eye when I was in the dealership looking. It is beautiful.

These are some of the ones that I've been looking at. A few I've actually touched, some just bookmarked. Appreciate comments

I haven't started looking strictly at dirt bikes yet.

Thanks

Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/20 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO, having purchased owned 33-34 new motorcycles, having a good dealer nearby, for whatever bike you choose, is very important. For commuting at speed in traffic, a fast handling powerful bike adds some safety. While the return of the Indian scratched a lot of itches, not IMO, what you're looking for. The BMW, Honda, or Suzuki may serve your purpose.

Jerry

* This post was edited 01/15/20 04:07pm by an administrator/moderator *

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/20 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just another thought on a reasonably priced option for the street/commute, are the MT models from Yamaha. A MT7 9 10, all light weight, quick handling, and powerful. This is same as former model called 09.

Getting back into it, should get you looking at proper riding gear also, for your own saftey, or for son. There is so much available, some even at reasonable prices.

Jerry

caver

Missouri, The Cave State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/20 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you haven't already poke around on Advrider in the forums. My first dual sport (seems like they called them enduros back then) was bought in the late 70's. After my Navy days I started traveling for a couple weeks on vacation and a few year later found camping to be the option. I was doing an overnight at Guadalupe Mountains CG maybe late 90's and the guy next to me had a dual sport. The light went off in my head rather than taking an expensive 4x4 up these mountain roads how about a bike? First was a lightly used Yamaha XT350 which was loads of fun but lacking in aftermarket parts. I then bought a Suzuki DR650. I liked the low end grunt that thing had but the quality of gas was getting worse and if it sat for a few weeks the carb had to be taken apart. In 2008 I bought the small Yamaha WR250 which everyone was raving about. A very nimble off road bike and much easier to pick up when it gets dropped. I was really sold on the fuel injection. I still have that bike. I looked into a V-strom (poor man's BMW) for more of a street bike but really decided I didn't need two bikes.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patperry2766 wrote:

Going thru mid-life crisis and thinking about getting a motorcycle. Rode years back but have had a itch for a while and it's becoming inflamed and red and REALLY itchy.

Too old for a crotch rocket, not interested in a cruiser style bike.

Seems that the adventure bike style seems to suit my fancy because we camp a lot in the mountains so I could do some trail riding/exploring. The remaining time would be driven around town.

The BMW R1200GS seems to be the standard in which everyone compares to. The Triumph Tiger appears to be real similar in style, where as the KTM 1290 and the Honda Afrika Twin seem to be more of a dirt bike style DNA that has been modified/equipped to be more of an adventure bike that can handle the road miles better than just a dual-sport bike.

Looking to get used cause don't want to end up with a 20K toy in the garage cause I don't get the time to ride. Have seen several BMW on the used market and a few of the others.

Just wanted to see if any RV'ers also ride similar bikes and might be willing to chime in their thoughts/opinions.

Thanks
Unless you plan on sticking to mountain roads or fire trails a large heavy bike is not pleasant to ride on tight trails. I have rode trails in Colorado for years on a variety of bikes. Nimble and light are your friend.

I would concentrate on what type of riding I planned on doing before bike selection.

I have two BWW F-650 adventure bikes and a Kawasaki 650 Versys. I would not want to take those bikes on tight trails because of the weight. Sold my kawasaki KLR and Honda XR's because of a change in riding.

gtnsmlr

Camarillo, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Riding on the road you wish you had a big cc bike, riding on fire roads you wish you had a 600-800 cc bike, for doing it all I like my 500EXC...250 lb race bike with a plate.

The older we get, the faster we go

Bipeflier

Centralia, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/20 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had BMW, KLR 650 and now on a Yamaha WR250R. For the type of "trail riding" I like the larger bikes are just too heavy. Fell in mud a few years ago on the KLR, leg under the bike, @ 8000 feet ASL it took 15 min. to extricate myself. No thank you.

The 250 will still do 70 MPH (for a while) but I don't get on hard surface roads unless it is absolutely necessary.

2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

gtnsmlr

Camarillo, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/20 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a friend that I’ve rode with for going on 40 years, he’s been riding a Honda XR650 since they first came out . Road or trail, he’s hard to keep up with and....reliable as it gets. If I was doing a long duel sport ride,I’d get the XR with a custom Russell Mayer seat and have at it...

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/20 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gtnsmlr wrote:

I have a friend that I’ve rode with for going on 40 years, he’s been riding a Honda XR650 since they first came out . Road or trail, he’s hard to keep up with and....reliable as it gets. If I was doing a long duel sport ride,I’d get the XR with a custom Russell Mayer seat and have at it...

Funny you mention your friend being hard to keep up with, on trails. I watched a friend riding a XR650R, running in the Enduro class, on a MX track. I could not believe he stayed in the middle of the pack, doing double/triple jumps, racing against new KDX200 liquid 2-strokes, and required for Enduro class...5 yo or more KXs, CRs, and YZs.

I'd have been laying face down in the mud, on that sow, that was never MX intended.

Jerry

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> BMW vs KTM vs Triumph vs Honda Adventure motorcycle
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.