cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air brakes on Towed

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Since 2006we have used the Roadmaster air brake system, with the cylinder that has to be installed an uninstalled every time you hook up or unhook.
Airraid I believe is one brand,and Air Force One is another brand of under hood air braking system, that you don't have to disconnect or reconnect anything.
Anyone comment on which one you use and of course prices?
24 REPLIES 24

TS21sso
Explorer
Explorer
H & E wrote:
M&G in my opinion is the way to go. As said, one air line and thatโ€™s it for brake hookup.
Also if you can take it to Athens, TX, They are 1st class all the way. We are from N. TX, drove down day before, stayed at State Park a few miles away.

Very glad to hear that. I am having their system installed at the factory tomorrow. They will also set up the lights and charging line for the battery.

Yes, we too had them do the complete set up,
Hopefully you have come away with the same positive opinion of M&G factory that we came away with.

H___E
Explorer
Explorer
M&G in my opinion is the way to go. As said, one air line and thatโ€™s it for brake hookup.
Also if you can take it to Athens, TX, They are 1st class all the way. We are from N. TX, drove down day before, stayed at State Park a few miles away.

Very glad to hear that. I am having their system installed at the factory tomorrow. They will also set up the lights and charging line for the battery.

TS21sso
Explorer
Explorer
Also if you can take it to Athens, TX, They are 1st class all the way. We are from N. TX, drove down day before, stayed at State Park a few miles away. Following morning drove to M&G, pulled MH in one bay, towed in another. While we stayed in MH
We could watch installation as they installed Blue Ox base plate on 2017 Terrain, M&G brake system and air line on MH. In and out in about 2-21/2 hours.

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used M & G on three different cars in the past 17 years without incident. Each one has been fitted with break away system for safety. Easy to hook up and unhook. One air cord from toad to Motorhome. I have never used any other kind. They are right here where I live so are very convenient. Hope this helps. Happy travels..
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

keefr
Explorer
Explorer
Another option is RViBrake. It operates similarly to Brake Buddy but is more compact, it is quick-acting and adjustable for both sensitivity and toad weight. I've been very happy with mine.
Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. - George Carlin

gfs1943
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
hypoxia wrote:
Executive wrote:
Why not simply get the ReadyBrake/ReadyBrute?? Nothing to add, nothing to subtract. Just hook it and go. Easiest system there is and nothing hooked to the toad..I've had mine for 10 years.....Dennis

Ready/Brute

I am not a fan of surge brakes with an engine brake. Going down a hill the Ready Brake will be applying toad brakes constantly. They will be warm/hot on a long descent when I have not touched the service brakes.

That's not really true, We have the ready brute elite and I've wondered on long descents if the toad brakes heat up with the engine brake on, so I stopped once after a downhill and checked, they were warm but not overly hot. The force required to active the brakes completely comes from stopping the MH, or quickly changing the speed of the MH relative to the car. Down a hill with the engine brake on isn't enough of a difference in speed to push the surge all the way, until you brake. Which is the way it's supposed to work. The car brakes when you brake otherwise the speed is relative to yours. In the 6 years we've been towing our CRV with the ready brute system we have not had to change pads any more frequently than not towing.

This is the correct info. The ReadyBrake does not cause my tires or brakes to get hot. I've been using this system for almost seven years, and have ZERO problems with it.
I've never had another braking system for the toad, so I can't say what's good and what's a lot of trouble. I just know that the ReadyBrute/ReadyBrake system is great.
gfs1943
USAF, Retired (1962 - 1983)
2006 Monaco Diplomat 40PRQ
2006 Honda CR-V

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
I too have used the ready brake system for 10 years and have descended alot of long hills with my exhaust brake on and never have had hot brakes on the toad. Warm yes but not hot. It does what it is supposed to do.
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
hypoxia wrote:
way2roll wrote:
hypoxia wrote:
Executive wrote:
Why not simply get the ReadyBrake/ReadyBrute?? Nothing to add, nothing to subtract. Just hook it and go. Easiest system there is and nothing hooked to the toad..I've had mine for 10 years.....Dennis

Ready/Brute

I am not a fan of surge brakes with an engine brake. Going down a hill the Ready Brake will be applying toad brakes constantly. They will be warm/hot on a long descent when I have not touched the service brakes.

I stopped once after a downhill and checked, they were warm but not overly hot.

I'm pretty sure you just agreed with me....:C

Pretty sure I didn't. Don't cut snippets of a post that you think offers some evidence to your incorrect assumptions, read the whole post. Any brakes or wheels would be warm to the touch under most any conditions. If they were overheating you wouldn't be able to touch them at all. Don't make posts where you don't know what you are talking about and then troll the person correcting you who has real world experience. You can try and pose like you know what you are talking about but myself and thousands of others who have this system know differently. If you want to discuss the matter further, PM me. Happy to give you my number to discuss it.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
hypoxia wrote:
Executive wrote:

Ready/Brute

I stopped once after a downhill and checked, they were warm but not overly hot.

I'm pretty sure you just agreed with me....:C
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
bjbear wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
My buddy has the Brake Buddy. Install is easy, just plug it into the power outlet, hookup and he monitor/control box in the MH, watch that it connects and your all done. It's a simple system and you can easily move it between vehicles, unlike you system that is only for the 1 car. I'm planning on getting a newer vehicle and will then have 2 available toads. ThenBrake Buddy will be perfect for that.

As I said good if you have a "Fleet" (2 is a fleet though in the example I think I used 20) .

But every time you put it in the driver's seat that is an install and if you mess up it can total the car's brakes (happened to me on a different system the dealer messed up the install on.. When will I learn to do it or at least check it myself).

and over time that is a lot of work. plus I've spoken to folks who confirmed they said "Oh forget it" for a short trip.. Murphy's law says that's when someone will run out in front of you and SPLAT.

With the M&G or the US-Gear system I had or any of the other fully installed leave 'em in place all the time you just plug it in (if that) 1-2 seconds and it's live.. Some of them you don't even do that.

Mark me down as another Brake Buddy fan. Have been using it for close to 10 years. Very easy and straight forward to install. You would have to be totally incompetant to mess it up. Never felt like leaving it off, even for short drives. Have changed towed vehicle 3 times and the switch over was easy (had to run light setup anyway so adding a 12V charge line and breakaway was not difficult).

X2 bjbear

Also the Brake Buddy does not install in the seat (geesh!) is sits on the floor in front of the driver's seat. No wonder you had a problem.
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
hypoxia wrote:
Executive wrote:

Ready/Brute

That's not really true, We have the ready brute elite and I've wondered on long descents if the toad brakes heat up with the engine brake on, so I stopped once after a downhill and checked, they were warm but not overly hot. The force required to active the brakes completely comes from stopping the MH, or quickly changing the speed of the MH relative to the car. Down a hill with the engine brake on isn't enough of a difference in speed to push the surge all the way, until you brake. Which is the way it's supposed to work. The car brakes when you brake otherwise the speed is relative to yours. In the 6 years we've been towing our CRV with the ready brute system we have not had to change pads any more frequently than not towing.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
My buddy has the Brake Buddy. Install is easy, just plug it into the power outlet, hookup and he monitor/control box in the MH, watch that it connects and your all done. It's a simple system and you can easily move it between vehicles, unlike you system that is only for the 1 car. I'm planning on getting a newer vehicle and will then have 2 available toads. ThenBrake Buddy will be perfect for that.

As I said good if you have a "Fleet" (2 is a fleet though in the example I think I used 20) .

But every time you put it in the driver's seat that is an install and if you mess up it can total the car's brakes (happened to me on a different system the dealer messed up the install on.. When will I learn to do it or at least check it myself).

and over time that is a lot of work. plus I've spoken to folks who confirmed they said "Oh forget it" for a short trip.. Murphy's law says that's when someone will run out in front of you and SPLAT.

With the M&G or the US-Gear system I had or any of the other fully installed leave 'em in place all the time you just plug it in (if that) 1-2 seconds and it's live.. Some of them you don't even do that.

Mark me down as another Brake Buddy fan. Have been using it for close to 10 years. Very easy and straight forward to install. You would have to be totally incompetant to mess it up. Never felt like leaving it off, even for short drives. Have changed towed vehicle 3 times and the switch over was easy (had to run light setup anyway so adding a 12V charge line and breakaway was not difficult).
2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:

Ready/Brute

Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've been using a M&G for the last 5 years. Initial installation took me an hour or so. after that, it's just hook up the air line and go.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard