cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Difference in receiver styles

LoudRam
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 2019 Ram 1500 classic and it doesn't have a receiver so I need to put one on. What is the difference in these styles? I understand the class difference and I'm still debating on whether to use a class 3 or 4 but I can't find any info on the style difference. Both styles can be found in class 3 and 4.

Todd
Desert Storm Vet (US Navy)
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Quad Cab Express 4X4 5.7 Hemi 3.92
2021 Coachmen Spirit Ultra Lite 2557RB

If you can read this thank a teacher
If you can read this in english thank a vet
16 REPLIES 16

LoudRam
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

Lol. So they ordered them that way.

Looks like it.
Todd

LoudRam
Explorer
Explorer
Getting bags has crossed my mind. My old truck needed more suspension work so bags were on my short list of mods. I only had the trailer one season so we'll see how this truck handles it. But yes bags might happen.
Todd

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
LoudRam wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

What's strange, is Hemi with 3.92s and no OE trailer hitch. Mfgs sure do weird things sometimes.

The build sheet says "delete class 4 receiver hitch". I'm guessing that the dealership ordered it specifically without one in the hopes that the future owner would pay extra to have it installed. I asked when I bought the truck and they said it's $500 too have them put one on.

Lol. So they ordered them that way.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
My friend has a similar sized trailer with the Dodge Ram. He had to put air bags in the rear to compensate for the spring suspension. His truck was dragging its rear end around before the air bag install. It helped to level the truck, and ride at proper height. With the front of the trailer low, the axles probably aren't getting the proper weights distributed to them. You might find the front axle is carrying more weight than the rear one the way it is set up.

LoudRam
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

What's strange, is Hemi with 3.92s and no OE trailer hitch. Mfgs sure do weird things sometimes.

The build sheet says "delete class 4 receiver hitch". I'm guessing that the dealership ordered it specifically without one in the hopes that the future owner would pay extra to have it installed. I asked when I bought the truck and they said it's $500 too have them put one on.
Todd

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind a class 5 receiver is 2&1/4" inch and class 3/4 is 2" for any hitches and accessories (platform racks & bike racks, etc.) so if you need a class 5, get it but you might need some adapters.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
philh wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

Probably never tested that engine with trailer towing. My RT Charger was capable of 3800 lbs, and yet the SRT had no tow rating. Funny thing, later models had a much reduced trailer tow capability. rumor was, they never believed anybody would actually tow anything that heavy. It towed fine in the midwest ๐Ÿ™‚

Huh? OP has a 2019 1/2 ton truck. Same pickup since like 2014, same engine since early 2000s essentially.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:

Probably never tested that engine with trailer towing. My RT Charger was capable of 3800 lbs, and yet the SRT had no tow rating. Funny thing, later models had a much reduced trailer tow capability. rumor was, they never believed anybody would actually tow anything that heavy. It towed fine in the midwest ๐Ÿ™‚

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So, it appears that there is already a frame mounted cross "tube" on the trucks that come with no receiver hitch installed? Seems strange but mfgs do strange things.
Personally, even though the little bolt class IV is rated 1000/10000, I'd spend the $150 vs $60 and just get a real frame mounted class V receiver.
If for no other reason than the small one ties into the bumper and the cross tube and I wouldn't want a hitch tied to the truck bumper.

For me, this is not a good place to save $100.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
The bottom one is the way to go! It bolts to the cross tube that the factory receiver is bolted too. No need for the complete add on one, it's going to hang lower and reduce ground clearance.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

LoudRam
Explorer
Explorer
It is pre-wired and has a trans cooler. I made sure of that. I made them get me a build sheet for the truck. And yes I am using an Equalizer WD hitch. That pic is deceiving, the rear sag isn't that bad, it's actually level and that's my old truck not my new one. And yes I have a brake controller. I took my P3 out of my old truck. I have it all under control. I just need to install a receiver and order a new harness for my brake controller and mount it.
Todd

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
LoudRam wrote:
I just bought a 2019 Ram 1500 classic and it doesn't have a receiver so I need to put one on. What is the difference in these styles? I understand the class difference and I'm still debating on whether to use a class 3 or 4 but I can't find any info on the style difference. Both styles can be found in class 3 and 4.

i gotta ask, if your Ram didn't come with a receiver, it must not have the factory tow package, correct? therefore did you have a brake controller and its wiring installed and a trans cooler installed?
Also your combo pic doesn't seem to show that you're using a WDH since i don't see one in the pic and your Ram has a lot of rear sag.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

LoudRam
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
I don think you can use a WD hitch with that little thing on the bottom of your picture.

Some you can. It depends on the receiver itself. The Mopar one like that says it has a limit of 5000/500 without a WD hitch and 12000/1200 with one.

Mopar receiver

I use an Equalizer WD hitch.
Todd

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Isnโ€™t Class III limited to 800 pounds of hitch weight where IV is a thousand? Pretty easy to hit 800 pounds. Max hitch weight on the Silverado is 1,250.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad