Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Difference in receiver styles
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Difference in receiver styles

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
LoudRam

Southern NJ

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought a 2019 Ram 1500 classic and it doesn't have a receiver so I need to put one on. What is the difference in these styles? I understand the class difference and I'm still debating on whether to use a class 3 or 4 but I can't find any info on the style difference. Both styles can be found in class 3 and 4.

[image]

* This post was edited 01/09/20 03:14pm by LoudRam *

Todd
Desert Storm Vet (US Navy)
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Quad Cab Express 4X4 5.7 Hemi 3.92
2018 Dutchmen Aspen Trail 2880RKS

If you can read this thank a teacher
If you can read this in english thank a vet

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not a matter of style. The class is determined by the weight of what you intend to tow.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/20 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don think you can use a WD hitch with that little thing on the bottom of your picture.

Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/20 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Isn’t Class III limited to 800 pounds of hitch weight where IV is a thousand? Pretty easy to hit 800 pounds. Max hitch weight on the Silverado is 1,250.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

LoudRam

Southern NJ

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K Charles wrote:

I don think you can use a WD hitch with that little thing on the bottom of your picture.

Some you can. It depends on the receiver itself. The Mopar one like that says it has a limit of 5000/500 without a WD hitch and 12000/1200 with one.

Mopar receiver

I use an Equalizer WD hitch.

* This post was last edited 01/10/20 03:47am by LoudRam *   View edit history

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/20 01:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LoudRam wrote:

I just bought a 2019 Ram 1500 classic and it doesn't have a receiver so I need to put one on. What is the difference in these styles? I understand the class difference and I'm still debating on whether to use a class 3 or 4 but I can't find any info on the style difference. Both styles can be found in class 3 and 4.

[image]

i gotta ask, if your Ram didn't come with a receiver, it must not have the factory tow package, correct? therefore did you have a brake controller and its wiring installed and a trans cooler installed?
Also your combo pic doesn't seem to show that you're using a WDH since i don't see one in the pic and your Ram has a lot of rear sag.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

LoudRam

Southern NJ

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 03:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is pre-wired and has a trans cooler. I made sure of that. I made them get me a build sheet for the truck. And yes I am using an Equalizer WD hitch. That pic is deceiving, the rear sag isn't that bad, it's actually level and that's my old truck not my new one. And yes I have a brake controller. I took my P3 out of my old truck. I have it all under control. I just need to install a receiver and order a new harness for my brake controller and mount it.

* This post was last edited 01/10/20 04:57am by LoudRam *   View edit history

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The bottom one is the way to go! It bolts to the cross tube that the factory receiver is bolted too. No need for the complete add on one, it's going to hang lower and reduce ground clearance.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, it appears that there is already a frame mounted cross "tube" on the trucks that come with no receiver hitch installed? Seems strange but mfgs do strange things.
Personally, even though the little bolt class IV is rated 1000/10000, I'd spend the $150 vs $60 and just get a real frame mounted class V receiver.
If for no other reason than the small one ties into the bumper and the cross tube and I wouldn't want a hitch tied to the truck bumper.

For me, this is not a good place to save $100.

What's strange, is Hemi with 3.92s and no OE trailer hitch. Mfgs sure do weird things sometimes.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

What's strange, is Hemi with 3.92s and no OE trailer hitch. Mfgs sure do weird things sometimes.

Probably never tested that engine with trailer towing. My RT Charger was capable of 3800 lbs, and yet the SRT had no tow rating. Funny thing, later models had a much reduced trailer tow capability. rumor was, they never believed anybody would actually tow anything that heavy. It towed fine in the midwest [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Difference in receiver styles
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.