Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Difference in receiver styles
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Difference in receiver styles

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

What's strange, is Hemi with 3.92s and no OE trailer hitch. Mfgs sure do weird things sometimes.

Probably never tested that engine with trailer towing. My RT Charger was capable of 3800 lbs, and yet the SRT had no tow rating. Funny thing, later models had a much reduced trailer tow capability. rumor was, they never believed anybody would actually tow anything that heavy. It towed fine in the midwest [emoticon]

Huh? OP has a 2019 1/2 ton truck. Same pickup since like 2014, same engine since early 2000s essentially.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep in mind a class 5 receiver is 2&1/4" inch and class 3/4 is 2" for any hitches and accessories (platform racks & bike racks, etc.) so if you need a class 5, get it but you might need some adapters.

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited
2019 F150 SCrew STX SB 5.0 factory tow package

LoudRam

Southern NJ

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

What's strange, is Hemi with 3.92s and no OE trailer hitch. Mfgs sure do weird things sometimes.

The build sheet says "delete class 4 receiver hitch". I'm guessing that the dealership ordered it specifically without one in the hopes that the future owner would pay extra to have it installed. I asked when I bought the truck and they said it's $500 too have them put one on.

Todd
Desert Storm Vet (US Navy)
2019 1500 Classic Quad Cab Express 4X4 5.7 Hemi 3.92
2018 Dutchmen Aspen Trail 2880RKS

If you can read this thank a teacher
If you can read this in english thank a vet

winniman

muskoka Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My friend has a similar sized trailer with the Dodge Ram. He had to put air bags in the rear to compensate for the spring suspension. His truck was dragging its rear end around before the air bag install. It helped to level the truck, and ride at proper height. With the front of the trailer low, the axles probably aren't getting the proper weights distributed to them. You might find the front axle is carrying more weight than the rear one the way it is set up.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LoudRam wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

The build sheet says "delete class 4 receiver hitch". I'm guessing that the dealership ordered it specifically without one in the hopes that the future owner would pay extra to have it installed. I asked when I bought the truck and they said it's $500 too have them put one on.

Lol. So they ordered them that way.

LoudRam

Southern NJ

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Getting bags has crossed my mind. My old truck needed more suspension work so bags were on my short list of mods. I only had the trailer one season so we'll see how this truck handles it. But yes bags might happen.

LoudRam

Southern NJ

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Lol. So they ordered them that way.

Looks like it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Difference in receiver styles
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.