cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tankless water heater

myface
Explorer
Explorer
2001 Winnebago Brave SE 29A. Does any one replaced the water heater with tank less (on demand) water heater?. My water heater works, but take some time to heat up. I had one on a boat and worked good. Within 2sec I had hot water running.
14 REPLIES 14

Tersnnter
Explorer
Explorer

I've been considering a tankless water heater for my RV as well. I've heard they can be more efficient and provide endless hot water, which would be great for longer showers or washing dishes. I'm curious to know what brand and model you installed on your boat, and if you had any issues with the installation or operation.

One thing to consider is that tankless water heaters require a higher flow rate than traditional tank models. This means you may need to upgrade your water pump or add a booster pump to ensure you have enough water pressure. Additionally, tankless water heaters can be more expensive than traditional models, so it's important to weigh the pros and cons before making a decision.

If you're considering a tankless water heater for your RV, I would recommend doing some research to find a model that is compatible with your RV's water system. You should also consult with a qualified RV technician to ensure that the installation is done correctly.

Overall, I think tankless water heaters can be a great option for RVers who are looking for an efficient and convenient way to get hot water. However, it's important to do your research and make sure that a tankless water heater is the right choice for your RV.

Hi Tersnnter - Welcome to the forum.

This is a three year old thread and the original poster is unlikely to see your question. We typically don't allow replies to threads more than a year old, but there was a software glitch that allowed it. I'm going to close this thread and you can start a new discussion if you'd like.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
myface wrote:
https://www.campingworld.com/eccotemp-l5-portable-tankless--water-heater-37786.html?cgid=water-heaters#start=2&cgid=maintain-your-rv%2Ffresh-water%2Fwater-heaters

That's a portable unit. Neat Idea but you'd have to do some serious modifications to the unit and your RV to retrofit that. Biggest concern would be how to make the controls, which are on the unit itself, be able to be controlled from in your RV shower. This is not meant to be a replacement for your RV's water heater.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

myface
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.campingworld.com/eccotemp-l5-portable-tankless--water-heater-37786.html?cgid=water-heaters#start=2&cgid=maintain-your-rv%2Ffresh-water%2Fwater-heaters

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
myface wrote:
Just check Camping World and they are selling 1.5g/min for $109. I had that one on a boat and for shower and dishes work great. For me was enough. Just wander of how hard would be to replace the tank water heater.

link?

myface
Explorer
Explorer
Just check Camping World and they are selling 1.5g/min for $109. I had that one on a boat and for shower and dishes work great. For me was enough. Just wander of how hard would be to replace the tank water heater.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
dougrainer wrote:
myface wrote:
The one I had, I purchase from Camping World for $98. Worked great. I forgot the brand name.

Standard RV Tankless water heater cost from a low of $400 to up to $800. Don't know what you purchased for 98$, but it was NOT a Tankless water heater that would do the job in an RV. Doug

PS, Since Tankless for RV's came out years ago, I have replaced countless Tankless with a standard water heater at the customer request. Some Paid for by the OEM (under warranty) and others out of the customers pocket. I have NEVER had a customer come in and have me install a Tankless and then the customer is happy with the Tankless. I would NEVER have an LP Tankless Water Heater in my RV.

Likely due to all the variables involved. Tankless water heaters rely on certain parameters in order to work effectively and consistently . You need to heat water at a temperature of X to desired temperature Y in a distance of a few inches at a GPM rate of Z. In a S&B house all these variables, specifically X and Z are static. In an RV they are very unstable. Each CG will have different flow rates and ground water temps. And the flow rate from an on board water pump also pulses and is pretty low and inconsistent. The ebb and flow of pressure from an onboard water pump would drive a tankless heater crazy unless you had a bladder tank to equalize pressure. Even your on board water tank can swing in temps dramatically. I am surprised they tried to tackle it at all in an RV application. They seem to work for some though, perhaps their conditions are less variable.

I would also argue their efficiency in an RV application over a standard tank. Most people in houses use them to save money so they aren't heating water in a large tank 24/7. In an RV if your tank is set to electric, you don't pay the Cg for electric usage by the KW. It's a flat fee. If your tank is on LP, most people I know, including me, only turn on the water heater before they take a shower or dishes etc. It's not left on 24/7. So there is really no efficiency advantage. It's just a gadget - that often doesn't meet expectations. in a house they are great. I personally think an RV is the wrong application.

To the OP, has the performance of your water heater degraded over time? They don't last forever, perhaps there are mineral deposits built up etc. maybe it needs drained/cleaned, element replaced etc.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure to search this Forum for `tankless' before committing.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
pconroy328 wrote:
This is a hot topic (pun intended) over on the Jayco forums. Seems like Jayco lead the pack with widespread use of tankless water heaters.

Two main manufacturers get the most discussion - Girard and Truma. Girard came with many Jayco's starting around 2016.

People either love the Girard or hate it. No one's in the middle. The latest Girard (Gen III) is less quirkly than the earlier models but it's still something you have to learn to use.

People who love tankless but hate the Girard quirks replace their Girard with a Truma. The Truma's about 3x the cost of a Girard and has to be installed by a licensed Truma dealer.

We have a Gen II Girard in our Jayco and really like it.
Yeah, it took a while to figure out how to make it work well - but we figured it out. That said, if it ever dies, I'll consider replacing it with a Truma.

The Truma is a different animal. It is 3 to 4 times the cost(average $1600), but does a far superior job of supplying Hot Water. The disadvantage to the Truma is you have to do a decalcification process once a year or more depending on the quality of your water. IF you pay a service center to do that, it will cost from $150 to $200. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
myface wrote:
The one I had, I purchase from Camping World for $98. Worked great. I forgot the brand name.

Standard RV Tankless water heater cost from a low of $400 to up to $800. Don't know what you purchased for 98$, but it was NOT a Tankless water heater that would do the job in an RV. Doug

PS, Since Tankless for RV's came out years ago, I have replaced countless Tankless with a standard water heater at the customer request. Some Paid for by the OEM (under warranty) and others out of the customers pocket. I have NEVER had a customer come in and have me install a Tankless and then the customer is happy with the Tankless. I would NEVER have an LP Tankless Water Heater in my RV.

LAST, I should have mentioned we no longer install a Tankless in place of a water heater UNLESS it is a Truma. We got tired of having customers complain about the other tankless units.

myface
Explorer
Explorer

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The 60K BTU Subruban gets good reviews.

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
This is a hot topic (pun intended) over on the Jayco forums. Seems like Jayco lead the pack with widespread use of tankless water heaters.

Two main manufacturers get the most discussion - Girard and Truma. Girard came with many Jayco's starting around 2016.

People either love the Girard or hate it. No one's in the middle. The latest Girard (Gen III) is less quirkly than the earlier models but it's still something you have to learn to use.

People who love tankless but hate the Girard quirks replace their Girard with a Truma. The Truma's about 3x the cost of a Girard and has to be installed by a licensed Truma dealer.

We have a Gen II Girard in our Jayco and really like it.
Yeah, it took a while to figure out how to make it work well - but we figured it out. That said, if it ever dies, I'll consider replacing it with a Truma.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
It doesn’t take that long, does it? At 65 F degrees outside temperature, what amount of time?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad