Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Glacier National Park to Yellowstone National Park.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Glacier National Park to Yellowstone National Park.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Kerpowski

Calgary

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello fellow RVers,

My family and I are looking to Camp in our RV(30 ft travel trailer) this summer in these two areas. We're coming in from Canada at border north of Glacier. We'll be staying about a week to ten days. I'm looking for information on:

1. The best campgrounds. Scenery, privacy, RV amenities.

2. Most scenic travel routes. Time isn't an issue. (We will be taking a drive to see the Beartooth highway while camping in Yellowstone).

3. Any other tips and advice about this area or nearby places I could knock off my bucket list?

Appreciate your comments!!

Lwiddis

Monterey, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/20 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. Stay inside Yellowstone to avoid the drive into the park and the lines at entry ranger stations. 2. Make reservations.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/20 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Although I've been to Yellowstone, I'm also interested with the answers as we'll be doing the opposite route north.

I hope you'll have the time to visit the Grand Teton all the way to Jackson Hole. Inside these two parks, there will be pamphlets with enough information to pinpoint the attractions. And all those are bucket-list worthy.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/20 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you plan to stay inside YNP you better make your reservations as soon as possible. Be came down from the Kalispel side after visiting Banff. If you want hookups Fishing Bridge is the main campground. We took Hwy 83 down it was quite scenic with many lakes.

I assume you don't plan to spend any time in Glacier. Once you get into YNP you will find plenty to occupy your time. The various geyser basins, Yellowstone canyon, the thermal features at Mammoth. And plenty more. Bear Tooth pass is not suitable for most RV's but you seem to know that.
If you run out of things to do at YNP there is always the Grand Tetons. Being from Canada I guess you may know what that means.... There is plenty to see there. And some like the Jackson tourist trap town.

We have spent at least a month in YNP and a week in GT and still haven't seen everything.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Kerpowski

Calgary

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for your replies! It appears that fishing bridge RV park is closed until September! Any other options for RVs that you know of in YNP?

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/20 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a park in between YNP and GT that has full hookups, I don't recall the name but you can look it up. There are many commercial cg outside West Yellowstone and Mammoth if all else fails. But those fill up fast too.

RickLight

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/20 10:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glacier is 3 or 5 different parks. Don't limit yourself!

Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/20 10:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fishing Bridge is the only CG with hookup within YNP. West Yellowstone and the area around Gardner MT has some CG with hookups. Take your time and enjoy both parks. Don't forget to visit Grand Teton National Park.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

yr2017

Montana/Panama

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/20 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarabooBob wrote:

Fishing Bridge is the only CG with hookup within YNP. West Yellowstone and the area around Gardner MT has some CG with hookups. Take your time and enjoy both parks. Don't forget to visit Grand Teton National Park.

Fishing Bridge won't be available. Wasn't last year either.
https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/fishingbridgecg.htm

Big AL -
1977 Skookum 53, DD453, slps 6, 2 heads in Panama - cruising the Pearl Islands

Islandman

NW Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/20 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since Fishing Bridge CG indide YNP will be closed, I recommend a very good RV park in West Yellowstone, I forget the name perhaps another reader might recall it. West is a handy place to do all the touring inside YNP and there are things to do inside the town also. Another town to consider is Gardiner on the north side of the park, I'm not familiar with places to stay there however, it's been too long since I've been there. You will want to drive the Beartooth while in the Yellowstone area, but only do it with your tow vehicle, definitely do not take your trailer up on that highway if you want to enjoy the trip.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Glacier National Park to Yellowstone National Park.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.