Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Odd thing happening.

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
This Light

I have a motion detector light that operates on 3 AA batteries that I put in the cabinet over the drivers seat. Every time I run the microwave, the light comes on. The cabinet door is closed but I can see a sliver of light on the ceiling above the cabinet. Makes me wonder what that microwave is putting out into the air. Not really looking for an answer just thought it was odd.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited
13 REPLIES 13

GenoB
Explorer
Explorer
I worked in the electronic security business for over 40 years. There are several types of motion detectors
a) PIR - Passive Infrared going into alarm when a heat source makes a sudden change in front of it. Microwave energy can set it off by saturation to the circuit board if close enough. Also vibration on the surface it is mounted on can set it off as well
b) Microwave - Goes into alarm when a solid object moves in front of it disturbing the received microwave energy. Another microwave source close by could set it off
c) Ultrasonic - Sound waves bounce off of objects and it looks for a shift in the received sound waves when a person walks in front. This is not used much anymore because all kinds of factors would set them off. Not sure if microwaves would interfere with these
* If your leaking that much microwave to set off a motion detector inside a nearby cabinet you need to look into this right away ... Try putting a piece of tin foil on the inside of the door and see if the microwave still sets if off, bet it doesn't .. that would indicate the microwave is leaking all over the place
*** Referaing to the piece of tin foil on the door, I MEANT THE WOODEN DOOR WHERE THE MOTON SENSOR IS, NOT THE MICROWAVE DOOR

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
What JKWilson said.....
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
If I remember correctly, those "motion" detectors sense a change in temperature. Could the microwave be venting some heat into that cabinet?
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could it be sensing the turntable going around? Try turning it off and see what happens.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
PIR detectors will trigger in the presence of RF, and all microwaves leak a little. We used to have to lock-out the power in the break room at work to perform tests at the other end of the building.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Wear a baseball cap lined with aluminum foil, you'll be fine. ๐Ÿ™‚

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
could it be its just feeling the vibration of the microwave?

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
bob213 wrote:
Would not surprise me. We have an Amazon smart plug that loses it's wifi connection when the microwave is on and my laptop looses it's internet connection as well. They all operate on the same (or close to) frequency so the microwave must leak enough to disrupt the signal. Maybe your light is interpreting the wave as movement.

It may be possible to stop your interference:

If your WiFi router and laptop can operate on the 5 GHz WiFi band instead of the common (and often default band when you get them) 2.4 GHz WiFi band ... then switch your router and laptop over to the 5 GHz WiFi band.

The 2.4 GHz WiFi band is used by a lot of inhome WiFi "gadgets", so get off this band as much as you can for any and all WiFi equipment in your home - if your equipment and router are new enough to have 5 GHz capability.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Would not surprise me. We have an Amazon smart plug that loses it's wifi connection when the microwave is on and my laptop looses it's internet connection as well. They all operate on the same (or close to) frequency so the microwave must leak enough to disrupt the signal. Maybe your light is interpreting the wave as movement.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Probably enough RF leakage to mess with its circuitry.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Take your pick of these Microwave Leakage Detectors:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=microwave+detector&i=tools&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

See if your microwave is leaking any hazardous levels.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Breathe deeply. Youโ€™ll live forever. Glow in the dark. Be the marvel of your community.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Zap! You're sterile! ๐Ÿ˜ž
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.