cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

better to adjust wd hitch for heavy load? or for unloaded TV

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
Replacing w/d hitch...plan to assemble/set it up this weekend...here's the issue

We have a small motorcycle that fits in the truck bed...sometimes we take it with us on camping trips/sometimes we don't...weighs about 250..

the question: with this new hitch, would it be better to set up the rig with the bike loaded on the truck, such that the hitch would sit higher when we travel without it? or would it be better to set up the rig withOUT the bike loaded, such that the hitch would sit lower when we travel with the bike in the truck bed?

Also, I'm well within hitch weight so not looking for 'check capacity' advice...

Thanks in advance
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control
6 REPLIES 6

blt2ski
I adjusted to load. 4 links one trip, 5 another. Sometimes, screw WD, drive away!

I'm with others, no such thing as always ready to go. Adjust as needed

Some of us even remove them when putting the trailer away, as this allows trailer to turn quicker when backing, which can be advantageous at times.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep,I agree with the others. Just adjust the links for the load. If you just need half a link you can use a short grade 8 bolt and nut to take up half of the link.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
I would let the numbers decide. Load the bike, gas cans, firewood, trailer full of water and setup your hitch. Take note of how much it squats and how much you level out with the WD installed.

Then if you ever leave the bike at home, measure everything again to make sure the rear end didnt rise to an unsafe level.

Not sure what i would do regarding gas in the truck. Maybe 1/2 tank?

What bike.....tw200 maybe? Trying to think what is small but still heavy.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Set the hitch up according to how you USUALLY load the truck. Personally, I would set it up with the bike in the truck since I would be always taking the bike. :C
Although, as the others have said, you can set it up without the bike and then if you need more WD because of the load, then just take another chain link up.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed. If you have chains just adjust them.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
On my old school chain on the end of the bars hitch one chain link adjusts weight transfer to the front axle in about 200lbs increments. Adjusting does change the handling of the truck.