cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Love my Mr Heater Hunting Buddy

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Have always hated the built-in furnace in my 5th wheel. Noisy as hell, sucks propane and drains the battery overnight. I recently slept a couple nights in cold weather with the Hunting buddy and couldnt be happier. Kept the trailer a nice 65* while on low, makes no noise, and sips propane. Best of all I dont have to worry about dead batteries in the morning. Great product!
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch
13 REPLIES 13

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using a Mr. Buddy "Little Buddy" heater for years. No smell, works great in small spaces. It actually fits inside a 5 gallon bucket, with a couple of propane bottles, for storage.

Available on Amazon (affiliate link): https://amzn.to/2tFNI8N

Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
roadtoadflorida wrote:
I have the Heating Buddy. I tried using it, but the fumes it gave off was awful. Anybody else have issues with the fumes it produces? Smells Like those Old Coleman Catalyic tub heaters. Maybe my unit is bad or something.

Something is not right. We use a Big Buddy when spring boondocking in a popup, never smelled any odors from the heater.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
roadtoadflorida wrote:
I have the Heating Buddy. I tried using it, but the fumes it gave off was awful. Anybody else have issues with the fumes it produces? Smells Like those Old Coleman Catalyic tub heaters. Maybe my unit is bad or something.

Have never had a problem with fumes on either one of our Heater Buddy models.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

roadtoadflorida
Explorer
Explorer
Ken and Pat
CB Handle: "Road Toad" Channel 19
2011 Flagstaff 30 FT TT
2015 Ford F250 4x4 Crew Cab
Okaloosa County, Florida

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Plenty of Youtube videos on whether they are safe. I have zero worries...

I dont sleep in freezing temps at home so why should I have to in my trailer? No fun getting up to piss in freezing temps

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
So far, we have never needed heat at night -- the trailer may get down to about 32 degrees inside, but we sleep like hibernating bears under a thick down comforter. No problem, till you have to get up in the middle of the night. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 - that irrational fear is ok. It's somewhat why we only use ours during the day. We have the small one too that we use in our tent trailer and run it all night with a zipped flap down on one corner, but hubby still doesn't like to run these when we sleep so he gets up and shuts it off.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have to confess -- I have an irrational fear of the propane heaters -- will they use up all the oxygen? Poison me with carbon monoxide?

I say "irrational" because thousands of people use these with no trouble at all. And yes, they have to be vented, but nobody would do without some fresh air ventilation inside the RV, regardless of what kind of heater you have. So the ventilation requirement is no reason to doubt the worth of propane heaters.

And yes, there can be condensation if the ventilation is not adequate, but again that is true of all heaters.

And the little propane units are silent (unlike the built in furnace!) and use no power (also unlike the furnace).

One of these days I will overcome my prejudices and get a small propane unit.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

jolvi
Explorer
Explorer
Do the same thing, use small Mr. Buddy to heat trailer and avoid using the propane and battery on trailer. National Parks we have visited have very limited power hookup. We have a solar charger so keeping battery charged is not a big issue if need to use furnace. Bonus we use the heater in the screen tent that we have three solid panels for and let me say this at Glacier it was nice to sit outside and enjoy the day and night even in the snow.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We too like ours. Heats us out. We mainly use it during the day when we're awake, then use the onboard heater set to 45 to conserve on propane. We like it colder at night anyway.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Im running mine off a 20lb propane tank and 10ft Mr Hearter hose I run through a cracked window. Not a fan of those 1lb cylinders

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
And when you tire of the $5 per pound cylinder price try this.
cylinder refill
the adaptor is available on amazon for less than $10
adaptor
And it cuts the cost per cylinder down to about $1 per tank.

In winter months I find I dont need to refrigerate the tanks, just setting them outside when the temps are below 50 or so is enough .

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
As long as the low-oxygen (ODS) and tip-over safety shut-off systems are working you are good to go.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad