cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winnebago Navion Murphy Bed

sloman2001
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering purchasing a Winnebago Navion 24D which has a murphy bed. Has anyone else dealt with the size and operation of the murphy bed. Unsure how to attach sheets. Does the bed need to be made up every day or do the sheets stay attached? If the sheets stay attached, how do they stay in place? Has anyone replaced the Winnebago mattress with a queen foam mattress? Any help would be appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
We had not problem with using standard sheets on the bed in our 24D. The Murphy bed is the easiest for both of us to have a roomy bed and each of us able to get up during the night without crawling over the other person. The "twin" beds are 32" wide for 6 inches narrower than a standard twin which is why we passed on this when looking at RV's.

Don't overlook the dry bath in the layout and the room in front of the toilet. In the Navion 24D it is less than 13 inches from the edge of the toilet seat to the wall and this is one significant defect with the design. A six foot tall person is going to have to sit side saddle on it.

In retrospect the 24D or any of the Winnebago class C RVs that use the Sprinter cab chassis are not a good choice for towing or for boondocking between the low GCWR and very low OCCC and the DC only fridge along with the electric induction burner and having only a single propane burner.

melissajeffrey
Explorer
Explorer
There are many mattress sheets available in the market I am already bought that fixed sheet for my new mattress through Luma Sleep coupons, and it's really good, if you still not bought yet so check that out.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see a lot of rv queen / short queen beds in the width of 60" and a short length of 75" opposed to a regular full size queen at 60x80.
I have seen people use a foam filler at the head of the bed and then use a regular set of 60x80 sheets on a 60x75 short queen bed when they have a filler in place.

The problem I have found in many rvs like certain Winnebago floorplans and some Airstreams is the bed they use is only 48" to 54" wide and in most cases there is no room to add a foam filler on the sides to make it wider. That's why I shopped for a floorplan with a full size 60W x 80L full time bed . I can buy any replacement full size queen mattress from anywhere if I need to replace it. I use a Serta Deluxe pillowtop at this time and find it very comfortable which is important to those that spend 1/3 of their life in a bed :).

Flarpswitch
Explorer
Explorer
If you shop online, look for "Short Queen" when looking for bedding. We have been able to find mattress protectors, mattress pads and sheets that fit perfectly.
Steve

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
I think they call the smaller bed the "RV Queen", and it is smaller than a regular queen. Different sheets required.

Another issue with the LTV on the Ford Transit chassis, is towing. If you're ever planning on pulling anything, better check the towing capacity. The Ford Transit chassis has comparable engine/drive train specs to the Sprinters, but it's towing capapcity was 3500lbs versus 5,000lbs with the Sprinter cab chassis. We planned to pull our Wrangler sometimes, and needed the Sprinter's extra capacity.
That may have changed with newer Transit cab chassis models, I thought I read somewhere that they were trying to beef it up, but it's worth looking into, before you buy.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK MDK, Tnx for that LTV info and comparison, I had not compared that yet.
Another thing that's a must have for us is a full 60x80 queen. Well, 60" wide at least, the 80" L is not as important for us. Some brands say they offer a QB but when you measure them...54" W :?

Down the road I was going to look into the LVT Wonder because of the Ford platform. I'm all too familiar with the AMG Benz car and knowing that expense makes me shy away from the Sprinters. I banged my head once and don't want to suffer any more brain damage doing it again. :B

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
Just my opinion , so often I would see customers come into my friends rv repair shop with slide problems while on vacation. Not being able to use their rig I didn't want to ever be in that position after dishing $100k plus for an rv.
An important option for me is to be able to use a slide floorplan 100% with the slide "IN" in case of a malfunction while on the road. RV repair appointments can be a tad hard to come by during the busy rv season. Therefore I try to make life as simple as possible nowadays, one less thing to have to deal with.

I would want to be able to use the bed 100% of the time and maybe I'm wrong but it does not appear that this can be done in the Winnie MB floorplan with the additional dinette.
Before you sign a contract, I would at least look at the Leisure Travel Van MB non slide floorplan which is easy to use 100% of the time while at the same time, be made while storing it up out of the way as well as having a comfy seating system for tv or reading time as well as a dinette for eating. Its a comfy full size queen with not having to upgrade its mattress.
LTV's 'wonder MB' on a Ford Transit or the 'Unity MB' if you prefer the Benz chassis are avl., under 25 ft. Both have full size dry baths.

Agree about having full use of the floorplan with the slide(s) in, including having a bed always made up and ready. That's why we chose the 24V over the 24G/24J/24D (in 2018) floorplans. It provided the best of both worlds layout for us, with 2 separate living spaces divided by a full dry bath. Everything can be used, slide in or out.
The point about slides failing is another good one. When they do it can be difficult to do a temp fix, and then get an appointment for a proper repair.
As far as LTV versus Winnebago, pretty much the same MB chassis, but I still think the Winnebago units have more standard equipment than the comparable LTV units. That's why we went with a Navion over a Unity or Serenity. To see the differences, you have to get the 2 brochures and compare what's standard equipment and included in the purchase price, to what's optional (and extra $$$).
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just my opinion , so often I would see customers come into my friends rv repair shop with slide problems while on vacation. Not being able to use their rig I didn't want to ever be in that position after dishing $100k plus for an rv.
An important option for me is to be able to use a slide floorplan 100% with the slide "IN" in case of a malfunction while on the road. RV repair appointments can be a tad hard to come by during the busy rv season. Therefore I try to make life as simple as possible nowadays, one less thing to have to deal with.

I would want to be able to use the bed 100% of the time and maybe I'm wrong but it does not appear that this can be done in the Winnie MB floorplan with the additional dinette.
Before you sign a contract, I would at least look at the Leisure Travel Van MB non slide floorplan which is easy to use 100% of the time while at the same time, be made while storing it up out of the way as well as having a comfy seating system for tv or reading time as well as a dinette for eating. Its a comfy full size queen with not having to upgrade its mattress.
LTV's 'wonder MB' on a Ford Transit or the 'Unity MB' if you prefer the Benz chassis are avl., under 25 ft. Both have full size dry baths.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Try searching the Sprinter-Source or WinnieOwners websites. You might have better luck over there. I've seen a few threads on the subject of the 24D layout and reviews, but don't recall any mention of sheets and bedding.
Here's a review. They work for/are paid by WGO, I believe. So, grain of salt?
https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-reviews/our-review-of-winnebagos-new-viewnavion-24d/