cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too big for a T/C ?

GAR2
Explorer
Explorer

After all the help I received here , (disappointed T/C weight) I drove 3-1/2 hours yesterday to look at the 2016 Ford 10.0 T/C.
I found several issues right off, but was told by the RV place it was being sold as is. Apparently they picked it up on auction. Beautiful on the outside but there’s no way I could even sit at the Dinette Table. My legs were crammed up, and pressed against the bottom of the table top and my head was against the overhead storage compartment. I couldn’t even be comfortable waiting out a rain/thunderstorm.

I think someone here mentioned it, but since I’m new at this I gonna take a trip in a few weeks to a couple showrooms with T/C’s both HS & SS. My wife says I’m to **** big for a T/C. 6’2” - 310 lbs. Are there any of you guys, big fellers, using a T/C and what Brands/Models are giving you the most room for sit down / Dinette? Not too worried about the bathroom- I know it’s gonna be a tight fit and would be ok with delete altogether and use outside toilet/shower. Thanks
In the market to buy a T/C
2002 F350 4wd CC DRW 8’ box
Load Lifter 5000 rear air bags, front Timbrens
Rancho 9000 shocks
Brighton, Illinois
19 REPLIES 19

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Ceiling height is ceiling height. , you'll just have to find one that works for you . There are many work around for the table . Google " sliding rv dinette table " , and you will find several , mine is one of them . If it is a single pedestal type they come in different heights and can be changed easily .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Thank goodness I’m a little guy

I moved the table to off center when our Lance 1161 was new

Spin for company
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
i just bought an older camper. just found out the table will sping on its single pole base. this is mounted offset on the bottom of the tabe so one way it makes more isle space, spin it 180 and it makes more seating space.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
For a comfortable table for the dinette, look at the Lagun system.

https://www.lagunusa.com/

Capri has started using them in their campers, and you can see one in action around 1:30 in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug_7Qub5mxY

As for replacing your mattress with 4" of memory foam, memory foam is never used as a mattress by itself. so called memory foam mattresses all have 2" or 3" of memory foam bonded on top of 4" to 5" of regular foam.

The Foam factory can custom cut almost anything you want. Take a look at their web site.

https://www.thefoamfactory.com/mattress/mattress.html

Ranger_Tim
Explorer
Explorer
I am 6'5" and 250 lbs. The truck camper works for me fine. I would hit my head on the A/C unit if I stood full height under it but it doesn't bother me. Some campers didn't have the interior height so I avoided them. The U-shaped dinette works fine in my model because it has enough room at each end for me to sit. It is better when the table is absent. I would like to replace it with one of those adjustable tables.

All truck campers that I can afford or have the ability to carry are tight on space. I buy it to sleep and cook in, not "hang out." I prefer to sit outside if at all possible, so interior room is not that important to me. If I had bought it to live in I would buy another type of motorhome. Having the ability to park nearly everywhere, tow something and to fit in nearly any campsite are worth putting up with a small interior.

Good luck with your mission.
Ranger Tim
2006 F-350 Super Crew King Ranch SRW Bulletproofed
2016 Wolf Creek 840
Upper and Lower StableLoads

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
We had a AC 1150 because my wife is claustrophobic and we used it for 4 years but she won out so now we have a 32' 5er
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm 6'2" 240, down from the 260 when I bought my camper. And I have one of the smaller campers on the market. One thing that helps is this camper doesn't have the U shaped dinette, just a bench along one side with a removable table in front. I never use the table but at meal time pull out a folding tray table.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Some people just can't get used to the height issue with a TC hence the only reason I have mine..The guy had horses his wife showed and wanted to try a TC but he could not get used to the low ceiling with his 6'4" height..After selling the TC to me,they were going to a horse trailer with living quarters..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dinettes vary by manufacturer and model. You are quite a bit heavier but my height. No, dinettes aren’t comfortable to anyone. My DW is a foot shorter and still isn’t comfortable. We leave the table at home most of the time and I built a half round 2 foot table to use in it’s place. That gives us a lot more leg room.

We’ve thought about a love seat, but you can loose storage. We may still do it sometime, but have got by for 13 years so maybe not. 😄

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
6'1" 230, and I just modified my dinette for me to fit comfortably.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

GAR2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks mkirsch - I was real happy with the over cab bed on the Ford 10.0, easy to get up on, stretch out, and could even sit up without banging my head. I’ll be looking again next week, thanks for the recommendation.
Rancho 9000 shocks
Brighton, Illinois

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm about the same size as you and I make it work in a Palomino Bronco B1500.

RV dinettes aren't made for guys like us. I got rid of mine. Permanently put the tabletop in "bed" mode and use the dinette area as a couch. The base and pipe are in the under-bed storage area, and the screws are in the "junk drawer" so if anyone in the future ever wants to restore the functionality...

What do I do for a table in the camper? Nothing, really. Haven't found the need for one. I have a small folding table in the under-bed storage, but I've only ever used it once, and that was outside the camper...

Worst part of the whole deal is rolling over in bed. I replaced the stock mattress with my old bedroom mattress, and it's quite a bit thicker, so I can't roll over without getting wedged against the ceiling. I'd like to find a piece of super-firm memory foam about 4" thick to make a roomier cabover area.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Get one with the adjustable dinette instead of a fixed dinette..The table top slides from to side instead of being fixed in one location...I redid the slider on mine to accommodate my 6'4" 275 pound son...As to the heighth,Arctic Fox is probably the best bet with the arched ceiling.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

GAR2
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
If you have mobility issues, a truck camper will not be for you. Look at larger campers like the Chalet, Host or Eagle Cap models that have floors starting above the bed rails of a pickup.

Thank you for the reply. No mobility issues, just size issues- Lol. Im still very active, no arthritis, work in a casting foundry as a boilermaker, climbing, high work, etc. My son (31) is built the same way as old dad, poor kid- Lol. I know every inch counts in theT/C’s but it will be so nice to be able to have a camper and pull my fishing boat.

As for vacationing— my plan is to still by a 5th wheel for my wife and I. The T/C will only be for fishing/hunting.
Rancho 9000 shocks
Brighton, Illinois