cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire pressure monitors

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pros and cons about flow through or non flow through TPMS valves?
Our trailer is just wide enough to block any view I have of the tires, and I'm investing in a TPMS system before the season begins.
Thanks
30 REPLIES 30

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good reasoning. I've blown a tire and not known about until I was flagged down by a LEO. One of the reasons I run a TPMS. It may not have prevented the failure, but at least I would have known about it sooner. Just look at it as insurance.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whew! One reason I asked the question is; I had a previous trailer that was a POS. However, I installed first rate tires because of the stock china bombs. In California, one tire found a large spike thing that blew the tire. Because I could see tire in the mirror I was able to pull over right away.
On my current rig--I can't see the tires at all. Hence the reason I'm interested in TPMS.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
As usual just supporting your side of the topic isnโ€™t enough as some feel the need to stoop to name calling. NICE!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I use a TPMS and don't pay attention to what trolls do.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
TPMS wouldn't have notified me of this tire tread loss. This is the ONLY tire issue I have ever had towing my RV's well over 100k. I had just stopped for fuel, all tire temps were good and tread looked good. 15 minutes later pc of tread flew off that I thought was a rubber bungie seen in my side mirror. Stopped looked didn't see anything. Continued for at least an other hour in hot weather. Got to Camp Site and noticed this. TPMS would not have given me any info.

So I buy quality tires and keep checking my tires for heat and visible damage every 200 miles or so. If one blows it blows and I will report it here.

As mentioned I have ZERO extra gauges on this trucks dash or A pillar like i have had on previous trucks. Really nice to simply drive the truck. It's nothing to do with the $300 or so for a monitor.

My brake lines are all inboard and should not be damaged from a blow out. If I do have any damage it will cost me $100 for deductible if it's road hazard damage. If it's the tires fault GY will pay.

Those are my reasons.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

babock
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
What the HE!! Did yโ€™all do before they had TPMS?
You drove until the tire started ripping itself apart and took out whatever else was in the wheel well. Hence the reason you take advantage of modern technology so it doesn't happen like that.

babock
Explorer
Explorer
Just picked up a razor blade on my truck tire. The TPMS warned me soon enough that I was able to pull over to a safe place to park and change the tire. Same thing can happen to a "quality" trailer tire but the problem is you won't know it without a TPMS and your tire will be in shreds possibly damaging your trailer.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have zero issue with what others do. I have given reasons on what โ€œIโ€ do.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at it this way: Do you wear a helmet on the bike? Have you ever had an accident that damaged your head? If not, why would you bother to wear a helmet?

I've ridden for 55 years and never had an accident on a street bike. I still wear a helmet, it's simply insurance. Just like a TPMS, which we did without because they hadn't been invented, just like full-face fiberglass/carbon fiber helmets. When better stuff comes along, you take advantage of it. Which is why you don't see racers wearing pudding-bowl helmets, only cruiser riders.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Words have meaning. I said what I meant. No different when I say why โ€œI donโ€™t do a pull testโ€ but I get the same response of how could you tell people not to do a pull test!

What the HE!! Did yโ€™all do before they had TPMS?

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Our previous toad had stubby rubber stems and the TST 507 sensors just touched the rim when screwed on, so there was never a problem from centrifugal force bending the stems. Our current toad came with the recommended metal stems though.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
How does me saying โ€œI buy quality tires and donโ€™t worry about itโ€ translate to me telling anyone what to do???????????

Funny how it gets so many twisted by me simply saying what I do and donโ€™t do. Not including you Larry.
But you're being specious, what you left unsaid is "Do as I do and you'll be fine". Otherwise why would you post this on a TPMS thread?

โ€œI buy quality tires and donโ€™t worry about itโ€ ergo, you buy quality tires and you won't have to worry about it either.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
How does me saying โ€œI buy quality tires and donโ€™t worry about itโ€ translate to me telling anyone what to do???????????

Funny how it gets so many twisted by me simply saying what I do and donโ€™t do. Not including you Larry.

Then what did your comment mean?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
I had the add-on TPMS that I moved from motorhome to my sedan with rubber steams.
The only issue was that centrifugal force would bend the steam to point where sensors were touching rims and rubbing the paint off.
A piece of duct tape solved that.
But if you plan to keep the wheels, I think putting TPMS inside the wheels is worth the initial cost.
I have 12 years old car with build-in TPMS and original batteries still work.

Many have found, myself included, that the weight of the sensor with eventually crack the stem resulting in a leak. I have run them both ways and strongly recommend the metal stems.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"