wondering how to tell a fair
price. TIA
11 REPLIES 11

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
sin cal hd wrote:
JAC1982 wrote:
I usually just go on RV Trader to see what trailers similar to the one I'm looking at are listed at. I've always found NADA to be way high.

For example, just last week, NADA said our low retail value was $49,000. We talked to a dealer about a trade in, they offered us $35,000. I know trade-in is always less than retail. A similar model with a smaller garage and no generator is for sale in Utah for $45,000 (that was the only thing I could find on RV Trader "nearby"), so we were expecting something closer to that. I think if we listed it for sale ourselves, we would list it at around $49,900. We owe more than that even, but I agree most people list it for what they owe on it.

Dealers will always low ball. They take a trade low and resale higher to make money off your trade. Same goes with used autos.

Wow, really? I had no idea.

Sorry, that was sarcastic. And yes, we've already traded something in before so we know the drill. We just didn't think they'd lowball us by that much.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
caver wrote:
If researching new you might have some luck using See Dealer Cost

That site listed the dealer cost higher on our last two RV purchases than what we paid for them.

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer
JAC1982 wrote:
I usually just go on RV Trader to see what trailers similar to the one I'm looking at are listed at. I've always found NADA to be way high.

For example, just last week, NADA said our low retail value was $49,000. We talked to a dealer about a trade in, they offered us $35,000. I know trade-in is always less than retail. A similar model with a smaller garage and no generator is for sale in Utah for $45,000 (that was the only thing I could find on RV Trader "nearby"), so we were expecting something closer to that. I think if we listed it for sale ourselves, we would list it at around $49,900. We owe more than that even, but I agree most people list it for what they owe on it.

Dealers will always low ball. They take a trade low and resale higher to make money off your trade. Same goes with used autos.
2015 2500 Ram Mega Cab 4x4
2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups

boondocker2012
Explorer
Explorer
thank you for the ideas!!

caver
Nomad
Nomad
If researching new you might have some luck using See Dealer Cost

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
First off I'm assuming you are taking used. The problem with NADA is it estimates based on sales, so it can vary wildly. But gives you some idea. Though many times private sellers don't care about what you've found, they are selling it based on what they owe. Going to www.pplmotorhomes.com is a good source for any RV they are a large volume dealer, a lot of consignments and trade-in's that tend to move fast. Spending sometime shopping on the various RV sites will give you an idea of what things are going or and what's not moving fast.

NADA is it estimates based on sales, 2nd that!

LIKE ~ MSRP = BS!

Side note: Check other states as well.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer

2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Y-Guy
First off I'm assuming you are taking used. The problem with NADA is it estimates based on sales, so it can vary wildly. But gives you some idea. Though many times private sellers don't care about what you've found, they are selling it based on what they owe. Going to www.pplmotorhomes.com is a good source for any RV they are a large volume dealer, a lot of consignments and trade-in's that tend to move fast. Spending sometime shopping on the various RV sites will give you an idea of what things are going or and what's not moving fast.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Yep. NADA/RV is all you got. Well, RV trader magazine will help.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

boondocker2012
Explorer
Explorer
thank you!

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer
NADA.com
2015 2500 Ram Mega Cab 4x4
2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups