Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Planning a cross country trip - questions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Planning a cross country trip - questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/20 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go for it! You should have no trouble finding sites big enough. I would plan on reservations and multi day stays for Memorial Day, Labor Day, and Independence Day weekends, however, as these weekends see unusually large campsite demands with campgrounds everywhere filling completely.

Making such a trip is a GREAT idea. As lovely as our home area is, there is nothing remotely like the Grand Canyon, or Glacier NP or Death Valley (just to name a few) anywhere near here. All of those and many more can only be appreciated by experiencing them. Seeing them in National Geographic, as nice as that might be, is the barest shadow of being there. Even more, spending some time getting to know folks from those places when you visit will broaden your education and understanding so much more than you could ever imagine.

Do that trip several times while you are still young enough and able enough to make the journey. It took me years to convince my wife it was a good idea, but now she can hardly wait to do it again, even though she’s always been a “crispy traveler.”

* This post was edited 01/11/20 09:06am by naturist *

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/20 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

YOur trailer will fit most places, although you may have to disconnect your truck sometimes. The main problems are the old USFS campgrounds that have not been upgraded. Some of those are lined with trees and awkward for larger trailers. YOu can always find an RV park.

stew47

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/20 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last summer went from Ohio to glacier park. Just used rv Parky app and stayed at some free spots and stayed at some pay spots. Wasn’t a holiday so had no trouble. Even glacier had fair amount of vacancies. Lol just be flexible. There will be things come up like mosquitos in a Corp of engineer campground in Minnesota wher they were so bad we had to leave! Just have fun.

Hokiehall

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/20 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all of you for your input. We are very flexible as far as this trip goes. It is still very early in the planning stage.

The trailer gets new tires this Spring (had a blow out last fall and rightfully caught hell from my mechanic for not changing them earlier). All financial things are already on line and most are on auto pay so that is not a problem. So we will just need to sit down and plan this thing. And it may be split into different years too, one area one year, one another.

Keep that input coming though and thanks again.

winniman

muskoka Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some people prefer to make reservations months in advance. For cross country travel, I prefer to fly by the seat of my pants. In this day and age, the iPhone makes it pretty easy to find and get campsites the day you need them. If you cancel reservations, you will probably end up having to pay for the site anyway. When long distance travelling, things can and do go wrong. If you have any troubles, and you are delayed, you will end up paying for sites you never use. You would then have to decide if you want to skip all those destinations to get back on track with your remaining reservations. If you have never been where you are going, you might find something interesting you didn't know was there, and want to stay an extra day or two. Not having reservations gives you the flexibility to change plans at whim. We have logged 30 or 40k miles, and have never had an advanced reservation. Some prefer to have the entire trip booked ahead. Others, like me, like to be able to change plans if required. We have had blown tires, transmissions, electrical issues delay us days on several trips. Weather is another factor that can delay you. You don't want to have to drive in high winds or storms, just to keep a schedule. You can even book things a few days ahead when you are assured that the destination is manageable on the timeline. Things can and do happen. Good luck and safe travels.

* This post was edited 01/12/20 08:38pm by winniman *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Planning a cross country trip - questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.