Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ultimate power inverter/charger question

Crushedstang50
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all!
I have a question for all of you more experienced than I in the RV area.
I just picked up a ultimate power 3000 watt pure sine inverter/charger (up12/3000pcul) for just a stupid cheap amount. I was researching 4 stage converter/chargers when I ran across it.
I know it is way more inverter than I need for my 30amp outback 23rs but at the price I could not pass it up with a 4 stage charger built in.
My question is... with it can't I just bypass my stock converter/charger. Wire the new inverter to the shore power line in. Then hard wire the output from the inverter/charger back to the breaker panel?
And of course my rig batteries to the 12v side of the inverter/charger.
Thanks in advance!
Derek
2007 Keystone Outback 23rs
2016 Ford F150 Platinum. Max tow, 6.5 bed, 3.5 ecoboost
19 REPLIES 19

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Crushedstang50 wrote:
with it can't I just bypass my stock converter/charger.

Yes. On my RV, it was easy to do.

Here's how I did it.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Both yes and now. First the existing converter (I gather it's part of the breaker panel) you can disable. Just turn off the breaker or lift the wire off the breaker (you may need to do a bit more work than this)

Page 2: Now the inverter should be placed NEAR (not next to but in the next compartment over) from the batteries.. With a 3KW inverter you need BIG, HEAVY cables connecting we are tralking 00 or 0000 depending on the run. And a big fuse (30000 watts is around 300 amps at 12 volts so you may need a fuse... bigger (read the owner's manual for the proper size)

But wire that big is EXPWENSIVE so make sure you keep the run short as possible.

Final bit of advice. tape the black and red 12 volt wires side by side for as much of the run as possible.

Suggest battery size. One pair of GC-2 (6 volt two in series make 12) per thousand watts.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Not removing but rather just disconnecting the OEM 120 power feed to the converter may be a better choice.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
I posted this yesterday, but people must have missed it. The pdf manual is linked in this, scroll down. Do what it says.

https://ultimatepower.com/products/inverter-chargers/pcul-series/3000w-pure-sine-inverter-charger-pc...

It does have an automatic transfer switch built in. You are better off REMOVING the old converter and hooking your 12VDC fuse panel directly to the battery bank.

From the manual
While in the Standby (charging) Mode, the AC input is continually monitored. Whenever AC power falls below the Trip voltage, the inverter automatically transfers back to the Invert Mode with minimum interruption to your appliances - as long as the inverter is turned on. The transfer from Standby mode to Inverter mode occurs in approximately 10 milliseconds. And it is the same time from Inverter mode to Standby mode.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I posted this yesterday, but people must have missed it. The pdf manual is linked in this, scroll down. Do what it says.

https://ultimatepower.com/products/inverter-chargers/pcul-series/3000w-pure-sine-inverter-charger-pc...
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Crushedstang50
Explorer
Explorer
It has a breaker on the ac output. But I should probably put another breaker on the shore power line going to the inverter. Better safe than sorry! Thanks!

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
Does the inverter/charger have a fused 120-volt input? If not you should wire it into the power center breaker panel where the converter is now connected.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

Crushedstang50
Explorer
Explorer
The storage I'm hoping won't be too big of an issue..... there is a bit of angle at the top front where I will mount it. So my hopes are it will not impede storage too bad. I won't know for sure until I grab her out of storage.

I like the idea of putting plugs on to easily swap supplies if need be.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
At times when you're not using the inverter just turn the converter back on again.
It's an inverter/charger.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Crushedstang50 wrote:
Yes my plan was to just disconnect the stock coverter/charger.

Why bother disconnecting the converter? :h Since your intention is to power your trailer "whole house" with the inverter just turn off the converter and plug your trailer's 30 amp main service cable (using a dogbone) into the inverter output - done. :B At times when you're not using the inverter just turn the converter back on again. K.I.S.S. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
10 wire is what I used. But you are simply plugging in the shore power cord to the inverter.

I ran #10 to a 30 amp female outlet in the "mouse hole". I shortened the OEM cord to 5 feet, and put on a male plug. I saved the rest of the OEM cord to make an extension for shore power use.

Crushedstang50 wrote:
If that would work how big of 120v cable do you think would be safe? To and from the inverter/charger.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You wonโ€™t need that little bit of storage space ever?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Crushedstang50 wrote:
Hello all!
My question is... with it can't I just bypass my stock converter/charger.

YES ! Just be sure that you are not back-feeding the charger from the inverter. Many (most?) charger/inverters have a built in automatic transfer switch to prevent this from happening.

Crushedstang50
Explorer
Explorer
Wonderful! Guess I have me a little project to add to the schedule!
Thank you all for the input!