cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing 5th Wheel from IL to PHX in March

TwoSyxPt2
Explorer
Explorer
Joined the forum today and making first post. We picked up our RV last April. Lots of summer driving. Zippo winter driving. Looking for route advice for towing from Central IL to Tucson, AZ. Leaving last weekend in Feb. Have driven this several times without towing taking 44 West to 40West. In New Mexico, have taken I25/Hatch Road and RT54 through Alamogordo on to I10.

'17 F350 Dually, Powerstroke
'19 Salem Hemisphere

What would you recommend?
Thanks in advance!
14 REPLIES 14

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I-55-> I-44 -> I-40 to I-35 and then down to I-20 -> I-10 is how I've done it during the winter and springtime.

I-40 can be pretty unpredictable across the Texas panhandle, and based on how little snow we've seen so far this year, I'd be nervous about what we're in for during March & April...
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
TwoSyxPt2 wrote:
JKJavelin wrote:
In 3 weeks from now we'll be heading in that direction for the 3rd year in a row from Milwaukee, but I prefer to dewinterize as soon as possible so we go south to Memphis, then head west from there. So far, that has worked well. We watch the weather and our Plan B is to keep going straight south from Memphis if we have to avoid bad weather.
JK

Thanks for the info. You mentioned you "prefer to de-winterize as soon as possible". Do you de-winterize on the way once you get far enough south?
Thanks!

Yes, we want to make full use of our rig's capabilities ASAP. That includes being warm enough to open the slides.
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

TwoSyxPt2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the info. Take aways...get south and watch the weather.
Appreciate your help.

TwoSyxPt2
Explorer
Explorer
JKJavelin wrote:
In 3 weeks from now we'll be heading in that direction for the 3rd year in a row from Milwaukee, but I prefer to dewinterize as soon as possible so we go south to Memphis, then head west from there. So far, that has worked well. We watch the weather and our Plan B is to keep going straight south from Memphis if we have to avoid bad weather.
JK

Thanks for the info. You mentioned you "prefer to de-winterize as soon as possible". Do you de-winterize on the way once you get far enough south?
Thanks!

TwoSyxPt2
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
We take I-57 to US60 East to Poplar Bluff MO, then I30 south into Texarkana. We then have various routes depending on where we are going, but NEVER go thru Houston, Dallas-Ft Worth, Austin or San Antonio. There are some toll roads so you have to pay attention to that also . When we went a couple years ago we went west in TX, then south to I-20 and S down to I-10. Every FM (Farm to Market) road and state road we have been on so far has been just fine for a rv. Speed limits on many of those roads are 70 /75 mph.

Thanks DoxieMom11. I have been looking at US60 also. Couldn't tell if that is 4 lane or 2 lane. Thanks for the info!

TwoSyxPt2
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
So are you going to PHX as your title says or Tucson? Makes a difference.

Sorry AZDryHeat. Tucson would be closer to where we will be. I figured either way, I would be coming in on I-10.

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
We took that same route as you last spring. We made a stop in Truth or Consequences NM and enjoyed the hot springs at River Bend Hot Springs. We went this way to avoid a bad snow in northern AZ. We were in a car no camper. I think that is also a good way to go to avoid mountain driving with a trailer. Weather will be the biggest factor in what route is best.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We take I-57 to US60 East to Poplar Bluff MO, then I30 south into Texarkana. We then have various routes depending on where we are going, but NEVER go thru Houston, Dallas-Ft Worth, Austin or San Antonio. There are some toll roads so you have to pay attention to that also . When we went a couple years ago we went west in TX, then south to I-20 and S down to I-10. Every FM (Farm to Market) road and state road we have been on so far has been just fine for a rv. Speed limits on many of those roads are 70 /75 mph.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Another vote for I-10 and unless you are in a time crunch, if the weather is bad, just pull in and sit it out.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
So are you going to PHX as your title says or Tucson? Makes a difference.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
the area to watch the weather forecast is from Illinois to Albuquerque. After that, pretty much clear and sunny. but even I 10 can get a snow/sleet storm between El Paso and Benson, AZ, so just pay attention to the weather news.
If you see it coming on the weather radar of your phone, stop at a rest stop or in a town, etc and let it pass over you. We ran into a heck of a sleet storm in west texas several years ago out by Van Horn. We just spent an extra day in an interstate rest stop.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
x2 drop down to I 10. much better weather.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
All depends on the weather forecast at the time. That same route may be fine. But if winter storms are forecast for OK, TX panhandle, or northern NM then you should probably head farther south to get to I-20 or even all the way down to I-10. Being weather aware should dictate your decision.