Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing 5th Wheel from IL to PHX in March
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Towing 5th Wheel from IL to PHX in March

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
TwoSyxPt2

IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

doxiemom11 wrote:

We take I-57 to US60 East to Poplar Bluff MO, then I30 south into Texarkana. We then have various routes depending on where we are going, but NEVER go thru Houston, Dallas-Ft Worth, Austin or San Antonio. There are some toll roads so you have to pay attention to that also . When we went a couple years ago we went west in TX, then south to I-20 and S down to I-10. Every FM (Farm to Market) road and state road we have been on so far has been just fine for a rv. Speed limits on many of those roads are 70 /75 mph.

Thanks DoxieMom11. I have been looking at US60 also. Couldn't tell if that is 4 lane or 2 lane. Thanks for the info!

TwoSyxPt2

IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JKJavelin wrote:

In 3 weeks from now we'll be heading in that direction for the 3rd year in a row from Milwaukee, but I prefer to dewinterize as soon as possible so we go south to Memphis, then head west from there. So far, that has worked well. We watch the weather and our Plan B is to keep going straight south from Memphis if we have to avoid bad weather.
JK

Thanks for the info. You mentioned you "prefer to de-winterize as soon as possible". Do you de-winterize on the way once you get far enough south?
Thanks!

TwoSyxPt2

IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for the info. Take aways...get south and watch the weather.
Appreciate your help.

JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/20 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TwoSyxPt2 wrote:

JKJavelin wrote:

In 3 weeks from now we'll be heading in that direction for the 3rd year in a row from Milwaukee, but I prefer to dewinterize as soon as possible so we go south to Memphis, then head west from there. So far, that has worked well. We watch the weather and our Plan B is to keep going straight south from Memphis if we have to avoid bad weather.
JK

Thanks for the info. You mentioned you "prefer to de-winterize as soon as possible". Do you de-winterize on the way once you get far enough south?
Thanks!

Yes, we want to make full use of our rig's capabilities ASAP. That includes being warm enough to open the slides.

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS--Now with Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde SRE-4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k

2017- 21 Nights
2018- 75 Nights
2019- 138 Nights
2020- 22 Nights

lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 04:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I-55-> I-44 -> I-40 to I-35 and then down to I-20 -> I-10 is how I've done it during the winter and springtime.

I-40 can be pretty unpredictable across the Texas panhandle, and based on how little snow we've seen so far this year, I'd be nervous about what we're in for during March & April...

• 2005 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C (was a three-time Jayco owner)
  • 2012 MasterTow Dolly pulling a 2003 Jeep Liberty (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango, Honda Odyssey...)
  • Onan Microquiet 4000, plus 130W solar and Honda EU2000i twins for backup

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Towing 5th Wheel from IL to PHX in March
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.