cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Deciding on Battery Replacement

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, my question is: What are the best way(s) to tell if an AGM battery has lost enough of its capacity that it should be replaced?

(And if it's anything complicated I will probably need advice on how to do it.)

Thanks for your help.

(I should add that this is a group of 54 amp-hour CD Technologies Hi-Rate Max batteries that I have been using in parallel in the RV. I took them out and right now I have them in my house charging.)
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO
15 REPLIES 15

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Son of Norway wrote:
They date from 2010 and 2011.
It's time.

I agree with this. If you have no diagnostic tools/skills and your battery bank won't power your system (from a known full charge) for more than a day, (or night) it's most likely time. At +-9-10 years of age, IMO, you have gotten your moneys worth, and a little more.

Chum lee

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
IMHO, you would be better off with a pair of 6V AGM golf cart batteries, like Trojan T105-AGM. Over 35% more stored power. Not cheap. You would have to order them through a golf cart distributor or solar power store.

Not cheap is an understatement.

River-Runner
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought 4 Trojan T-105 AGM's from this www.onlinebatterysale.com source for a really good price. They were bought in December '19 and made in November '19.

They have automotive parts warehouses around the country where you pick them up. They had a Portland location, so worked well for me. Golf cart distributors/suppliers were much more expensive.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry, missed the age of them. Yeah, it is time for replacement. Get whatever will fit in battery compartment. My preference is a single batter. Fewer connections to potentially give problems. A 4D will give close to the amperage of 2 6Vs. An 8D, if there is room, more.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO, you would be better off with a pair of 6V AGM golf cart batteries, like Trojan T105-AGM. Over 35% more stored power. Not cheap. You would have to order them through a golf cart distributor or solar power store.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
How old are your AGMs?
Son of Norway wrote:
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get one of these. https://www.amazon.com/OTC-3180-Battery-Load-Tester/dp/B000F5HU6C/ref=sr_1_11?crid=UXILT2AA3Z&keywords=battery+tester+automotive&qid=1578837992&sprefix=battery+test%2Caps%2C208&sr=8-11 Well worth th money.

How old are your AGMs? My last one, a 4D 215AH Lifeline, had a service life of 9 years.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
If voltage is dropping to where you are not sure if the furnace can go all night.... time for new batteries.

The simplest solution always seems to work the best.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
For balancing an odd number of jars only method #3 works.

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

But the existing batteries have served their time--I would replace.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Son of Norway wrote:
It's time.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
They are the UPS12-210MR. Three batteries. They were pretty well balanced intially, but now they are within about 2/10ths of a volt. They date from 2010 and 2011. On our trip in November the resting voltage of the group was about 12.8 volts.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If voltage is dropping to where you are not sure if the furnace can go all night.... time for new batteries.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Were they wired in a balanced manner? How many are there?

Are your batteries on this page?

https://www.batterysharks.com/C-D-Technologies-s/1225.htm?gclid=Cj0KCQiAgebwBRDnARIsAE3eZjTl3PcFFDdm...

Son of Norway wrote:
Hello all, my question is: What are the best way(s) to tell if an AGM battery has lost enough of its capacity that it should be replaced? Hi

(And if it's anything complicated I will probably need advice on how to do it.)

Thanks for your help.

(I should add that this is a group of 54 amp-hour CD Technologies Hi-Rate Max batteries that I have been using in parallel in the RV. I took them out and right now I have them in my house charging.)
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://batteryboss.org/shop/ups12-210mr-cd-vrla-battery/

The 20 hr rate on a 54 AH battery is 2.7 amps. So a full battery ought to be at 50% SOC after 10 hours at 2.7 amps.

So do them one at a time (in case some are good and others not so good while in your parallel bank)

Find the voltage vs SOC table for those AGMs. EG, mine are 13v full and 12.4v at 50%. YMMV so find the right numbers.

Charge each one to full, run a 3 amp load such as a typical RV two bulb lamp and check its voltage after 5 hours. (Disconnect the load and wait half an hour for the voltage to bounce back.) If the battery is as new, it should be about 75% SOC.

If it is lower than that, you know the battery is not like new. Keep going, spot checking each hour from now on. Say it gets to your 50% voltage at 7 hours.

That means your battery is only 70% good as new. 8 hours is 80% and so on.

Now it is up to you how much capacity remaining is enough.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.