cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need Audio advice for my build

nicpaige
Explorer
Explorer
Im looking for suggestions for my audio system inside my 26' enclosed trailer/toy hauler conversion.
I will be travelling to both boon-docking and full hookup campsites. I will require a dvd/br player, bluetooth and android capable smart receiver either compact size maybe even a car touchscreen deck and amp Powered or passive small bookshelf or mini satellite speakers.

Any suggestions on systems or components? I will be without internet or cell service maybe 20% of the time.
5 REPLIES 5

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
nicpaige wrote:
Im looking for suggestions for my audio system inside my 26' enclosed trailer/toy hauler conversion.
I will be travelling to both boon-docking and full hookup campsites. I will require a dvd/br player, bluetooth and android capable smart receiver either compact size maybe even a car touchscreen deck and amp Powered or passive small bookshelf or mini satellite speakers.

Any suggestions on systems or components? I will be without internet or cell service maybe 20% of the time.

There is no "one" system that can do what you are asking.

Figure out your priorities of what you want the system to do.

For instance, BT capable as what? BT to remote speakers? BT INPUT as in audio from a phone into the home theater system?

I personally prefer hardwiring speakers, just works and none of the BT connect/disconnect issues. Wiring speakers is easy and you can often find creative ways to get the speaker wires to the speakers without a lot of trouble or loose unsightly wires if you look round inside of cabinets or even some strategic wood trim installed to cover the wires.

Car audio is OK up to a certain point, then you run into a lot of limitations, for instance car audio systems do not have multi channel surround sound capability, they do often have a subwoofer output which will need a separate amp, they do not have HD video output so your TV is only going to get SD 480i video from a BR disc.

If home theater is what you are after, then go with a 120V home stereo receiver with surround sound and amps built in and hardwire the speakers. You will need to buy a separate BR/DVD player since home theater in the box systems with built in DVD players are not the rage any more and often the built in DVD player would fail before the rest of the system.

HDMI cable from the BR/DVD player to the theater receiver then HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV and you are done. HDMI carries HD video and the audio in one small cable. Makes for a very neat, clean hookup.

Of course while boondocking you will need a 12 to 120V inverter, those are plentiful and not all that expensive now days. Besides you will find having 120V from your batteries while boondocking rather nice to have.

nicpaige
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't seen any brains in Best Buy for a decade.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
I would go into a Car Toys and/or Best Buy, or other place that sells and look at items and pick their brains.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I rarely use my OEM RV DVD/stereo deck. I installed a Sony BT sound bar with a wireless sub. I also use a Sony Bray player. My phone is a Droid. I also have an inverter. My TV is OEM 12V so no need to use 120V for it.
We boondock more than we camp at elec hookup sites.
I'm using 4-6V GC batteries along with 400W os solar. With good sun and moderate TV and soundbar usage I don't see much of a drain'
Our setup is great for the most part. We don't make a habit of doing a lot of TV along with the soundbar when boondocking so battery drains not really an issue. If I need to I can still tap into my OEM stereo for some cheap speaker sound.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Sadly, most of the RV specific components are junk. Lots of car audio stuff, but the pricing is not that great and probably over powered for what you want. This of course leads to the large selection of residential, 120VAC equipment. If it has a "wall wart" power supply, you can buy moderately price DC-DC converters and then run everything off of 12V.

If this is a "build from scratch" or major (new walls) remodel it is time to run more 12VDC power lines through all of the walls. Use 18AWG Marine Grade tinned copper, duplex cable and 2 port USB outlet charger

USB Type C with USB Power Delivery (USB PD) is just rolling out. USB PB is capable of delivering 5V/9V/12V/15V or 20V @ 3A to compatible devices There are also inexpensive converter that will allow you to get anything in-between.