cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

EPass Extra thoughts

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone on here have info on the EPass that one can buy in Florida and use in other states? This would be for a pick up and travel trailer. As of yet, no real routes planned, but traveling through Florida is much better on the toll road.
I know the pass is useable in 18 states, and am interested in how much a RV adventure would use this option if one traveled Pennsylvania, etc.
Also, what are some examples on rates to use the toll roads in a RV?
Thanks
13 REPLIES 13

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
I recently got the Epass Extra and used it on a Christmas trip from Florida to New Jersey. I replaced my Sunpass with it. It worked great; no issues at all. Well worth the change.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
It's generally worth your time to compare the various fees and policies; some charge monthly or annual fees, maybe only under some circumstances, and/or offer special discount programs in their states, and they also vary somewhat in how or what balance they require one to carry in the account, how and whether they charge for transponders, and other such details.

Totally agree. Not every member charges the exact same fees or offer the same payment options and methods.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Go to one of the EZ-Pass Group member states/organizations and order their pass. It's generally worth your time to compare the various fees and policies; some charge monthly or annual fees, maybe only under some circumstances, and/or offer special discount programs in their states, and they also vary somewhat in how or what balance they require one to carry in the account, how and whether they charge for transponders, and other such details.

For one example, if you have a motorhome (but not an RV trailer) and will be in New York state much, the Thruway Motorhome Discount plan can save you a decent amount of money as it cuts the tolls roughly in half, from the "tall" vehicle rate to the "low" vehicle rate.

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
DFord wrote:
Use the link provided and place your order through it.

https://www.cfxway.com/e-pass-xtra/

Thanks for the link, but I only need the E-ZPass without the XTRA.

I should have said that my travel is limited to the midwest and the northeast.

So any info on how I can get just the E-ZPass?
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Use the link provided and place your order through it.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
Living in Washington and planned a trip to the East later this year. Where would I buy an E-ZPass? Do I just pick any state that sells them and buy one online from that state's E-ZPass website?
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks to all.
After we have a better idea of where our journey goes, we'll probably buy an Extra pass for one vehicle.
Being from the YeeHaw wild west, our "Pass" means more like "Passable or imPassable." You know; tipped over tater trucks, folks that can't fathom snow driving, things like that.
Looking forward to seeing more of the U.S. this year. Thanks again.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
EZpass and the new Epass Extra are 2 different things. There is no EZpass Extra. EZpass and Epass. Epass Extra will work in 18 eastern states including the OP's state of PA. Epass Extra will work in any EZpass state. Epass Extra works all over Florida. No need for Sunpass or anything else.

The Epass Extra is Velcro mounted for easy removal. You register Truck and trailer plates. You register MH and toad. You place the transponder in the toad if you wanna drive it.

If your hauling a motorcycle trailer and want to drive the motorcycle when you get someplace then you call and tell them you put in on the bike. In you pocket it fine. When you load the bike you take it off and call them back and tell the where it is.

Cost is $20.00 for the movable transponder. Free if you only have one vehicle and don't need to move it. You sign up for automatic $$ replenishment with a $10 min bal. No monthly service charges.

Pay by Plate charges are much higher than Transponder payments. MA Pike has no toll booths. It either Pay by Plate or transponder.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
I have a damaged windshield and want to replace it. What of the sun pass is it transferable to the new windshield as it is stuck to the old windshield.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
From my understanding:

EPass works the same as the SunPass just from a different agency

EPass Extra is essentially a SunPass and EZ Pass combined.

SunPass is same as a EPass but issued by the state.

E-Z Pass can be used on CFX roads in Florida plus all EZ Pass states.

If you want the benefit of the EZ Pass plus the ability to use it where the SunPass is accepted, the EPass Extra is the way to go.

There is talk that EZ-Pass is the system many other states are considering when incorporating other systems into their own. I can see the day where EZ_Pass will be accepted in most if not all states. CA and TX have been studying the ability to accept E_Z Pass within their systems.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Florida's SunPass: https://www.sunpass.com/en/about/program.shtml
Florida's SunPass wrote:
SunPass transponders also work in Georgia and North Carolina with more states coming soon.

$20 to buy the transponder or $4 to buy a barcode sticker. Buy them online or at many retailers around Florida. Charge your card with your credit card and opt to have them draw more as your balance drops.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
From experience in Florida, our EZ Pass does not work for the Florida toll roads. Florida has their own, "Sun Pass", which is unique to Florida and doesn't work on other toll roads such as WVA turnpike, Ohio TP or PA turnpike, unless something has recently changed.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Do you mean "E-ZPass" rather than "EPass"? The battery less CFX EPass does not work in most E-ZPass states, but the battery powered E-ZPass works in all 18 member states including the CFX roads in Florida. The member states have various ways of calculating tolls, but many use the total axle count as the determining factor. Rates also vary by state, so it's difficult to accurately post examples that would be meaningful to you. We use our E-ZPass mostly in the Northeast, and have never needed it in Florida.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate