cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B&W pivot arm adjustment

Hedgehog
Explorer
Explorer
So I purchased the B&W RVK3305 for the ford puck system on my 2019 F-450 and wanted advise on the pivot arm placement. I understand the height and bed rail clearance but I have the option of the kingpin 3” in front of the axle or 1” in front of the axle. I was wondering how much difference it would make between the two. I was thinking about doing the 1” in front of the axle to gain 2” of clearance between the front of my fifth wheel and the tailgate when it is open. Where I had my previous slider on my shortbed, having the hitch in the rear position gave me way more room between the tailgate and fifth wheel. Any input is appreciated
10 REPLIES 10

wvcampers
Explorer
Explorer
You can change the position by rotating the base of the hitch 180*. There is no need to mess with the bolts on the hitch except for the labels that can be seen. So you can try it both ways without touching a wrench.
2017 F350 6.7 CC Lariat DRW
2018 Cardinal Luxury Edition 3250 RLX

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
I run mine set to the rear. I'm not sure what the effect is on the front axle weight, but it does not feel light. With a long bed, double cab truck I doubt that it offsets the weight of the diesel engine.
With the GM puck mounts reversing the base in the mounts will set the arms either forward or rearward, the Ford looks to be the same. Try it, I doubt it will drive any different which ever way are arms set.
What you will gain is clearance with the tailgate down, and a little more angle before hitting the overhang with the bed corners.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
With the long bed, full forward would likely tow best. However, I would be happy with one inch forward, if you would rather have the extra gate to camper space. The arms aren't hard to move, so I'd try it both ways at some point. I doubt you'll notice much difference.

What you will notice is that hitch!! You will soon be telling others of the reliability and ease of use.

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
You can't go wrong with the B&W.

U gots dat right!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can't go wrong with the B&W.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Hedgehog
Explorer
Explorer
Totally agree, I’m sure either way, going from a gas powered srw 1 ton to a diesel power F-450, my towing experience is gonna be night and day. I could have kept my Reese elite slider from my last truck but I really wanted to go with the b&w

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
More weight on the front axle the better.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Hedgehog
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins 12v98, so looking at the b& w instructions for your ram, your hitch is 2” in front of the axle. So that is right in between the two settings I have to choose from. I will put it together tomorrow and see my clearances with the trailer before I torque everything down. I would rather have my kingpin in the 3” forward position but like I said, I’m concerned with tailgate to camper clearance with tailgate down. You can’t always be perfectly straight with your trailer when your hitching up.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Place the two head support brackets that the head sets on FULL forward with the straight edges towards the cab. Adjust height to give at least 6" bed clearance.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
A couple inches will make minimal difference. IMO as long as the pin is forward of the rear axle it's good. A couple inches isn't going to affect the handling of the truck/trailer at all. IMO of course.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"