cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitch Question

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
We are downsizing from a 5th wheel to a small TT. We just purchased a 2104S Rockwood. The length is 22'4", the Unloaded Vehicle Weight is 4841 and the Base Axle Weight is 4168. What is your recommendation for a hitch. Our Chevy Duramax Silverado has a receiver. Would you recommend an equilizer hitch? Which one? We do want stabilizer bars. Thanks for all your help!!
3 REPLIES 3

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
As bikendan said many of the newer weight distribution hitches have sway control built in. The other alternative is a weight distribution hitch and an add on sway bar which many people have.

An equalizer is both a brand name and a generic name for a type of hitch. Kind of like many people say Xerox instead of copy. Equal-i-zer is the brand name hitch, equalizer is a generic term for a weight distribution hitch.

In my opinion you should have weight distribution with integrated sway control. I have an Equal-i-zer hitch and I like it. But it is quite heavy, greasy, and noisy in use. My friend has an Andersen hitch on his smaller trailer and I like the way it looks. It's a lot lighter and cleaner than an Equal-i-zer. If I ever get a smaller trailer I would probably try an Andersen on it.

The thing about sway control is it's kind of like insurance or seat belts. It's always there in the background, but it does nothing until that Uh Oh moment when you need it. And then you'll be glad you had it.

Andersen link
Equal-i-zer link
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you! When my husband asks me to post a question that I (obviously) know nothing about I end up posting it so wrong. Thanks for clearing this up for me. Your answer was a lot of help.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Reader1 wrote:
We are downsizing from a 5th wheel to a small TT. We just purchased a 2104S Rockwood. The length is 22'4", the Unloaded Vehicle Weight is 4841 and the Base Axle Weight is 4168. What is your recommendation for a hitch. Our Chevy Duramax Silverado has a receiver. Would you recommend an equilizer hitch? Which one? We do want stabilizer bars. Thanks for all your help!!

Equal-i-zer is a brand of a WDH, which I have and recommend.
You're asking for recommendations for a WDH(weight distribution hitch).
There are lots of well loved makes, Reese/Blue Ox/Andersen to name a few.
Modern WDHs, like the 4pt Equal-i-zer, have integrated sway control, which are much better than old tech add-on friction sway bars.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes