cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Prepping RV for private sale

A_Miel
Explorer
Explorer
Hello friends! I'm looking for counsel as I prepare my RV for sale. I've decided to sell it on my own (rather than consignment), with the help of son-in-law and daughter. It has some things needing fixing.

#1 (Most important) The bedroom closet slideout has leaked since I got it new. (Dealership sent out a repairman who did not fix it properly and dealership refused to do anymore.) Subsequently that area has been tarped for 2 years. I called manufacturer and since its past warranty they will not help. My thoughts are: Buy and install a slide topper before selling, OR leave as is and with full disclosure, deduct maybe $500 from asking price. Your thoughts?
(I don't believe there is any water damage. I had another RV guy look at it and we did some checking.)

#2 I broke the rooftop ladder trying to force it to fold up. One joint is snapped and I have duct tape snugly wrapped around it which works fine but again, should I sell it as is with provision in the price for a new ladder, or should I order and install a new one.

#3 Is it a good idea to pay for a licensed RV repairman to come out and test all systems and print out a report to have ready to show potential buyers? This way they can have a measure of confidence that everything is disclosed.

I have been very pleased with this RV - been living it in off/on for 2 years. Very nice layout. REALLY appreciate good advice. Thanks!
21 REPLIES 21

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
A.Miel wrote:
Thank you! I appreciate hearing a good news story for once ๐Ÿ™‚ When I looked at the same model/make/year (Winnebago) a few months ago, they were listed for anywhere between $21K and $34K. Now there are none listed so I suppose they have been sold. I am willing to sell at the lower end. Its funny how this post has become like "telephone" with so many "assuming" there is water damage. There is absolutely no sign, It is warm, bright, dry, clean, sturdy and very attractive. Good air. Everyone who comes in loves it and people want to stay. I guess it is human nature to assume the worst and an indicator that water damage is the #1 fear for buyers. Now I know that my job will be to be sure both the ladder and seal are fixed and of course full disclosure of the tarp use.

You can bet your shorts and socks, that you're going to lose, that they did not sell for what they were listed for.

We traded in a 2014 Grand Design 5th wheel last year that had an MSRP of $58K early in 2015, we paid $41K then. There are over 20 of the same model on RVTrader right now with an advertised price more than we paid 6 years ago lol. But then again suckers abound and you may luck out and find one.

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
AS others have mentioned, NADA prices are all over the place. Either way high or stupid low.

Look at what $$$ other similar units are selling for.

Damage? Fix it. Otherwise it will turn buyers off.
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

A_Miel
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you! I appreciate hearing a good news story for once ๐Ÿ™‚ When I looked at the same model/make/year (Winnebago) a few months ago, they were listed for anywhere between $21K and $34K. Now there are none listed so I suppose they have been sold. I am willing to sell at the lower end. Its funny how this post has become like "telephone" with so many "assuming" there is water damage. There is absolutely no sign, It is warm, bright, dry, clean, sturdy and very attractive. Good air. Everyone who comes in loves it and people want to stay. I guess it is human nature to assume the worst and an indicator that water damage is the #1 fear for buyers. Now I know that my job will be to be sure both the ladder and seal are fixed and of course full disclosure of the tarp use.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
A.Miel wrote:
Thanks all. I will most likely get the slide topper and replace the ladder and yes, full disclosure. But here's a question - for those of you who have bought and sold: assuming the RV is in very good shape, clean, empty, attractive, etc.and it goes on the market at the right time of year, are the NADA value listings a fairly reasonable guide for what one can expect to sell at?

My experience is no. Better to check the ads and see what the marketplace is doing. I asked $21k for a travel trailer, NADA said it was worth less than $9k. Had a potential buyer that offered me $9k and got indignant when I declined. Sold the trailer an hour later, sight unseen, for full price which was fair.

I don't know how NADA arrived at that value, maybe a depreciation formula. The existing market is a better indicator.

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
You don't state what kind of rv you have, other than its a fifth wheel. You are better off repairing anything that needs repaired. Most people are not handy, and will pass up your rv for one that is in ready to use condition. Most people don't understand how much things cost to fix, so they will think the worst. Being three years old, you can assume it lost 30 to 40 percent off what you paid as soon as it left the lot. Add in 5 to 6 percent for each year after that, you are approaching the 50 to 60 percent range of what you paid. The fact that you got 40 percent off msrp means nothing, as everyone basically gets that. Selling an almost new rv can be very depressing. People think they can get most of their money back, but in reality, no one will pay anywhere close to the price of a new one with full warrantee. Good luck, and hope you get what you want. Cheers.

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on that there are too many ones for sale that do not have Leaks and YES you will take it in the shorts trying to sell it I tried to sell and trade in my 2015 Fully loaded Montana in Great condition and was shocked at what little I could get for it so I just kept it
Tyler0215 wrote:
Water leak, broken ladder. I'd take one look and run away.
A slide topper is not a repair for a water leak.
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the water damage, I would disclose but I would also fix and show the where and why and show what was done for the fix.

If you're straight up it should not be an issue as long as it's fixed, if you really needed a tarp to keep dry it will probably come back to bite you if you don't.

Fix the ladder but leave the inspection to the buyer, we have a list that we go through to check everything out before hand as most should.
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
A.Miel wrote:
Hello friends! I'm looking for counsel as I prepare my RV for sale. I've decided to sell it on my own (rather than consignment), with the help of son-in-law and daughter. It has some things needing fixing.

#1 (Most important) The bedroom closet slideout has leaked since I got it new. (Dealership sent out a repairman who did not fix it properly and dealership refused to do anymore.) Subsequently that area has been tarped for 2 years. I called manufacturer and since its past warranty they will not help. My thoughts are: Buy and install a slide topper before selling, OR leave as is and with full disclosure, deduct maybe $500 from asking price. Your thoughts?
(I don't believe there is any water damage. I had another RV guy look at it and we did some checking.)

#2 I broke the rooftop ladder trying to force it to fold up. One joint is snapped and I have duct tape snugly wrapped around it which works fine but again, should I sell it as is with provision in the price for a new ladder, or should I order and install a new one.

#3 Is it a good idea to pay for a licensed RV repairman to come out and test all systems and print out a report to have ready to show potential buyers? This way they can have a measure of confidence that everything is disclosed.

I have been very pleased with this RV - been living it in off/on for 2 years. Very nice layout. REALLY appreciate good advice. Thanks!

1. Will a slide topper stop the leak? If not, why go to the expense of installing one? Disclose the issue and let a buyer decide. Deduction will be a lot more than $500, IMO, even if you put a topper on it.

2. Relatively cheap fix. Fix it.

3. I wouldn't pay to have an inspector look at it. Let the buyer do so, if they wish.

As for pricing, check to see if any near-identical rigs are listed and, if you can find it, what they may have sold for. Use that as your pricing guide. Do NOT use a dealer price!

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Water leak, broken ladder. I'd take one look and run away.
A slide topper is not a repair for a water leak.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
yep, let google find some like yours and go from there.

When i sold, that NADA price was in the ozone layer.

I don't know what the deal was but at that time NADA was way above reality.

Oh an BTW, If I was to open the door and smell any dampness, mold, etc, I would not go any further.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Walaby wrote:
I know alot of people will not disclose the flaws, and just figure if the buyer doesn't notice, it's their fault.

Disclosing flaws you are aware of...certainly.
Paying someone to try and find flaws you were unaware of...no thanks.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
get a fairly good idea by looking at what others are selling their trailer for on rvtrader.com

i do like the word 'our counsel' We sound like we know what we are doing.

good luck
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
my opinion,no look in trader on line and the computer for what your rv has been selling for, years back nada was a good thing, they must not update very often. and if I see water marks I run.

A_Miel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. I will most likely get the slide topper and replace the ladder and yes, full disclosure. But here's a question - for those of you who have bought and sold: assuming the RV is in very good shape, clean, empty, attractive, etc.and it goes on the market at the right time of year, are the NADA value listings a fairly reasonable guide for what one can expect to sell at?