cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Must see in Maine?

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
We are starting to plan 2020 trips and Maine is on list. My wife and I visited Acadia close to 20years ago and talk ever since about a trip back. Thinking to break trip up with few days on Deer island and a few in Moosehead lake region but not certain. Would be traveling in Class C with 2 teens, 2 small dogs.
All suggestions helpful on must see, do, campgrounds, etc
20 REPLIES 20

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
On your way up the coast, don't forget the Booth Bay Harbor area. The Shore Hills Campground is an excellent camp. Big rig friendly and there are sites right along side the Black River. Lots to do with the Boothbay Railway Village across the road, lots of small shops along the way to Boothbay Harbor village which is still a "the way it used to be" place to visit.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

GaryInMaine
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what type of camping you like, but this is a good place to start.

CampMaine

BTW someone suggested Baxter State Park. It is one of Maines best, but they do not allow dogs and possibly your Class C because of it's width.
2013 Wildcat Sterling Edition

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I guess part of the let down, was that it was pretty much the same scenery we had just spent all the time in the Atlantic provinces seeing.

There truly isn't much difference. Your comment reminds me of the first time we took my son into Canada (New Brunswick). In his head he must have had a picture of something exotic. His observation? "It looks just like Maine!"

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
winniman wrote:
Crowe wrote:
bar harbor after the 'season' is worth a trip.

We like Bar Harbor any season. Logistically the summer can be challenging but if you stay at any of the campgrounds along Rt. 3 you can take the shuttle into town so you don't have to deal with parking. Eat at non-peak times if you eat out or make a reservation. IMHO the crowds are just part of the vibe that makes it so much fun. The down side is Acadia gets VERY crowded and that can make for a miserable experience. Mid-week is better than weekends and if you can travel in the off-season it is better but some things do shut down. The season up there is getting longer, though-many places are starting to stay open through October.

Maybe because we had spent so much time in Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick, that Maine just seemed kind of a let down.

The Bay of Fundy is a phenomenal place. I highly recommend it to anyone. I've never felt "let down" returning to Maine possibly because it's been a "go to" place for us for years for weekends, vacations and day trips. A lot of "let down" is based on expectations that aren't met. We go and know exactly what to expect and often are met with unexpected surprises. I love Nova Scotia and PEI but find both of them can be a little bit boring. The scenery is beautiful but after a while it's just scenery.

I guess part of the let down, was that it was pretty much the same scenery we had just spent all the time in the Atlantic provinces seeing. As stated, it just didn't have the high tides.

I think I know where you're coming from, my kids and niece were very underwhelmed by Badlands, I thought they were amazing but after 5k miles and 3 would of national parks they were just fatigued and overstimulated.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:

We like Bar Harbor any season. Logistically the summer can be challenging but if you stay at any of the campgrounds along Rt. 3 you can take the shuttle into town so you don't have to deal with parking. Eat at non-peak times if you eat out or make a reservation. IMHO the crowds are just part of the vibe that makes it so much fun. The down side is Acadia gets VERY crowded and that can make for a miserable experience. Mid-week is better than weekends and if you can travel in the off-season it is better but some things do shut down. The season up there is getting longer, though-many places are starting to stay open through October.

Maybe because we had spent so much time in Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick, that Maine just seemed kind of a let down.

The Bay of Fundy is a phenomenal place. I highly recommend it to anyone. I've never felt "let down" returning to Maine possibly because it's been a "go to" place for us for years for weekends, vacations and day trips. A lot of "let down" is based on expectations that aren't met. We go and know exactly what to expect and often are met with unexpected surprises. I love Nova Scotia and PEI but find both of them can be a little bit boring. The scenery is beautiful but after a while it's just scenery.

I guess part of the let down, was that it was pretty much the same scenery we had just spent all the time in the Atlantic provinces seeing. As stated, it just didn't have the high tides.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
After spending almost two months in the Atlantic provinces, we thought we would return to Ontario through Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont. Although Acadia NP was interesting, Bar Harbour was kind of a let down. It was so busy, you couldn't find a place to park. It was people herded in like sheep. I realize some may not want to leave the country for various reasons, but the high tides of the Bay of Fundy are a force of nature. Maybe because we had spent so much time in Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick, that Maine just seemed kind of a let down. It was like places on the Bay of Fundy, just without the high tides. Maine was very scenic, but if you have the time, carry on to the Bay of Fundy, especially at the ends of the bays. The natural marvels of the high tides are something to see. Daily averages are 40 to 50 feet. The highest recorded was 73 feet at Burntcoat Head, Nova Scotia.

esyers
Explorer
Explorer
Bath Iron Works

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer

kennebunkport Maine.....Red Apple Campground is nice.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
The top of Mt. Desert in the first spot that the sunlight touches in the USA each morning. You can be one of the first people in the US to see the sun come over the horizon. But there will be a crowd usually if the weather is decent.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Lubec is the easternmost spot in the US that you can drive to. Nice flag to add to your travel history. Be sure and visit the lighthouse.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
Head up to the town of Lubec, then cross over to Campobello Island. The Roosevelt homestead is fascinating. The drive up the coast is beautiful and not crowded as many folks jam into Bar Harbor and go no farther north.

This precisely why we skipped Bar Harbor.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Bar Harbor-sailing, shopping, whale watching, restaurants
Schoodic Peninsula
Acadia
Desert of Maine
Freeport-LL Bean flagship store plus outlet shopping (if you are into that)
Ogunquit/Wells/York area-beautiful beaches (but cold water), water parks, Nubble Lighthouse
Kennebunkport-shops, restaurants, Bush compound
Portland-sailing, shopping, whale watching, restaurants
Baxter State Park-canoe, kayak, hike

Bar Harbor KOA-pricey but beautiful locations. Sites are cozy. Incredible sunsets, lobster banks, pancake breakfasts

Douglas Adams

moebedick
Explorer
Explorer
Schoodic Peninsula just above Bar Harbor. Great NP campground (make reservations NOW). Much less expensive and less crowded than Acadia and Bar Harbor and,in my opinion,much more beautiful. Maine the way it should be. Visit Portland (park at north end of main drag-Commercial St?). Great walking town. Many shops and restaurants. Twin lights in Cape Elizabeth,Freeport,Kittery. Basically,all of Maine.