cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

full timing

shannon62
Explorer
Explorer
we are planning on full timing in near future & would like to know where we can repair or do maintenance our self on our rv? we were told some flying j`s will let you do repairs. any sejections? thank you.
11 REPLIES 11

aidwilli
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced all 8 fuel injectors in the truck last year around Christmas time while boondocking in Santa Fe National Forest. We constantly are working on the truck and camper. Big parking lots, auto parts stores, forests, gas stations, side of the road. All over USA.
1996 F350 DRW 4x2 CCLB 7.3l 5spd Power Stroke Diesel
Air Lift air bags, 2x swaybars, 4x rancho 9000, happijac tie downs
1999 Lance 1130 Rebuilt 2018 w/ 500W solar

KAYPAY
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
I've done oil changes in a NAPA parking lot with the store manager's permission. The oil and filter were bought there of course. They even accepted the used oil for recycling.

great info thanks
Diane and Keith
2004 Roadtrek P190

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Most commercial campgrounds in our experince allow mobile RV techs, and usually have good recommendations. Most federal, state and city/ county parks will also not have a problem with a mobile RV tech doing work. Last week, a park told me that I could have a mobile tech replace the fan motor in my AC, but could not do the work myself. Guess they want to make sure it is done quickly, without any obvious things taken apart over night. But I won't go back there, so I can't be sure.

I do my resealing and external checks all the time. Never had anyone say anything. I even repack the trailer bearings twice a year. But I have the tools and jacks, and can do both sides of the trailer in less than 30 minutes.

A bigger issue for us seems to be restrictions on washing the trailer, and truck.

I've found mobile techs are superior to taking the rig in for service or repairs. Simply because they don't get paid until the job is done. So they don't take something apart and want you to wait without access to the rig for weeks.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have done minor repairs at campgrounds and rv parks, never had any major to do. Most of the time they don't even know what you are doing. Oil changes also. Just don't make a big production of it. We have even washed our rig with no problem. There are parks that allow you to, or charge a minimal fee for the water usage.

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
What type of rig and are you talking about maintenance on house or chassis? For house problems, their are mobile RV techs (and also for some chassis problems) that some RV Parks will allow to come and work on guests rigs.

We don't do maintenance, we worked long and hard to be able to enjoy our retirement and that does not include a 6 gal oil change, etc. For morothomes, most places that do maintenance work/reparis have a place for you to stop for the night, often with power and sometimes water. They take the rig in the morning, push it out in the evening. We spent 6 weeks at the Coach Care facility in Elkhardt, IN, waiting on parts to get our rig fixed. Did lots of sightseeing during the days, laundry, shopping, etc.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
too open of a question.

if you are handy you can do many things right at the rv park. Just keep learning on how to do many of the minor repairs yourself.

major repairs....well, you will have to find a repair shop. Most RV campgrounds have a list of repair shops.

The biggest problem you will run into, at times, will be getting into a shop and then ordering parts that you need. Weeks could turn into many weeks.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Define maintenance?
- Something major, messy or that looks like the clampets...they won't want you doing it because it looks bad to the other customers, could leave a mess and worst case, may make you immobile for a significant period of time when they have that site reserved for a future guest.
- Minor stuff (say replacing a cracked brake light lens), they likely won't take issue.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I've done oil changes in a NAPA parking lot with the store manager's permission. The oil and filter were bought there of course. They even accepted the used oil for recycling.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
It depends upon the repairs. Oil changes and similar are generally discouraged due to the high probability that you will leave oil residue behind. Emergency repairs are looked upon as an unwelcome, but necessary, evil. Repairs at any big truck stop is likely going to be discouraged on the assumption that you are creating a pretty high liability for a business required to keep things safe and control ALL oil and fuel spill within EPA standards.
If you have to change a tire that can likely be done anywhere. If you are planning to overhaul your engine it likely cannot.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Landowners that want you changing your oil and repairing your rig on their property are few a far between and for good reason. Budget to pay for maintenance and repairs.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I don't full time but have done repairs in a campground, with permission. Service has been done in relatives driveways when we have been away a long time.