Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 2018 RAM 2500 with Adventurer 910DB
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2018 RAM 2500 with Adventurer 910DB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
Wy4x4

Star Valley WY

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking into the purchase of the 910DB from Adventurer. This model suits our needs down to a T, has all the features we are looking for. But will our truck handle it? We have a 2018 RAM 2500 crew cab long bed with the Cummins engine and 6 speed manual transmission. Never owned a slide in truck camper before, looking for advice. The dry weight as advertised on the website is 3373 LBS, and most websites list an estimated wet weight of 4400 LBS. Google says the 2018 RAM 2500 payload is 1,466 to 3,497 lbs.

We like the 910DB for it's electric bunk option over the dinette, 4 season rating, king size bed, ample storage, and dry bath. I have not found any other truck campers with all those options and a single slide.

Thanks!

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/20 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO - NO! Dry weight of 3373 and that is without any options such as battery, AC, etc. Add water and necessities and you will be looking at a camper weighing over 4500# when ready for a trip. I wouldn't even try to carry that on my 3500 SRW.

You will need to stay with a very light camper, preferably non-basement. First your diesel eats up a lot of payload. Second is you have coil springs which is a double strike because it has coil springs AND they are mounted inside the frame rails. Neither of which work well for carrying a high COG item like a truck camper.

What would be a better thing to do is upgrade to a DRW 35000 and then get the 910DB if that is the camper you think suits you.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/20 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Won't work. I own a `18 Ram 2500 CTD and there's no way that would be either safe nor advisable. You are in DRW truck capabilities for sure if you nearing 4500 lbs. It is what it is.

Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a link to Adventurer truck campers buyers guide with estimated weights loaded ready to camp.

Adventurer truck camper wet weights

Good luck on your search for a truck camper..

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

Wy4x4

Star Valley WY

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 06:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the responses. This is very unfortunate as I custom ordered our truck from the factory, it is one of the last real trucks per-se (vinyl floor, manual trans, manual 4x4, etc). Could have easily got a 3500 at that time. It's hard to swallow that it pulls our heavy older 2002 3 horse gooseneck with 3 horses in it beautifully but can't handle a slide-in.

But it's OK, I am a mechanic. Maybe the best thing to do is find an older 3500 dually, build it up as an overland style rig, and be able to leave the camper on it all the time. That way when we go into the backwoods I won't cry if the truck takes a scratch.

Wy4x4

Star Valley WY

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kohldad wrote:

First your diesel eats up a lot of payload.

Can you explain this some more? Isn't that the point of buying the HD diesel trucks? I could never go back to gas, so much more power in the diesel.

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wy4x4 wrote:

Thanks for the responses. This is very unfortunate as I custom ordered our truck from the factory, it is one of the last real trucks per-se (vinyl floor, manual trans, manual 4x4, etc). Could have easily got a 3500 at that time. It's hard to swallow that it pulls our heavy older 2002 3 horse gooseneck with 3 horses in it beautifully but can't handle a slide-in.

But it's OK, I am a mechanic. Maybe the best thing to do is find an older 3500 dually, build it up as an overland style rig, and be able to leave the camper on it all the time. That way when we go into the backwoods I won't cry if the truck takes a scratch.
That approach has some merit . Find a cab/chassis with the narrow rear axle for more clearance . Put a flatbed on it for tons of storage . As far as diesel lowering payload , it actually helps . Almost all the TC weight is on the rear axle which is the same for gas or diesel . Hardly ever is the front axle capacity used . The diesels extra weight in the front helps balance a loaded truck .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wy4x4 wrote:

and dry bath.
Thanks!

I never wanted a wet bath coming from a travel trailer.

In all reality its not all that bad. It only takes a second to wipe the toilet down.

I'm single so this doesn't apply to me but I've read where others have commented that it gives their wife someplace to sit when they shave their legs.

There's a thread in tow vehicles where they were talking about the old Chevy 8.1L making a good second truck for towing or hauling campers.

There's lots of good used trucks out there that could be dedicated to hauling a camper.

I bought my truck with the soul purpose of hauling a truck camper.

2500HD SRW with a payload rating of 3700 lbs. I'm just a little over that. [emoticon]

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Diesel engine is heavier than a gas engine. All else equal, the resulting payload is lower because of that. Same with 4x4 vs. 4x2, Crew Cab vs. Regular Cab, luxury trim line vs. base model. The key phrase being "all else equal".

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/20 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 2018 Ram 2500 has coil springs in the rear! If it had regular leaf springs you might be able to bump up the suspension with Timbrens or Supersprings or have an extra leaf added. You would also need to upgrade the wheels and tires to 19.5". That would cost $3000-4000 or more.

Camper weights can be deceptive. The "wet" weight is often the weight of a basic camper without accessories. For my camper the accessories included an extended cab, solar panels, etc. That bumped up the weight by about 1000#. Then there are "personal items" such as cooking gear, food, clothing, tools, Honda generator and gas, etc, etc. Then remember passengers are not included in the weights for the truck or camper.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2018 RAM 2500 with Adventurer 910DB
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.