Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Folly of searching for used cargo trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Folly of searching for used cargo trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Five for five on scammers.

Finding HUNDREDS of new trailer ads, a few used trailers priced as much or more than used trailers. But OMG, the scammers... This is a typical response

Thank you very much for getting back to me but I would like to clarifysome things first.I have the clear title and the bill of sale. All the paperwork notarized by a legal attorney are ready to be transferred under new owner's name. I also want to let you know that the price is firm, non negotiable $800.00.I am selling the trailer at this price because myhusband passed away not long ago (he was very sick) and this trailerbrings me bad memories and that's the reason why I want to sell itasap. Another reason for selling it is because I work in military andright now I'm on a military base (814 Medical Detachment-Bismarck) on Bismarck,ND. We are training and getting ready to leave the country. The trailer is already at the shipping company Fargo, ND ready for delivery because someone agreed to buy it,but in the end henever got the loan. For this reason, the shipping is already paid for.I will use e bay in this transaction for our protection. If you arenot aware of this program, you should know that it will allow you totest and inspect the trailer before paying me.The inspection periodwill be set to 7 days and I think that is enough time for you to makea decision about the trailer . If you won`t like my trailer you notifye bay and you send it back at my expense. But I assure you that won't be the case.

If interested please include in your next email your contact info for eBay (full name, shipping address and phone number), so we can get the ball roll .

I'm going to need one this summer as we adjust and start balancing out stuff between the B&M and our retirement park model. It would be bonus if I could find a good deal on a car hauler, which would allow me to set up wife's garage queen in a pseudo garage.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Phil,

I was searching too, and I went to Detroit Craig's list and put in "Cargo Trailer" and a ways down, you can pick "All,Owner,Dealer". If you pick "Owner" the list gets shorter.

Oh, and you are right, there are lots of "owners" that are also dreamers. And don't even bother with FaceBook Marketplace.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/20 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few years back I inquired about a 38' Class A on Craig's List and got a similar song and dance. When I asked about inspecting it, I was told it was already "crated up and ready to ship"! They said I could inspect it when it arrived and send it back if I didn't like it with my money promptly refunded. Sure... [emoticon]

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

NJRVer

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/20 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

Five for five on scammers.

Finding HUNDREDS of new trailer ads, a few used trailers priced as much or more than used trailers. But OMG, the scammers... This is a typical response

Thank you very much for getting back to me but I would like to clarifysome things first.I have the clear title and the bill of sale. All the paperwork notarized by a legal attorney are ready to be transferred under new owner's name. I also want to let you know that the price is firm, non negotiable $800.00.I am selling the trailer at this price because myhusband passed away not long ago (he was very sick) and this trailerbrings me bad memories and that's the reason why I want to sell itasap. Another reason for selling it is because I work in military andright now I'm on a military base (814 Medical Detachment-Bismarck) on Bismarck,ND. We are training and getting ready to leave the country. The trailer is already at the shipping company Fargo, ND ready for delivery because someone agreed to buy it,but in the end henever got the loan. For this reason, the shipping is already paid for.I will use e bay in this transaction for our protection. If you arenot aware of this program, you should know that it will allow you totest and inspect the trailer before paying me.The inspection periodwill be set to 7 days and I think that is enough time for you to makea decision about the trailer . If you won`t like my trailer you notifye bay and you send it back at my expense. But I assure you that won't be the case.

If interested please include in your next email your contact info for eBay (full name, shipping address and phone number), so we can get the ball roll .

I'm going to need one this summer as we adjust and start balancing out stuff between the B&M and our retirement park model. It would be bonus if I could find a good deal on a car hauler, which would allow me to set up wife's garage queen in a pseudo garage.

That person is still in Bismark??
I got a response of that about 4 years ago when looking for a trailer. lol

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Getting ready to put my cargo trailer up for sale on Craig's List, and can't wait for the fun to begin. I've really gotten some bizarre scenarios in the past on other items. Sometimes you can insist on emails only, then a working phone, etc. We'll see how it goes ??

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

donfla

home

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good timing on this. For a new work opportunity I’ve been researching both enclosed and dump trailers extensively to dial in the right solution to handle the need trying to buy used to save cost and that ended in a lot of frustration. Finally found something new I’ve never seen before that should work perfectly and will have to have it built, a 7x16 hybrid with a 6’ front equipment deck and a 10’ dump bed rated with a 14k GVWR.

The piece of equipment I’m trying to haul and be the most efficient with is a small (roughly a 2’ x 5’ footprint) battery powered ride on floor scrapper that weighs 2500 pounds. Extreme tongue weight around 3500 pounds but will be pulled with a 2010 Silverado 1 ton dually dump truck so no problem there.

Here’s a link to the trailer solution if anyone wants to check it out: https://sleequipment.com/dump-utility-hybrid-trailer-7x16.html

Attempted to sell a piece of heavy sports equipment online recently and that ended in frustration with all of the scammers. But will say we’ve found some great deals buying used sports equipment on Craigslist over the years.

NJRVer

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/20 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

one way to weed out people is put your phone number in alpha numeric:

7three2.....

Then only somebody who takes the time to read the ad and dial the number.

I have sold quite a few things on CL and never had a problem (knock on wood).

NJRVer

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/20 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have bought two enclosed cargo trailers.
Each time bought direct from manufacturer and had them build to my specs. Way, way cheaper than buying from local dealer and those "ready made" ones are usually junk. That's why they advertise them so cheap.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Folly of searching for used cargo trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.