Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Verizon 5g as hotspot if anyone has it yet
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Verizon 5g as hotspot if anyone has it yet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't yet have 5g available in my home area yet.

If anyone has 5g already and uses their phone as a hotspot, I'm interested to know what is being offered as far as monthly hotspot data limits and is the cost up or down, compared to the 4g. I'm looking forward to a way to take my mobile hotspot home and divorcing myself from Spectrum and AT&T. I would like to just use my hotspot exclusively, at some point. May never happen in my lifetime. Spectrum has increased monthly charge by 50% in the last 3 months.

Lwiddis

Kern County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/20 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So far I understand the 5G rollout in L.A. hasn’t increase anything yet.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/20 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And when it does roll out it will be limited to major cities. The 5G broadcast range is pathetic, a matter of feet not miles. I doubt it's anything RVers will need to concern themselves with until the do a major upgrade of the tech.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

And when it does roll out it will be limited to major cities. The 5G broadcast range is pathetic, a matter of feet not miles. I doubt it's anything RVers will need to concern themselves with until the do a major upgrade of the tech.

True. From Verizon;

The shorter wavelength means 5G can carry a lot of data much faster than 4G, but it also means a much shorter range. 4G wavelengths have a range of about 10 miles. 5G wavelengths have a range of about 1,000 feet, not even 2% of 4G's range.

So roaming the country with 5G will be almost impossible unless they can somehow improve the range. Or built towers every 1,000 feet.

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/20 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But that's not stopping people from going all ga-ga over 5G although most have no idea what it all means in real life.

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/20 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is really amazing how many people go ga-ga every day over things that they have no idea what the things are. It just had big hipe on whatever media. There's a sucker born every minute, and lots of folks just handing out money. All you have to do if figure how to get them to hand it to you! And its not hard!

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and a grouchy, old, tiny dog

Williebago

Wichita, KS, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/20 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From our perspective 5G will never be anywhere I want to RV in my lifetime. That said, it would be nice if all of the providers would finish building out their 4G networks which have a 10 mile range between towers. Think of all the areas you camp that you cannot get a decent 3G signal and it goes to 1X or just "No Service".

5G is a dense urban environment technology. That said, it might replace RV park WIFI systems where a half a dozen pole mounted towers would cover a couple of hundred spaces with enough bandwidth that everyone can stream their favorite TV shows without buffering.

Time will tell, but don't hold your breath.

WILLIEBAGO

2019 Newmar Baystar 3626, F53, 252"WB with 6.8L gas engine
2003 Jeep Liberty Limited Toad
2 cockapoos, Jordy and Nelson, who love RVing

Go K-State Wildcats

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/20 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Besides blasting you brain from the ear in with higher power micro radio waves. Might as well stick you head in a microwave and see if you can watch video on the back of your eyeballs. And how many of our really smart folks can't realize this?? Anyone realize what they burn cancer out of your brain with?? Try focusing a magnifing glass on an ant sometime...

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Williebago wrote:

From our perspective 5G will never be anywhere I want to RV in my lifetime.

But then again, you never know when you'll want to camp at a really nice RV park or campground in Hoboken NJ or downtown Detroit.

Yes this is a 5G coverage area LOL.

[image]

winniman

muskoka Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Johno02 wrote:

Besides blasting you brain from the ear in with higher power micro radio waves. Might as well stick you head in a microwave and see if you can watch video on the back of your eyeballs. And how many of our really smart folks can't realize this?? Anyone realize what they burn cancer out of your brain with?? Try focusing a magnifing glass on an ant sometime...

Besides the possibility of the unknown 5g microwaves on our health, one thing I found interesting, was a program I watched that said they will have to keep 4g as well, as 5g is so finicky, they will need to supplement it with 4g to keep it constant. This show suggested driverless vehicles will have to use 4g technology due to the fact 5g is so limited in distance. They also stated that much of the 5g infrastructure will be many years away from being completed, as it is going to cost billions to implement it. Guess who is going to pay for that. Do we really need to cook ourselves so we can upload a movie a couple seconds faster. Having transmitters every 900 feet with 4g, plus 5g transmitters is going to cause health concerns. How about if all the big players add their own transmitters every 900 feet. You could have three sets of transmitters in front of your house. Wow, gotta love technology.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Verizon 5g as hotspot if anyone has it yet
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.