cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

September 2020 Suggestions/Advice

southerngirl76
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to plan our 2020 family vacation. We have two weeks including weekends and would like to go middle/end of September. It is me, my husband, 2 kids ages DD17 and DS8 and our dog and our kids are homeschooled. We drive a 24 foot class c which my husband and I both drive. I need help figuring out where to go. We are between Houston and Austin Texas.

Some locations I am thinking of are Grand Canyon with stops at Wupatki NM and Sunset Crater, maybe Tucson and Tombstone; Yellowstone; Badlands/Blackhills; Great Sand dunes, Buena Vista area, Mesa Verde Colorado. I'm not sure which one to chose. I am OK with having a couple of long days getting to and from but once we get there mostly want to have a leisurely pace and enjoy our time without rushing from place to place. We do not need full hookups or luxuries.

We are a very active family and love outdoor activities - hiking, rafting, kayaking. We also enjoy museums and quirky places. Not so much big cities. My son is interested in seeing native american ruins and he has never been to the mountains. My daughter says she doesn't care what we do and my husband says whatever you want honey just tell me when to take off work lol. Not a bad position to be in but they are no help in planning.

I want to add that we are used to super long car trips as we go visit our friends in Minnesota every other Christmas and will be in the car up to 12 hours at a time. I have done solo road trips to Colorado driving home in a long day. Activity wise I am an adventure traveler. My friends and I do week long canoe/backpack trips thru the Boundary Waters Canoe Area every summer and in May I'm hiking Guadalupe Peak, the highest point in Texas. My husband and I just got back from a jungle trip in Costa Rica. When I go someplace I intent to truly experience it.

With all that being said what can we realistically do in 2 weeks without being too terribly rushed? Input is greatly appreciated.
24 REPLIES 24

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
southerngirl76 wrote:
To the moderator - Thank you so much!

You all have helped me make a final decision - COLORADO!

I just can't pass up a chance to show the rest of my family what Colorado looks like in the fall. Looks like we will be there the last 2 weeks of September. Thanks to a wonderful suggestion I'm thinking our first stop will be Caprock Canyons SP in Texas. We have a park pass and I've been to Palo Duro but never Caprock. 2nd stop in Raton Pass, then on to the Great Sand Dunes for one night.

After that I'm stuck. Still researching. There are so many options. We could head north to Buena Vista and on to RMNP. We could head to Black Canyon of the Gunnison, down to Telluride and then to Mesa Verde. We could go down to Pagosa, Durango and Mesa Verde. We have done the Durango train before and have spent a week in Ouray. I think my kids would probably like Estes Park but I may lose my mind with the crowds.

If anyone wants to recommend campgrounds, activities and the like I am all ears. I've pressed the kids a bit more and my daughter wants to shop.....well that's a shocker. My son would like to ride ATVs or horses as well as anything native American. We are totally open to advice.

Thanks for everything so far.

After Great sand Dunes look at Twin Lakes Just a little north of Buena Vista. - It would allow the drive over Independence Pass to Aspen and Marron Bells for a day trip/hike up to the Bells, and a little shopping in Aspen for the Daughter. The drive will reveal some amazing fields/mountains covered in Aspen, the drive over will be one view the drive back another, if you are really lucky you may even catch a little Snow at the Pass. ๐Ÿ™‚

From there look at Ridgway SP or the https://www.ourayrvpark.com/RV Park of Ouray - both are great and will likely require reservations in late September. (Aspen Peepers are a big deal)

Now depending on where we are in the schedule and the Pace you enjoy time will be critical as to how much more you can do.

Silverton/Telluride/Mesa Verde/Durango - will all provide days of adventures - Aspen and Telluride will have shopping as will Durango - Mesa Verde should be just a short drive to get to.

Pretty much I'd guess you need to look at the Route Home - Durango to Pagosa Springs - .........................Problem I have is I just Love those Mountains and could just sit in a chair and wait for the Snow to cover me up, it is just that Beautiful.

We will keep pushing on this as I think I've given you more options than are possible in the time allotted.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

southerngirl76
Explorer
Explorer
To the moderator - Thank you so much!

You all have helped me make a final decision - COLORADO!

I just can't pass up a chance to show the rest of my family what Colorado looks like in the fall. Looks like we will be there the last 2 weeks of September. Thanks to a wonderful suggestion I'm thinking our first stop will be Caprock Canyons SP in Texas. We have a park pass and I've been to Palo Duro but never Caprock. 2nd stop in Raton Pass, then on to the Great Sand Dunes for one night.

After that I'm stuck. Still researching. There are so many options. We could head north to Buena Vista and on to RMNP. We could head to Black Canyon of the Gunnison, down to Telluride and then to Mesa Verde. We could go down to Pagosa, Durango and Mesa Verde. We have done the Durango train before and have spent a week in Ouray. I think my kids would probably like Estes Park but I may lose my mind with the crowds.

If anyone wants to recommend campgrounds, activities and the like I am all ears. I've pressed the kids a bit more and my daughter wants to shop.....well that's a shocker. My son would like to ride ATVs or horses as well as anything native American. We are totally open to advice.

Thanks for everything so far.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know distances, but will you be anywhere near Phoenix, Arizona? We were just there and visited the Phoenix Zoo... and I was HIGHLY impressed! Something to think about if you are nearby.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
southerngirl76 wrote:
So {Name Deleted} do you have any actual recommendations for family vacation spots for my family based on the given parameters? I shared what my son likes because I am LOOKING FOR VACATION RECOMMENDATIONS. I shared I homeschooled so folks would know we have the freedom to travel outside of the typical summer vacation time frame in case someone had any constructive advice to give. Perhaps one place or another would be better seen at another time of year. I shared information I deemed necessary to obtain advice relative to our situation.

I had no idea people here would feel the need to judge a family for their educational choices for their children based on a simple request for vacation information.

MOD'S EDIT: I deleted all the garbage from him criticizing your parenting. I'm appalled by his ignorant comments to you.

Thank You, from another Poster - ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

southerngirl76
Explorer
Explorer
So {Name Deleted} do you have any actual recommendations for family vacation spots for my family based on the given parameters? I shared what my son likes because I am LOOKING FOR VACATION RECOMMENDATIONS. I shared I homeschooled so folks would know we have the freedom to travel outside of the typical summer vacation time frame in case someone had any constructive advice to give. Perhaps one place or another would be better seen at another time of year. I shared information I deemed necessary to obtain advice relative to our situation.

I had no idea people here would feel the need to judge a family for their educational choices for their children based on a simple request for vacation information.

MOD'S EDIT: I deleted all the garbage from him criticizing your parenting. I'm appalled by his ignorant comments to you.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
I guess you'll just have to flip a coin. Will you be taking a family vacation again in the next year or two? If so, just do the other choice later. But if another vacation won't be around the same time of year, I would do Colorado this time simply because of the good chance of catching elk rut season and beautiful golden aspens.

Of course, if you do a future trip during the heat of summer, you won't want to go to southern AZ!
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

southerngirl76
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
southerngirl76 wrote:
If the Grand Canyon ends up being our destination, how many nights would you suggest? If we visited Sunset Canyon on our way and camped in the nearby national forest overnight then we could enter on the east side and take desert view drive to mather campground. Maybe 2 nights? What are some south rim things we shouldn't miss?

As it appears I'm the only one still on the Computer today - IMHO - Grand Canyon South is just Too Crowded to be an Activities destination if not making it a Major - Lottery Hike - down into the Canyon - North Rim in September and October for Me.

If that where the Choice then, Monument Valley - Page - Horseshoe bend of the Colorado - Lake Powell - Canyon de Chelly - possibly Mesa Verde or Chaco Canyon.

Not really much of an expert on the GC/south just - as Beautiful and Impressive as it is - think it's been 20 years since the last trip, with probably 4-5 trips to the North Side and loving it each time...............so

Will advise you to wait on others to comment, as it's not my sort of place.

JMHO,

For me Crowds are not why we RV - get me on a trail with more Animals than People, that will make Me smile.

Yeah I'm with you on the crowds. Not a fan. We went on a family cruise a couple of years ago at the request of my mother in law and it was totally not for me. It was so loud and crowded and I will not do that again. However, I figure I could handle a day at the south rim if it meant taking the kids to see it once. As of now I have ruled out Yellowstone and Blackhills for this trip. I'm trying to decide on Colorado - so many choices there, or Grand Canyon down to maybe Kartchner Caverns, Tombstone (to appease my husband's love of the wild west) Bisbee. I do so love Colorado though and my son has never seen mountains. Well traveled for a seven year old but never mountains.

I ran some things by my daughter today and she said "yeah mom that all sounds fun....I don't know how you will choose". Gee thanks kiddo! Haha

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
southerngirl76 wrote:
If the Grand Canyon ends up being our destination, how many nights would you suggest? If we visited Sunset Canyon on our way and camped in the nearby national forest overnight then we could enter on the east side and take desert view drive to mather campground. Maybe 2 nights? What are some south rim things we shouldn't miss?

As it appears I'm the only one still on the Computer today - IMHO - Grand Canyon South is just Too Crowded to be an Activities destination if not making it a Major - Lottery Hike - down into the Canyon - North Rim in September and October for Me.

If that where the Choice then, Monument Valley - Page - Horseshoe bend of the Colorado - Lake Powell - Canyon de Chelly - possibly Mesa Verde or Chaco Canyon.

Not really much of an expert on the GC/south just - as Beautiful and Impressive as it is - think it's been 20 years since the last trip, with probably 4-5 trips to the North Side and loving it each time...............so

Will advise you to wait on others to comment, as it's not my sort of place.

JMHO,

For me Crowds are not why we RV - get me on a trail with more Animals than People, that will make Me smile.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

southerngirl76
Explorer
Explorer
You would be correct about DD!

I am sick today and holding down the couch so this is a perfect time to research and plan! Colorado is my absolute favorite place. I grew up vacationing there. I have pretty much eliminated Yellowstone and am trying to decide now between Colorado or Arizona. Decisions, decisions.......

southerngirl76
Explorer
Explorer
If the Grand Canyon ends up being our destination, how many nights would you suggest? If we visited Sunsest Canyon on our way and camped in the nearby national forest overnight then we could enter on the east side and take desert view drive to mather campground. Maybe 2 nights? What are some south rim things we shouldn't miss?

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
southerngirl76 wrote:
Wow this is what I was was hoping for! I've now got lots of links and things to check out. I appreciate all the suggestions and advice.

And Busskipper - brown hair, green eyes....haha. I put all of that information in my original post so you guys don't have to ask. I see posts where there is hardly any info given and then it just takes longer to get solid info.

Off to research!

And I bet the DD is the of the Age and Looks that you need an Armed Guard at the door - (Joke)

You have a lot of good advice in this post - padredw Knows Texas and has likely traveled all these routes - his advice on CG's is likely Spot on - I use Wal*Mart in getting here to there, and Boondock often, seldom making reservations except on Summer weekends, so will seldom recommend a CG.

Durango and Aspen will provide relief for the DD - Mesa Verde and Canyon de Chelly will take care of the DS as to your stated wishes.

Alpine Loop and Owl Creek Pass along with the Bells and the Drive on Independence Pass to Aspen should keep you and your Hubby Happy so this might just work - Look for Devils Punch Bowl as a side stop on Independence Pass- if still warm all could take the Jump - usually others there in September - Punch Bowl Images - Quincy's for a Steak or Vegetarian Dinner at an affordable price in Buena Vista - along with K's for lunch.

Arkansas River and Crested Butte just across Cottonwood Pass, along with all the Collegiates and those Trails/Lakes..

Then The San Juan's - as close to heaven as I've ever found. Lake City if Ouray is too Busy/Big.

On and On .. Yes I love Colorado - Wal*Mart in Gunnison to resupply after Buena Vista area........

Sorry,getting excited - as we will likely do this Trip with the Granddaughters, both East and West, this Summer, Oh how I Love Colorado.

Last a link for Ouray - 3 Days in Ouray

Sorry I got carried away again but........
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

southerngirl76
Explorer
Explorer
accsys wrote:
We have been all over the southwest a few times and, in our opinion, the Chaco Culture National Historic Monument has by far the best collection of "ancient" structures but it is also the hardest to reach. Our 2013 blog post has many pictures you might like to see.

We also visited Hovenweep and Mesa Verde in 2011 with pictures of those two available at our Cortez, CO blog post.

Just about anywhere you go in the desert SW will have an ancient structure or two. The biggest problem is time as you need to travel from place to place and many of them take awhile to get to.

Really enjoyed your blog post and photos. Thanks for sharing and adding to the info.

southerngirl76
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:
At least someone gave you their opinion how you should go about raising your children from an education perspective. Not sure what that had to do with a family vacation, but these RV forums never cease to amaze, ROFLMAO.

I mostly skipped over that part. I've been homeschooling for 15 years.....I'm not stranger to unsolicited advice, I just roll with it.

southerngirl76
Explorer
Explorer
Wow this is what I was was hoping for! I've now got lots of links and things to check out. I appreciate all the suggestions and advice.

And Busskipper - brown hair, green eyes....haha. I put all of that information in my original post so you guys don't have to ask. I see posts where there is hardly any info given and then it just takes longer to get solid info.

Off to research!